Nikon EN-EL18D is discontinued.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There has been a lot of issues with people buying the Nikon batteries and the charger flashing 3 green lights rapidly. I think this is the batteries fully and completely discharging f due to the batteries not being rotated in their inventory. A fully discharged lithium ion battery is very bad and can be damaging to it.

I saw recently people posting about this issue and the battery date was from 2022 but bought just in the last month or so. This has not been an isolated incident
This is common with Lithium batteries. Typically, they are designed to last a year without charging. Once below a certain level, they won't recharge as the battery may have shorted internally due to the chemistry. If the inventory gets rotated properly, there usually isn't an issue. At worst case, the store needs to unbox and recharge.

Post sale, I usually try to rotate batteries all of the time, and make sure that older gear gets charged occasionally.

(I used to work on battery systems for a major consumer equipment company, and have seen internal recalls because of this).

I ordered the EN-EL18d from the Amazon Nikon store last week. It arrived quickly, but it was defective, dated 2020.06. I sent it back the next day. In the previous four weeks, I have ordered and returned four, all with a 2022 date. If you order the EN-EL18d, please check it as soon as possible; don't assume it is good. I almost let the return date expire on one before I tested it; it was bad. I had a discussion with B&H customer service a couple of days ago regarding the battery and my experience, suggesting they may have received a bad batch. B&H shows that it is currently unavailable. The box the battery comes in does not list a manufactured date; you have to open it and look at the battery for the date; they do not have individual serial numbers. The Nikon USA site lists them as available for $220.95, $70 more than B&H and Adorama. Who says inflation is moderating...

This is common with Lithium batteries. Typically, they are designed to last a year without charging. Once below a certain level, they won't recharge as the battery may have shorted internally due to the chemistry. If the inventory gets rotated properly, there usually isn't an issue. At worst case, the store needs to unbox and recharge.

Post sale, I usually try to rotate batteries all of the time, and make sure that older gear gets charged occasionally.

(I used to work on battery systems for a major consumer equipment company, and have seen internal recalls because of this).
Yes I'm aware. That's what i said earlier 😉. For those that want to learn more about lithium ion and any other types of batteries you should check out batteryuniversity.com

So I had ordered 2 from Adorama last week and they arrived Saturday. Tried to charge both and you guessed it…. multiple fast flashing lights. Searched the forum and found other threads on this. Continued throughout the weekend till this morning. No joy. So they are now on their way back.
Interesting when I spoke to Adorama customer service, they INSISTED that I first check with Nikon customer service, I guess to see if I was using the charger correctly. So I spoke with Nikon, who was somewhat perplexed that I was contacting them. Michael P confirmed that I was using it properly and recommended I return the 18ds. I called Adorama back and relayed what Nikon had told me. After that everything was a breeze.
I think I’ll hold off for awhile before I order them again.

So I had ordered 2 from Adorama last week and they arrived Saturday. Tried to charge both and you guessed it…. multiple fast flashing lights. Searched the forum and found other threads on this. Continued throughout the weekend till this morning. No joy. So they are now on their way back.
Interesting when I spoke to Adorama customer service, they INSISTED that I first check with Nikon customer service, I guess to see if I was using the charger correctly. So I spoke with Nikon, who was somewhat perplexed that I was contacting them. Michael P confirmed that I was using it properly and recommended I return the 18ds. I called Adorama back and relayed what Nikon had told me. After that everything was a breeze.
I think I’ll hold off for awhile before I order them again.
Charged my new one. Reeled off 500+ shots-no problem. Purchased from Amazon.

Back