Nikon EN-EL18 Li-ion Battery, Question?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Feiertag

My spare batteries, which are not attached to my camera, discharge slowly over a few weeks. Any idea as to why? Is there a way to prevent this? BTW, before heading out, check all your battery levels. You don't want any unnecessary surprises.

All batteries lose some charge over time. I usually won't charge batteries until the day before I go out. If you are not doing so, I suggest rotating battery use, don't dedicate certain ones only as spares.

All batteries lose some charge over time. I usually won't charge batteries until the day before I go out. If you are not doing so, I suggest rotating battery use, don't dedicate certain ones only as spares.
Yes. Per above. Li Ion batteries do like to stay charged. They are not like older re-chargeable batteries that were supposed to be run all the way down before recharging. Li Ion do better if recharged as soon and as often as possible. It is not good for any battery to be allowed to stay in a discharged state for a long period of time.

Yes. Per above. Li Ion batteries do like to stay charged. They are not like older re-chargeable batteries that were supposed to be run all the way down before recharging. Li Ion do better if recharged as soon and as often as possible. It is not good for any battery to be allowed to stay in a discharged state for a long period of time.
Not entirely ... Li batteries do OK when kept fully charged and/or only allowed to partially discharge before recharging, which is one of the reasons they're so popular (along with better energy density, higher voltage and some other key properties). However for best battery life, it's better to leave them off the charger, at least if they have at least 40-50% charge in them and then charging right before use. It's *not* good to leave them in a low charge state (e.g., 30% or less). And storing them somewhat cool is good, though using them cool/cold will have a lower effective capacity. And while they don't have quite the so-called "memory effect" of older battery technology, it *is* helpful to fully discharge them periodically.

Li does have a lower "self-discharge" than most other battery chemistries, so they do maintain charge better. But, as previously stated *all* batteries self-discharge. Typically a Li battery will discharge about 5% within the first day or so and then maybe 1% per week after that. Roughly speaking.

And as Dan mentioned, it's really good to use batteries in a rotation. I mark each of my batteries with a sharpie and put a number on them and I basically just use them in number-order. That sometimes changes especially when I get new batteries, but I generally try and keep a system where I'm assured that I'm mostly using all of the batteries equally.

Back