Nikon is shipping old and also dead batteries

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So there is a lot of conflicting information on this thread. Users reporting receiving newer batteries from the same retailer and the OP who alleges clandestine conversations suggesting a Nikon conspiracy shipping old and dysfunctional batteries to retailers. o_O

So there is a lot of conflicting information on this thread. Users reporting receiving newer batteries from the same retailer and the OP who alleges clandestine conversations suggesting a Nikon conspiracy shipping old and dysfunctional batteries to retailers. o_O
Not sure there is much conflicting info, some people got good batteries and others not. Happens. And don't think the OP was "alleging clandestine conversations". Just reporting their attempts to understand why they got multiple dead batteries. I am skeptical of much of the info one gets from people at any company (either the individual doesn't know so just makes up stuff or bad info). But not sure one can call the conversations "clandestine". Personally I thank the OP for following up and trying to get to the root of the problem and warning others that even their "new" battery can be problematic (and I will be sure to check the dates of any new battery I get).

Not sure there is much conflicting info, some people got good batteries and others not. Happens. And don't think the OP was "alleging clandestine conversations". Just reporting their attempts to understand why they got multiple dead batteries. I am skeptical of much of the info one gets from people at any company (either the individual doesn't know so just makes up stuff or bad info). But not sure one can call the conversations "clandestine". Personally I thank the OP for following up and trying to get to the root of the problem and warning others that even their "new" battery can be problematic (and I will be sure to check the dates of any new battery I get).
FWIW, I’m not slinging the arrows… the OP claims he received old and dysfunctional batteries from a retailer and they collectively blame Nikon. Seems kind of dubious. I’ve bought multiple batteries on numerous occasions from the Nikon store via Amazon and have received genuine and new product each and every time.

Last edited:
FWIW, I’m not slinging the arrows… the OP claims he received old and dysfunctional batteries from a retailer and they collectively blame Nikon. Seems kind of dubious. I’ve bought multiple batteries on numerous occasions from the Nikon store via Amazon and have received genuine and new product.
If you look at the B&H website under reviews, 6 of the last 8 confirmed buyers of this same battery had problems with it being dead on arrival. That would seem to indicate a real problem with this Nikon battery:

And if you look on reviewers of this battery that bought it from Amazon, 6 out of 7 of the most recent buyers of this battery also received defective ones. This definitely looks like a problem with Nikon:

Last edited:
I just got one from B&H. It charged normally. Date code is 2023.03. I haven't put it in the camera yet. The one currently in the camera that I got with the camera in Dec. 2022 is dated 2022.09.
I presume the main concern with old battery stock is the common report (that I cannot confirm) that if over time a battery of this type completely discharges it cannot be charged and becomes garbage.
Z9 batteries are not inexpensive.
If true - ideally a separate topic - how reasonably long can this type of battery to be left without at least checking the power level in a camera body?

Is this issue specific only to B&H?
If yes - it would seem to me to be a B&H rather than a Nikon issue.

The date code on your just bought spare battery indicates about 18 months since manufacture - compared to a probable more reasonable 2-3 months - if a retailer is able to sell spares quickly which recently for this battery is yes.
The battery in your Z9 was about 3 months old (similar to mine) by the time it reached you in your Z9.

Delivery of in-camera batteries about 3 months after manufacture seems reasonable to me for Nikon to buy-in enough stock including a modest back-up so the Z9 delivery does not stop for no batteries, for Nikon to ship a Z9 to the USA warehouse, for Nikon USA to ship it to a USA retailer and for you to receive it.

Digressing to the EN-EL 15C - it has what looks like a date code in reverse on the bottom left of the identification label.
At one time they were on back order in the UK, in the UK retailers usually order more than they need for a back-order item - and overnight all UK retailers received about 6 months supply!

I presume the main concern with old battery stock is the common report (that I cannot confirm) that if over time a battery of this type completely discharges it cannot be charged and becomes garbage.
Z9 batteries are not inexpensive.
If true - ideally a separate topic - how reasonably long can this type of battery to be left without at least checking the power level in a camera body?

Is this issue specific only to B&H?
If yes - it would seem to me to be a B&H rather than a Nikon issue.

The date code on your just bought spare battery indicates about 18 months since manufacture - compared to a probable more reasonable 2-3 months - if a retailer is able to sell spares quickly which recently for this battery is yes.
The battery in your Z9 was about 3 months old (similar to mine) by the time it reached you in your Z9.

Delivery of in-camera batteries about 3 months after manufacture seems reasonable to me for Nikon to buy-in enough stock including a modest back-up so the Z9 delivery does not stop for no batteries, for Nikon to ship a Z9 to the USA warehouse, for Nikon USA to ship it to a USA retailer and for you to receive it.

Digressing to the EN-EL 15C - it has what looks like a date code in reverse on the bottom left of the identification label.
At one time they were on back order in the UK, in the UK retailers usually order more than they need for a back-order item - and overnight all UK retailers received about 6 months supply!
But still, if I'm using and have been using a battery dated 2022.09 with no issues, why should I expect a battery dated 2023.03 to fail regardless of when I got it? I suspect the failure batteries were not because of date so much, but due to some type of defect. Here in the US, we're getting constant recalls and defective products with everything from electronics and electrics to food. 🤷‍♀️

But still, if I'm using and have been using a battery dated 2022.09 with no issues, why should I expect a battery dated 2023.03 to fail regardless of when I got it? I suspect the failure batteries were not because of date so much, but due to some type of defect. Here in the US, we're getting constant recalls and defective products with everything from electronics and electrics to food. 🤷‍♀️
Because a battery might have sat there and died due to losing power. You presumably charged yours. If these were sitting in a box losing power and not being charged for a year or more, then that might be a problem.

If you look at the B&H website under reviews, 6 of the last 8 confirmed buyers of this same battery had problems with it being dead on arrival. That would seem to indicate a real problem with this Nikon battery:

And if you look on reviewers of this battery that bought it from Amazon, 6 out of 7 of the most recent buyers of this battery also received defective ones. This definitely looks like a problem with Nikon:
I'm not doubting your experience or those of a handful of people writing reviews. If Nikon or one of their suppliers produced and released defective batteries it's on them to ensure they are replaced. Of note, the Amazon reviews (Nikon Store) are more favorable than the ones at B&H. It doesn't necessarily indicate if or who might be at fault and I appreciate the frustration involved. Thanks for bringing the issue to the fore and hope you and those affected see resolution quickly.

I might add that in my primary scientific, field of work, we are more frequently encountering material integrity and supply chain issues. It simply is a fact of life.

Because a battery might have sat there and died due to losing power. You presumably charged yours. If these were sitting in a box losing power and not being charged for a year or more, then that might be a problem.
So then, what is the expected life of a rechargeable battery? They're in millions of products, not just cameras. I would be surprised if any retailer when faced with a backorder issue (I waited months for mine) would have tons of batteries sitting on its shelves and not selling them to customers right away. To me, it would appear that Nikon or one of its manufacturers would be at fault in this situation and I imagine the retailer would make it right for its customers and then address the company.

In any case, my battery appeared to charge normally, the camera today reports it at 99%, battery life at 0. So to my camera, it appears to be a new battery. I'll watch how it does as I use it.

So then, what is the expected life of a rechargeable battery? They're in millions of products, not just cameras. I would be surprised if any retailer when faced with a backorder issue (I waited months for mine) would have tons of batteries sitting on its shelves and not selling them to customers right away. To me, it would appear that Nikon or one of its manufacturers would be at fault in this situation and I imagine the retailer would make it right for its customers and then address the company.

In any case, my battery appeared to charge normally, the camera today reports it at 99%, battery life at 0. So to my camera, it appears to be a new battery. I'll watch how it does as I use it.
Expected life isn't the issue. The problem is when they drop so low you have to effectively jump them to start them charging, if the cells aren't damaged. Batteries aren't meant to be at 0 charge. It's not good for them.

Nikon isn't at fault for the physics of batteries these days either.

Expected life isn't the issue. The problem is when they drop so low you have to effectively jump them to start them charging, if the cells aren't damaged. Batteries aren't meant to be at 0 charge. It's not good for them.

Nikon isn't at fault for the physics of batteries these days either.
I wasn't saying Nikon was at fault for battery life, but many appear to be trying to lay blame for old(er) batteries being sent for orders. I look at it this way. If it works, I'm good. At my age, my life expectancy might be less than some of my batteries.

So what does it all mean or indicate if anything at all.
Is the battery inventory matter correlate to slower camera unit sales.
Does this mean there are higher than usual stock levels of camera units ?
Is it because aftermarket batteries are good in cases and much cheaper,

I know things overall are extremely dead here in Oz at the moment.

I hear there is a resurgence of sales for selected used DSLR lenses from Europe, the OZ $ is weak............

Only an opinion

I purchased two new ones on Amazon. I set them aside for more than 30 days because they were for an upcoming trip. Both batteries ended up so dead that they could not be salvage. Amazon would not let me return them. People ordering any of these batteries from anyone need to immediately check these batteries and make sure they will take a proper charge!

I never really looked at the battery dates as I had no issues. I purchased my Z9 and extra battery on 1/26/23. Looking today the battery dates are 2022.02 and 2022.07. Not sure which one came with the camera, but either way at the the time of purchase they were 11 months and 4 months old.

Last edited:
One of the authorized Nikon dealers let me know that a few new spare batteries for the Z9 arrived from Nikon last week. These are model EN-EL18d batteries.
I ordered 2 of them and received them yesterday. I was very surprised to find that the date code printed on the battery's label shows one to be 1.5 years old and the other one is 2.5 years old.
I first checked them by putting them in my Z9 and used the menu choice Battery Info to check the battery status and charge. The one that is 1.5 years old only had 12% charge in it. The other one which is 2.5 years old did not power the camera at all. I then tried to charge them in my MH-33 charger. The one that is 2.5 years old is shorted and the charger blinked error and cannot charge it. The one that is 1.5 years old began to charge but took 8 hours. I checked it today in the camera and it is reading 99% so it seems to be fine even though it is old.

I strongly recommend that when you buy this model battery you look at the label for the date code and then check the charge in your camera so you will know whether it is working or not. I am very disappointed that Nikon is not testing the batteries before sending them to distribution and they are sending old batteries made years ago and some are dead.
I discovered that even a more recent date code on that model battery cannot ensure a battery that works as it should. About 2-3 months ago, I purchased my second Z9 new from B&H. Just a couple of weeks later the battery that came boxed with the camera began giving me problems - not holding a charge, and showing "calibration" when I checked the battery status in camera as well as when I put it in the Nikon charger. A week or so after the first issue reared its ugly head, that brand new battery began showing as "4" (old!) in camera. At first I thought I must be using one of my older Nikon batteries that came with my first Z9 purchased 2 years ago - NOPE! Those both showed date codes in late 2021 & early 2022. The one that came with the new camera had a 2024 date code.
Long story short - I contacted B&H & asked them to replace the battery since I was still within the 30 day return period. After many nonsensical back and forth emails - in which they originally insisted that I'd have to return the camera & everything that came with it - finally they agreed that I could order a new battery from them & return the defective one for a refund. The new "replacement" battery has a date code 2 months OLDER than the defective one I shipped back.
As of this writing, I have not shot enough with that replacement battery to be able to ascertain if it is or isn't also defective. However, I no longer trust the Nikon EN-EL 18d batteries. I logged onto my BlueNook account and ordered 2 Wasabi batteries from them. Both my husband and I have been using Wasabi batteries in our cameras for well over10 years with a almost NO issues. The one nd only time we had a battery go bad, they replaced it with no questions asked other than when had we purchased it. They have a three year warranty, and I believe that battery was pretty close to the 3 year mark.

B&H is no stranger to Nikon battery issues. Not long ago they had to recall Nikon EL15 batteries because they were not genuine Nikon. One explanation is that they go through distributors, who can be blamed for both problems.

As I mentioned earlier I purchased an EN-EL 18d battery from B&H in late August. I’ve had no problem with it whatsoever. Do you have a battery which charges properly in your MH-33 charger? If not, could there be a problem with the charger?

Please don’t view my comment here as a criticism. It is not. If there are more defective batteries being sold, it is a serious problem.
My response is not meant as a criticism, but I would suggest that you take a minute or two to go on the B&H site, type "Nikon EN-EL18d battery" into the search function, click on "reviews" & read over the 13 one-star (as of this writing) ratings. I haven't even investigated reviews on other sites (Adorama, Amazon, etc.), but would expect to find more of the same. My WAG is that, more than likely, none of them are due to a bad charger.
IMHO, the problems with this model battery are well-documented. There are obviously many defective EN-EL18d batteries being sold. Some defective batteries are obvious right away. Others take a short time in use.

My response is not meant as a criticism, but I would suggest that you take a minute or two to go on the B&H site, type "Nikon EN-EL18d battery" into the search function, click on "reviews" & read over the 13 one-star (as of this writing) ratings. I haven't even investigated reviews on other sites (Adorama, Amazon, etc.), but would expect to find more of the same. My WAG is that, more than likely, none of them are due to a bad charger.
IMHO, the problems with this model battery are well-documented. There are obviously many defective EN-EL18d batteries being sold. Some defective batteries are obvious right away. Others take a short time in use.
Yep you are absolutely correct! On Amazon, you need to click reviews according to the most recent, then you will also see that numerous recent buyers received defective EL18d batteries. At least in my quick look, Adorama did not seem to have any recent reviews, not sure why. That two independent suppliers (not sure if Amazon is selling them directly from Nikon) are supplying defective batteries, points to Nikon as the problem. Considering the cost of these batteries, this is very disappointing.

My response is not meant as a criticism, but I would suggest that you take a minute or two to go on the B&H site, type "Nikon EN-EL18d battery" into the search function, click on "reviews" & read over the 13 one-star (as of this writing) ratings.
Mad Mike, I infer no criticism from your reply. 🙂

I looked at the B&H reviews earlier today. All of the negative reviews were earlier in the year before B&H and other retailers pulled them from inventory. The most recent negative review was on July 8 when the battery was out of stock by B&H, so it must have been purchased some time before that. The two most recent reviews (September) are positive.

Including the one I purchased a few weeks ago, I now have three batteries in rotation. All are performing as they should. Given my own experience, I assume that the problem, whatever it was, has been sufficiently addressed by Nikon. Recent reports from others indicate otherwise. I can’t reconcile that.

I have no doubt that there were defective batteries being sold earlier in the year. Clearly, US retailers took them out of inventory for a period of time. As always, defective batteries should be returned to the retailer for exchange or refund. There are also third-party options available in the market.

Yep you are absolutely correct! On Amazon, you need to click reviews according to the most recent, then you will also see that numerous recent buyers received defective EL18d batteries. At least in my quick look, Adorama did not seem to have any recent reviews, not sure why. That two independent suppliers (not sure if Amazon is selling them directly from Nikon) are supplying defective batteries, points to Nikon as the problem. Considering the cost of these batteries, this is very disappointing.
When I checked the Amazon US site, the only listing for the Nikon battery is from Focus Camera. It’s from inventory provided by that retailer.

Same thing happened to me in May. Bought a spare battery for the Nikon Z9 and when I received it, it would not charge - just blinked fast in the charger. I tried several "fixes" but nothing worked. I returned it for a new one and I just got it last week. It took a long time to get the replacement but this one is new and charges fine.

Nikon certainly shipped them to the dealer but apparently were left on the dealer's shelves for much too long. the dealer should've returned them to Nikon.
Ummmmm, when I got mine recently, dated 2023.03 it had been on backorder. I waited months to get it. I see no purpose in a retailer telling its customers it's on backorder while they have them sitting on their shelf getting old. That makes no sense.

Does anyone know how old a battery should be when new? I recently bought an "new" EN-EL-C battery dated 2022. It's fine. i never thought to look at the date until reading this discussion. I also have some older batteries dated 2016 that still work fine. Is it possible there was just a bad batch being sold?

Back