Nikon Directional Dilemma

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was out with my Z6II today as I continue to learn what it can and can not do. I really do like being able to see so much in the viewfinder from my i menu for a quick switch to the historgram and as you noted EV change impacts etc.. What I do not like but new I was getting was the viewfinder lag so that what I am seeing is not what is happening now and even at 5 frames a second when trying to shoot birds in flight etc. is annoying ... one of the biggest reasons I am anxious to get the Z9 in hand.
I've had my Z9 for a week now, and am confident that you are going to really like the EVF upgrade when you get yours!

OK, Nikon has released a great mirrorless camera (Z9), and has followed up with a splendid 800mm f6.3 lens, with more intriguing S-mount lenses in the pipeline. Photographers seem highly satisfied with these new releases, and predictions abound about the demise of the DSLR. All well and good, I guess.

Meanwhile, here I sit with two D850s - arguably one of the best DSLRs Nikon ever made - and a suite of good quality F-mounted lenses. My dilemma - what to do? Sell as fast as I can and invest whatever I get in mirrorless? Slowly transition from a DSLR platform to MILC? My dilemma is made all the more confusing by the limited availability of the Z9 (unless you're a NPS member, the wait is loooong), and of course the forthcoming new S-mount lenses.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do? Please don't suggest Sony or Canon - I'm a long-time and devoted Nikon shooter. 🤓
So much varies on what you shoot and what is most important to you. As time goes on, F mount lenses will become less desirable and will go down in value as more people move to mirrorless. You’re current equipment is still excellent and will continue to perform well. That new Z9 and 800mm PF will depreciate as well, so I wouldn’t be bothered much by farther decline on the D850 and other F mount gear.

If you have a lot of F mount glass, is there any you don’t use often? If so, I’d look at selling those off. Do you normally shoot with two bodies for wildlife or just one? Do you shoot any landscape or macros? If you primarily shoot one body for wildlife and shoot landscapes, I’d consider replacing one of the D850s with a Z7/Z7ii. If you shoot two bodies for wildlife, I’d stay with two D850s so you have the same control layout and operations. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to swap everything unless it is something you really want to do. you can adapt f mount lenses and the larger the lens, the less awkward adapting becomes. Adapting a 24-70 F2.8 isn‘t going to be as nice as adapting a 500mm PF.

Im a bit biased towards mirrorless cameras as I was an early adopter and really enjoyed them before they outperformed DSLRs. If you’re comfortable with DSLRs and can resist the subject detection which can be amazing, I’d recommend going with the slow approach.

I hired a z7ii + FTZ for a weekend last summer and ended up buying one. I liked it so much my D850 ended up gathering dust. Now I'm using a Z9. Mirrorless works great for me.

So I would say hire a mirrorless camera and try it out. With the FTZ you can use all your Nikon glass and then you'll know where you want to go and you can still stay with Nikon.

Just look at all the great "F" glass you can pick up inexpensively, and just pick up a FTZ2 and a 1.4TC3 in advance as I have. As you can tell, I'm committed to staying with Nikon, since 1980's. I still have some of my old lenses and like the idea of still being able to use them, I generally shoot in manual mode. I'm taking a wait and see at the moment, as I'm most likely number 2000 on the waiting list and maybe there will be a Z9II in our future or a mirrorless DSLR. But, in the meantime I'll keep using my D850 with my new (used mint) 200-400 f4 and enjoying ever minute of it. I do photography as a hobby, for my own and my family's enjoyment and sometimes those on this forum. I used my D100 from the week it was release in 2002 until it died, December of 2019 and still have my N90S (since film is making a make comeback), I may do the same with my D850 keep it until dies.

Last edited:
To the OP: I agree with members who recommend adding a Z Camera (with FTZ) subject to your budget, and slowly moving from a hybrid system to a Z System, and where necessary continue to use F-Nikkors where they perform. I continue to rely on a D5 and D850 with my Z9.

I have a 14-30 f4S (bought Used) and 24-120 f4S as primary kit workhorses. A 40 f2 as a normal on the Z9. Otherwise the 800 f6.3S PF is only 4 figure $ I plan to get in the far more expensive Z Nikkors

{EDIT} Even though the D5 is here for lowlight and its excellent focusing et al, and the D850.... well...??? Little to add to what we in the know, know. I bought one of the very first copies in October 2017 and it's worked very hard. It is pointless to try and trade in, so will keep on doing what it does and well...

Nonetheless, the Z9 has swiftly become my primary camera with a FTZII, a DSLR cannot matched its ability to take care of sharp eyes and capture nuances of behaviours and gestures etc. Nevertheless, I am waiting and watching to see how and when Nikon act on their stated objective: "For pros/hobbyists... Deploy advanced features from the Z9 across the lineup".

Nikon couldn't be more explicit in how they plan to build the Z System - see Slide #19 in their Medium-Term Management Plan (FY2022 - 2025) published by Tokyo HQ yesterday

Last edited:
OK, Nikon has released a great mirrorless camera (Z9), and has followed up with a splendid 800mm f6.3 lens, with more intriguing S-mount lenses in the pipeline. Photographers seem highly satisfied with these new releases, and predictions abound about the demise of the DSLR. All well and good, I guess.

Meanwhile, here I sit with two D850s - arguably one of the best DSLRs Nikon ever made - and a suite of good quality F-mounted lenses. My dilemma - what to do? Sell as fast as I can and invest whatever I get in mirrorless? Slowly transition from a DSLR platform to MILC? My dilemma is made all the more confusing by the limited availability of the Z9 (unless you're a NPS member, the wait is loooong), and of course the forthcoming new S-mount lenses.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do? Please don't suggest Sony or Canon - I'm a long-time and devoted Nikon shooter. 🤓
Let me preface this response by saying I've gone from Nikon to Canon to Nikon to Sony over the course of a 30+year career and I'm not trying to bash any manufacturer. I know you don't want to hear it but why would you NOT consider Sony or Canon....................devoted Nikon shooter or not? I'd think you want the best tool for the job and right now it may be another manufacturer. Part of why I switched last year away from Nikon was exactly to avoid a dilemma like what you're facing. Nikon is just notoriously slow to release products and then to kind of slowly dole them out when they're released. Frankly I got tired of it. I loved my D850 just like you but that camera just isn't in the same league as top of the line mirrorless bodies. And of course consider that your DSLR gear is literally losing value every day as the market is flooded with it and mirrorless is fast becoming the dominant gear. Think of it as buying a VCR a couple years after Blue Ray or a cassette player after a couple years of CD's. That's where we are today and DSLR is just a dying industry I'm afraid. I couldn't switch fast enough and that was over a year ago now. Anyway, my advice is brand "loyalty" does you no good and you should consider ALL your options.

It’s simple, continue to enjoy the D850’s and be patient. The release of Z9 didn’t suddenly make the D850 a bad camera. I will eventually transition to MILC but, like my transition from DX, it will be slow, measured and orderly. Go out, take photos, have fun.

I have taken a totally different approach . I had D850 , D500 & 2 500 PFs ( apart from other lenses)
When I saw the weight of Z9 I switched to A1 + 200 600 mm & am very happy with the combo
How ever I don’t plan to sell any of my Nikon gear & waiting for a lighter Z8 to pair it with 500 PF
If Sony brings out a 500 or greater than 500 mm PF lens before Nikon Nri HS out a a Z8 would go for it & no more Nikon gear for me

I gradually made the transition from DSLR to ML since the Z7 came out in October 2018. I had a D850 and D500 which I kept for my long focal length F mount lenses and BIF, but found that I rarely used them once I had the Z7. The more Z mount lenses I acquired, the less I use the D850 and D500, but that is me as I loved the Z7 experience and the results from the Z mount lenses. I could still get 99.9% of my photography from the Z7 then Z7II even my birding shots as I don't so all that much BIF anyway. The Holy Trinity Z mount zooms are on another level compared to their F mount counterparts and every other Z lens I have is simply fantastic and worth the transition. When the Z9 was announced, I then sold my D850, D500 and my last remaining F mount lenses in November and December of last year. The only F mount lenses I have kept are the 105 f1.4E, 400 f2.8E FL VR and 500 f5.6 PF. I have kept theses lenses as there is no Z mount equivalent 105 f1.4E nor 500 f5.6 PF and the 400 f2.8 Z is simply way too expensive to change over. The 400 f2.8E FL VR is still simply a stunning lens anyway!

So, I made the decision that I would make the move to the Z system a fair while ago as I saw the writing on the wall for the F mount and DSLR's but also because I saw the advantage of the Z mount as far as IQ etc was concerned. I was not disappointed, the Z mount delivered and delivered brilliantly, IMO.

What you do now is a tough question to answer as it depends on how much you want or need to go ML, if indeed that is what you want to do. Your D850 will keep working as will your F mount lenses. Are you satisfied with your D850 and F mount lenses? If you want to go to the ML route because you think you will get better results due to the Z mount and the Z lenses then by all means sell up and transition to ML, maybe doing it gradually over time like I did. I believe my results are much better with my Z mount gear, but you have to really want to go that route.

I did pretty much the same as Lance. When the Z7 was announced I went to try one in a shop and there was stuff I liked and stuff I wasn't quite sold on. I felt that I'd prefer to slowly transition over to mirrorless though because it seemed like an inevitable change. I ended up getting all the lenses for landscape photography for the Z7 (Which I liked more for that purpose) and then just had to hold on for the Z9. I wanted the full grip body so everything has been coming up roses for me. I would like a non-gripped Z9 equivalent sometime as a 2nd body (My wife now has the Z7).

The Z9 works fantastically well with F-mount glass. In your position I'd be trying to snag a Z9 and then slowly make the transition based on what lenses you felt like changing up. You could also pick up a 2nd hand Z body and FTZ so that you can try mirrorless. You'd be able to step up later with minimal loss as a result and it would allow you to start picking up Z lenses and getting used to the system.

I did pretty much the same as Lance. When the Z7 was announced I went to try one in a shop and there was stuff I liked and stuff I wasn't quite sold on. I felt that I'd prefer to slowly transition over to mirrorless though because it seemed like an inevitable change. I ended up getting all the lenses for landscape photography for the Z7 (Which I liked more for that purpose) and then just had to hold on for the Z9. I wanted the full grip body so everything has been coming up roses for me. I would like a non-gripped Z9 equivalent sometime as a 2nd body (My wife now has the Z7).

The Z9 works fantastically well with F-mount glass. In your position I'd be trying to snag a Z9 and then slowly make the transition based on what lenses you felt like changing up. You could also pick up a 2nd hand Z body and FTZ so that you can try mirrorless. You'd be able to step up later with minimal loss as a result and it would allow you to start picking up Z lenses and getting used to the system.
After reading this reply, I think this approach is better than my previous recommendation. The Z9 with ftz to start the transition will give you more options with your transition to mirrorless than a Z7. Keep a D850 for backup and slowly replace the lenses.

I bought a z6ii to test the water, but continued to use the d850 more than the z6ii.

similar here. i added a z6ii and continued shooting my d500. but i don't miss the d500 with the z9. which is why i'm very hesitant to recommend a z6ii/z7ii. in general if you're coming from a d500, d850, d5 or d6, you probably really want to move to the z9 instead of the z6ii/z7ii... or wait for the z6iii/z7iii.

I sat back and watched as the Z6, 7, 7ii, 50, df, were released. I finally waded in with the Z9, fully intending to keep the D850, 80-400, 500 pf, and 600mm lenses. I replaced the F mount 14-24 and 24-70 with Z equivalents and replaced the 70-200/2.8 with the Z 100-400. I also got the Z 1.4 tele and the FTZ for my remaining F long glass.

That worked out well until recently when I realized that I wanted a second body for the 100-400. I just received the Z7 ii.....and sold the D850. My super sharp 80-400 AF-S is up for sale.

I was able to snag a z 9 a best buy. Took about 2 weeks of watching.

Otherwise I hold your equipment. You will see some great deals on used FX lens soon

in general if you're coming from a d500, d850, d5 or d6, you probably really want to move to the z9 instead of the z6ii/z7ii...
You're not helping my wallet, John... :(

In all seriousness, I've always drooled over the top-level pro DSLRs, but as a hobbyist it's hard to justify that expense. Even the Z9 at $5500 is a good size chunk. Plus I'm the dummy that decided THREE expensive hobbies was a good idea! I keep hoping Nikon will release a true D500 successor at closer to the D500's original MSRP (~$2000, if I recall correctly). With certain features like an add-on vertical grip, 10-pin connector...

(Feel like I'm talking myself into a Z9...)

well, there WILL be a z6iii/z7iii, or something along those lines and so waiting can be an alternative. personally i waited a number of years for the z9 because i knew i wanted mirrorless, but i needed a pro sport capable af system, so that meant wait or switch.

I liked the idea of mirrorless right after Nikon launched the Z6/Z7 but for wildlife those cameras were simply not as good as my D850 so I was just waiting for Nikon to launch a camera like the Z9. I initially planned to retain my D850 for a while to see if the Z9 could truly replace my trusty 850. Another aspect that wasn't very clear for me (also for others I guess) was how good the existing F mount lenses would perform on a Z9.

After I received my Z9, I sold my D850 in 2 weeks and one of the things that totally shocked me is how seamlessly the F mount glass perform on the Z9. In fact I find my 500 E FL doing even better with the TC on the Z9 vs my D850. Because the F mount glass work as good or at times even better on the Z9, I'm in no hurry to sell all my F mount glasses although that 800PF has kind of messed up my plan a bit because of the unique advantage it offers (size, weight, price advantage).

My recommendation to you would be to just sell one of your D850s and buy a Z9 and continue using your F mount glass unless you see some lens totally unique on the Z mount (like the 800PF).

I was in exactly the same situation with two D850's and a D5 and a couple dozen f-mount lenses. I decided that the Z9 could replace a D850 and the D5 and so I bought the Z9 and sold these two DSLR cameras. I am holding on to the D850 for the time being as I have lenses that are not FTZ compatible and little chance of getting a second Z9 in the next 4-6 months.

I replaced the 80-400mm with the 100-400mm lens and added the two S mount teleconverters. Using 4 teleconverters is a bit of a pain but I need them for the 500mm PF and the 600mm f/4. Planning to sell the 600mm and replace it with the 800mm and then I can sell the TC-20 which is too much for the 500mm PF lens. I would like to replace my 24-70mm lens with the S 24-120mm but that has been on order for months and NPS has been of no help.

Best I believe to think what you want to have for your kit in 12 months time and then move toward that goal. Even though the Z9 is in short supply there are small Nikon authorized dealers that get a smaller allocation but have a much shorter wait list and are a better bet than B&H or Adorama.

The Z9 provides the autofocus performance of the D5 and the high resolution of the D850 in a single camera. In the long run many will move to mirrorless to get this camera. The Z7 III may also be a viable alternative in terms of autofocus performance.

I’d order a Z9 and adapter at a local photo shop and when it comes in, trade in one of your D850’s towards it. Keep the other D850 for now. That way you are not without two bodies at all. You could decide later if you want to trade in the second D850 but no hurry, it’s a great camera anyhow.

I am in a similar situation, just with one D850 and a D4s with the F-mount glass and I have been thinking about the same issue, but as always it depends :).

My friend is a retired pro who now spends most of his time with nature photography, thus went for the Z9 and he (with a little bit of me ;)) decided to trade in his 800 f5.6, because for health reasons he is looking to dro off weight and the 800PF would be the ideal replacement. In this case there are good reasons to trade the 800 f5.6 in as quickly as possible because the used market price for used ones wil lmost likele drop dramatically. So , with some glass selling fast might be a good idea, providing you have already switched to mirrorless, because after the 800PF came out, probably nobody is willing to pay
If, one the other hand, we are talking about the D850, I see it differently, because it remains one of the best DSLRs you can get, and at least the people that are not focussed too much on hi speed combined with perfect AF hit rate and noise-less shooting, they will still be happy using a DSLR and willing to pay reasonable money for a good used one even in the near future. If you have good glass for it, what reason should there be to sell, as long as it meets the required. Somebody I know is in architecural and landsape photography using a D850 with primes including PC lenses only and the whole MILC stuff just doesn't bother him at all.

For me it's no question as I simply have no choice than waiting, until I have an opportunity to be able to pay the price difference. Because I need the long glass and I sometimes use two cameras setup for different targets simultaneously the price tag for moving to MILC including the required lenses would be faaaaarrrr beyond my capabilities. So I keep my stuff and keep me happy with reminding me of @Steve 's statement that 80% of a good image is made 2 inches behing the viewfinder :D. Apart from that, fortunately our "victims" normally do not think in categories like photography hardware, so they wouldn't turn away from you just because you still have a DSLR. May be the only exception are exceptionally shy creatures whose ears are good enough to hear your camera across the distance you try to overcome by using an 800mm lens - and to be honest - this can happen, which is the reason why I am dreaming of a Z9... but there is still a life outside this dream :D.

I've sold one of my D850 bodies and my daughter has confiscated the D5.
I've been using the Z9 alongside the D850 since 24th December. Its a fantastic camera.
I'm only a product photographer and not a wildlife photographer by trade.
I still find myself grabbing the D850 first because the workflow is faster (muscle memory)
The button differences with the D850/D5 and Z cameras is very different and is slowing me down so I'll probably buy the Z8 or another Z9.
But I'll be keeping my last D850 - its been such a workhorse that I just cant seem to part with it...🦘

Back