Nikon HE* Compression

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot a lot of sports and have been using HE* since getting my Z9. With a quality card you don't have to worry about buffer, file sizes are smaller, the apps I use to process have all updated to address HE*, and I still have a RAW file which makes it much easier to deal with crazy color balance at some locations.

I did some tests between HE, HE*, and lossless, and overlaid them in Photoshop to see the ACTUAL differences between each.

I found there is a difference in images between HE* and Lossless, but when Photoshop pointed out exactly where the differences were, and I looked at the images, I had a hard time picking the differences out unless at 200%, and even when I did, I wouldn’t necessarily say HE* was worse.

Then, comparing HE and HE* the same way, it was easier to see the differences. I could squint at a 100% crop and maybe say there is occasionally a slight contrast reduction in high-frequency details? But I’d have to have it pointed out to me, and the difference was far smaller than any other factor potentially affecting image quality.

I shoot HE now, and enjoy the small files, infinite buffer, and fast card downloads.

Back