Nikon flash query

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all. Thinking of purchasing a Nikon flash to go with my D500. I want something that is the equivalent of my Canon 580EXii , has ettl (or whatever Nikon calls it). Will be using it mainly for bird photography. Suggestions? (at this stage not interested in off brand...unless you can convince me...lol)

Prepare to be convinced.

After using Nikon flashguns for years - many years - SB 800/900 - I was about to get an SB 910 but bought a Godox V860ii and have not used the Nikon flashes since. So pleased I bought the V350 for my Fuji and will never buy abother Nikon flash again.

They come either with 4xAA battery poewer and they are called the TT 585 or something like that (if they are still available) or as the V860ii which uses a lithium power pack. In all other respects they are identical. It is only the power option that is different. The V860ii version is more expensive, but it will only take 2 seconds to recycle from a full power pop v 6 seconds for the SB900 and it will give you over 600 flashes per charge, That is around 3 times more than 4 AAs. They even have a battery indicator - something that Nikon never had - at least up to the SB910.

The V850/V860 is still around over here but it is not the one to have - it is the V860ii to go for.

It will sync with IR using the Nikon CLS or wireless with a trigger and cost under half what an SB910 cost. (the AA version was even cheaper). In the UK there are several other brands that are re-badged Godox units, the best being Pixapro (via essentialphoto.com). These are cheaper than Godox and have a 2 year warranty (or used to) and if you need any support etc you can phone them and they pick the phone up. So if you think that the Godox will suit you, check out if there are other re-branded ones where you are that give you better prices and warranty.

I got Godox wireless triggers too but recommend the Godox XPro over the other models. Again, all available under the Pixapro label over here.

If your main use will be off camera so you can set your light away from where you shoot from check out their AD200 which are very popular over here in the photographing models world. They also have AD 300/400 and 600 - all portable flashes of various power and size but might suit your need better than a speedlight. They all can be fitted with light modifiers - softboxes, snoots - grids etc. as can a speedlight, of course.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with Graham, but I bought the Godox round head, V1-N flash for my Nikon. It's a bit pricier, but has a nicer light pattern/ambience I feel. You can also get a separate kit which has a variety of light modifiers which attach magnetically to the round head.
Godox are as good as the Nikon Speed Lights and are much more affordable, leaving you spare cash to purchase an extra battery pack!
cheers,
Alex

Another vote for the Godox V1n. Mine has performed very well and the accessories mount magnetically, which is very convenient. The accessory kits including diffusers, gels, and even barn doors provide for a lot of flexibility. I added a set of Godox wirless triggers (X ProN and X1 RN) for multiple flashes. A cheap alternative to full strobes that works well.

I have several TT685n flashes and one of the TT350n units. They’re all great. I have the X1n transmitter and the matching receiver for an older SB700 I have. They all coexist together well. I don’t see much difference in the build from the SB700.
A shoe mounted model works the same as the Nikon flash.
Since I’m notoriously chea... er, economical, they fit my budget just fine.

Last edited:
Prepare to be convinced.

After using Nikon flashguns for years - many years - SB 800/900 - I was about to get an SB 910 but bought a Godox V860ii and have not used the Nikon flashes since. So pleased I bought the V350 for my Fuji and will never buy abother Nikon flash again.

They come either with 4xAA battery poewer and they are called the TT 585 or something like that (if they are still available) or as the V860ii which uses a lithium power pack. In all other respects they are identical. It is only the power option that is different. The V860ii version is more expensive, but it will only take 2 seconds to recycle from a full power pop v 6 seconds for the SB900 and it will give you over 600 flashes per charge, That is around 3 times more than 4 AAs. They even have a battery indicator - something that Nikon never had - at least up to the SB910.

The V850/V860 is still around over here but it is not the one to have - it is the V860ii to go for.

It will sync with IR using the Nikon CLS or wireless with a trigger and cost under half what an SB910 cost. (the AA version was even cheaper). In the UK there are several other brands that are re-badged Godox units, the best being Pixapro (via essentialphoto.com). These are cheaper than Godox and have a 2 year warranty (or used to) and if you need any support etc you can phone them and they pick the phone up. So if you think that the Godox will suit you, check out if there are other re-branded ones where you are that give you better prices and warranty.

I got Godox wireless triggers too but recommend the Godox XPro over the other models. Again, all available under the Pixapro label over here.

Graham's post is very informative. I have the Nikon SB800 and SB910 as well as the Nikon R1C1 macro flash kit. These work well, but are grossly over-priced as compared to the Godox and Yongnuo units. Were I in the market for flashes now, I would definitely go with the Chinese units. I don't know about their reliability, but if one breaks down, a replacement is not that expensive.

Godox and Yongnuo both have macro flash units for Nikon. The Godox is a ring flash whereas Yongnuo offers both a ring flash and a unit with two separate small flash units. I don't know how the latter operates, but with the Nikon there are 2 small flash units ( SB-R200s) that can be attached to a ring mounting unit. You can have them separated by 180 degrees or 90 degrees (e.g. 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock) and vary the lighting ratio. I often use 2:1 or 3:1. This is more versatile than a ring light.

Cheers,

Bill

I agree wholeheartedly with Graham, but I bought the Godox round head, V1-N flash for my Nikon. It's a bit pricier, but has a nicer light pattern/ambience I feel. You can also get a separate kit which has a variety of light modifiers which attach magnetically to the round head.
Godox are as good as the Nikon Speed Lights and are much more affordable, leaving you spare cash to purchase an extra battery pack!
cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex. Reason I went to the V860ii was that the roundhead was not available back then! I have got quite a few modifiers that fit the old Style heads so don't think I would have gone for one anyway. I don't think that the higher price is buying anything more than I already have as I always use them with light modifiers which diffuse and shapes the light very nicely.

Another vote for the Godox V1n. Mine has performed very well and the accessories mount magnetically, which is very convenient. The accessory kits including diffusers, gels, and even barn doors provide for a lot of flexibility. I added a set of Godox wirless triggers (X ProN and X1 RN) for multiple flashes. A cheap alternative to full strobes that works well.

Godox flashguns have built-in radio receivers! You don't need the X1RN - unless you mean you are using other brand flashguns too.

Godox flashguns have built-in radio receivers! You don't need the X1RN - unless you mean you are using other brand flashguns too.
Good catch. I use the Godox X1RN wireless receivers with my older Shanny SN600SN speedlights, and you can use the Godox XproN transmitter to remotely trigger the V1N flash. To be thorough, in slave mode the Shanny SN600SN can trigger on the light from the main flash, but using wireless receivers is more reliable when the Shanny's are not in direct line of sight or off angle with the main flash. BTW, I am happy with the Shanny SN600SN ttl speedlights as they have performed well for me and they are less expensive. It's just that the Godox units are built better and more flexible and more full featured in my opinion.

Thanks Alex. Reason I went to the V860ii was that the roundhead was not available back then! I have got quite a few modifiers that fit the old Style heads so don't think I would have gone for one anyway. I don't think that the higher price is buying anything more than I already have as I always use them with light modifiers which diffuse and shapes the light very nicely.
You're welcome!
You may already know this, but Godox also makes an inexpensive adapter which fits onto their rectangular head flashes and allows one to attach - magneticalyy!! - their round head adapters. I bought one of these for $10 cdn to use with my Godox TT685 when I want to use a second flash.....

FWIW, I use Nikon and Yongnuo flashes and have had great results with both. I've also had great results using Yongnuo wireless flash controller units for multi-flash setups (e.g. hummingbirds) which also work very well.

I use Nikon SB-800s. I also have Nikon 900s and a 910 (and an SB-600), but I always reach for the 800s when I need a small flash. The 800s are crazy cheap if you can find them used, are slightly more powerful than their newer cousins and are smaller in form. I bought the first one new and over the years 6 more used. They all still work like new. You can find them in good shape on the bay for well under $100, sometimes half that if you are patient.

I don't think you can find a better bargain.

Also, Nikons work well with Pocket Wizard products, allowing me to pair my Nikon flashes with my Einstein E640 strobes and fire everything as if it was meant to work together.

I know the Chinese flashes are well liked and have a following - I'm not knocking them, I'm just not a fan.

• Love
Reactions: BAT
SB-800 is a great flash, bought mine 11 years ago (when you could still get the new), still trouble free. Also use an SB-700, which is the same size, but it is has reduced functionality on some newer bodies compared to the SB-800 (which is kind of funny given the the SB-700 is the newer flash).

SB-800 is a great flash, bought mine 11 years ago (when you could still get the new), still trouble free. Also use an SB-700, which is the same size, but it is has reduced functionality on some newer bodies compared to the SB-800 (which is kind of funny given the the SB-700 is the newer flash).

You are correct, the SB-700 is newer, but it was a replacement for the SB-600, not the SB-800. The SB-800 is more powerful and is capable of acting as a commander for remote Nikon flashes. The SB-600 and 700 can not. There are other differences as well.

I know it was the SB-600 replacement. SB-700 does have a master setting on the dial, and I've used it. It has fewer channels, which would only matter in a multi-shooter scenario. I only got it because I didn't want a big bulky flash like the SB-900 (SB-800 replacement) at the time. I would have gotten a second SB-800 if they had still been for sale, and the used market price for SB-800s was far to high then. I purcahsed the SB-700 the year it came out. Back then the overall functionality was the same (flash strength and number of master channels aside), only on the newest generation DSLR's/mirrorless does it lose some function, and it's not CLS related.

Last edited:
You're welcome!
You may already know this, but Godox also makes an inexpensive adapter which fits onto their rectangular head flashes and allows one to attach - magneticalyy!! - their round head adapters. I bought one of these for $10 cdn to use with my Godox TT685 when I want to use a second flash.....

Yeah - I kind of knew this but I have not found myself getting the urge to get one. I think there are other makers who also do these type of adapters too. My Gary Fong Lightshere, Whaletail and my ebay copies will only fit onto the older rectangular style flashguns, although I've reduced my use of them as they are quite heavy and can overcome the flash head ratchet if you move quickly and I'm fearful of causing damage. I've moved to Rogue Flashbenders and grids which attach with a velcro strap, so no real big deal in changing them. They also are much easier to carry. My Lightsphere/Whaletail are old so pre-collapsable Lightshere, which is still harder to accomodate than a Flashbender(s) which slips into a slit pocket in my bag.

If I was starting from scratch now and using my speedlights for studio and portraits work I think the roundheads witjh magnetic attachments would be more attractive, although another thing I've not mentioned is that when I was doing interiors for a local builder I could carry 4 speedlights in my bag as they fitted in the adjustable rectangular pockets that you create in camera bags where with the the roundheads I'd probably only get 3 in. I have a good Elincrom mains powered set up for studio work and my current speedlights, for what I use them for, are good with the light modifiers I have.

I think my use of speedlights is probably more unusual than average, so if I had not followed the path that I have, I'd probably get the roundhead system. Deep down I'm not convinced that they justify their higher price though.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided that the Godox V860ii is probably the best choice for me. I don't do a lot of flash, but that unit will suffice for instances when I need it. I mainly shoot birds hand held, but I might mount the D500/500PF on a tripod with the flash on a bracket to raise it above the camera for times when the flash may be needed. I like the idea of not having to use AA batteries as needed in the SB910 and other Nikon flash units. Cheers.

• Sad
Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided that the Godox V860ii is probably the best choice for me. I don't do a lot of flash, but that unit will suffice for instances when I need it. I mainly shoot birds hand held, but I might mount the D500/500PF on a tripod with the flash on a bracket to raise it above the camera for times when the flash may be needed. I like the idea of not having to use AA batteries as needed in the SB910 and other Nikon flash units. Cheers.

Good choice! Don't forget that you can remotely mount the flash (you can get a suitable light stand very cheaply fom ebay - around 10GBP or less) in your chosen location and fire it and adjust it from the camera. either with the Nikon CLS system or with a Godox radio trigger. Advantage with radio is that it is more reliable than IR and has a much longer range up to around 100 yards. I'd recommend the Godox Xpro trigger having used other Godox triggers and third party trigger/receievers.

Also don't forget what I said about the re-branded Godox units that can be got that might have better warranties and customer service. In the UK, Pixapro brand from essentialphoto.com are probably the best but you will have to do a bit of research to see what is available where you are.

Spare battery packs are not epensive but don't get one when you buy the flash. you will probably find you don't need one. I charge my one roughly every 6 months!

Thanks Graham. Points noted. Cheers.

NP.

One other thing. Bare flash light is very harsh. Use of a diffuser or other light modifier such as a softbox will soften the light - even the one that comes with the unit. You will loose a bit of power with a diffuser but as the V860ii is more powerful then the SB900/910 it should not be an issue as long as you compensate accordingly. This is more important at closer range if the flash is remotely positioned off camera than a longer distance but in general diffused light is better. Don't know about the current Nikon range as since I got the Godox I've taken no interest in Nikon flahguns.

Beware of shadows on backgrounds, or underexposed backgrounds leading to an artificial look. Slight underexposing of the BG doesn't look bad though. Flash cplour temperature might differ from natural light depending on the conditions. You can get round this by either gelling the flash or changing the colour temp in post. This might need to be selective depending on the flash spread.

A bit of experimentation with a dummy subject will help a lot.

Last edited:
I use Nikon SB-800s. I also have Nikon 900s and a 910 (and an SB-600), but I always reach for the 800s when I need a small flash. The 800s are crazy cheap if you can find them used, are slightly more powerful than their newer cousins and are smaller in form. I bought the first one new and over the years 6 more used. They all still work like new. You can find them in good shape on the bay for well under $100, sometimes half that if you are patient.

I don't think you can find a better bargain.

Also, Nikons work well with Pocket Wizard products, allowing me to pair my Nikon flashes with my Einstein E640 strobes and fire everything as if it was meant to work together.

I know the Chinese flashes are well liked and have a following - I'm not knocking them, I'm just not a fan.
I had to look twice at your post, thought it was mine! I also have 6 SB800's and some Einstein E640's! LOL! And Pocket Wizards!

I have 4 of the SB-800 speedlights but have added a couple of Yongnuo speedlights with radio slave for Nikon for multi flash setups where they are far superior to anything from Nikon and they cost a sixth as much.

Back