Nikon Long lenses - Talk by Brad Hill Wed. Jul. 27

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My big takeaway is that the Z400TC went from my wishlist/some-day-down-the-line to maybe I should order one now given how awesome and versatile it seems, as well as how long it's likely to be before I'd get one in my hands (non-NPS). I went on to NikonUSA and actually tried to order one. It kept saying it was added to the cart, but if I went to the cart there was nothing there. I thought maybe it was a browser issue, tried several browsers - same thing. Then I found the thread on here saying they've stopped taking orders. :-( Man, if they're not even taking backorders .... I can't even imagine how long it's going to be before I'd be able to actually get one.
My wait for the Z 400TC here in Australia goes on, and has been 5 months to date and still no word from Nikon Australia.
There has been just a few that have sold here, and although I know I'm close to the top of the wait list I'm no closer to any delivery date, but hopeful I will receive it in time for my Nth Serengeti trip late NOV. :unsure:

I've settled on the 800mm PF, 400mm f/4.5, and Z 1.4 TC. The one long lens that is still on hand is the F-mount 600 f/4 VR, but the 800mm PF is getting most of the use and is optically very close. The one place the 600 f/4 has a distinct advantage is for low light.
I’m still toying with whether o get the 800 or not…want to go through a full season of birding here in FL before deciding. The 400/2.8 is too heavy and expensive to be considered…and although the 400/4.5 is generally rated a bit better than the 100-400 for screen output vice pixel peeking the difference is less noticeable and for me the zoom flexibility counters a lot of that. I may end up with the 800 eventually…but so far I’m not convinced it would get used enough to make it worth the cost and less flexibility…as well as the which lens goes on the Z9 and which on the Z7II conundrum as the former is better for action.

I’m still toying with whether o get the 800 or not…want to go through a full season of birding here in FL before deciding. The 400/2.8 is too heavy and expensive to be considered…and although the 400/4.5 is generally rated a bit better than the 100-400 for screen output vice pixel peeking the difference is less noticeable and for me the zoom flexibility counters a lot of that. I may end up with the 800 eventually…but so far I’m not convinced it would get used enough to make it worth the cost and less flexibility…as well as the which lens goes on the Z9 and which on the Z7II conundrum as the former is better for action.
That's the right thought process. The 800mm PF is first and foremost a birding lens or a lens for subjects where you always want lots of reach. The other place it works is for the tight head shots of mammals. It covers the long end very well but you still need something to cover environmental images. In using the 800mm, I found that 95% of my photos were tight frame filling images. That's a relatively one dimensional perspective and as your only telephoto lens would not be a good choice.

I think of the 400mm f/4.5 as covering the 300-600 range. In the 300-400 range it may be a little too tight, but it won't mean you can't get the shot. In the 400-500 range a mild crop with a reasonably fast aperture works well and is very sharp. Add the teleconverter and it is a native 560mm effective focal length, but it really covers a range from 480-650mm at f/6.3. While not perfect, that's a really nice range for a single range with excellent optical performance. I really like the 400mm focal length for mammals and for some wading birds - both with an environmental context. And of course there are lots of other uses for sports of all types.

That's the right thought process. The 800mm PF is first and foremost a birding lens or a lens for subjects where you always want lots of reach. The other place it works is for the tight head shots of mammals. It covers the long end very well but you still need something to cover environmental images. In using the 800mm, I found that 95% of my photos were tight frame filling images. That's a relatively one dimensional perspective and as your only telephoto lens would not be a good choice.

I think of the 400mm f/4.5 as covering the 300-600 range. In the 300-400 range it may be a little too tight, but it won't mean you can't get the shot. In the 400-500 range a mild crop with a reasonably fast aperture works well and is very sharp. Add the teleconverter and it is a native 560mm effective focal length, but it really covers a range from 480-650mm at f/6.3. While not perfect, that's a really nice range for a single range with excellent optical performance. I really like the 400mm focal length for mammals and for some wading birds - both with an environmental context. And of course there are lots of other uses for sports of all types.
Any thoughts about the anticipated 200-600?

Any thoughts about the anticipated 200-600?
It's probably going to be a very good zoom for wildlife. Image quality may not quite match the 400mm and it will be a slower aperture. Probably a variable aperture lens which has some negatives. But the price will likely be less than any of the lenses we are discussing. For occasional use, tight budget, or a single wildlife lens it's a good choice. It will cover birds, mammals, tight shots, and environmental. Birds in flight will probably be very good but not professional level. People rave about the Sony 200-600, but some of them still have the 600 f/4.

Some interesting discussions on lens choices .... I normally just have these discussions with myself, since these types of choices are naturally very specific to one's circumstances. But I'm curious to get some additional thoughts to swirl around in my head with my own thoughts.

Currently I shoot a significant number of my images on the really long end of things. Almost 50% of my shots are from 800mm+ and that percentage is higher if you start from the time I got the 800f5.6. Typically I'm either shooting small subjects, or I'm in a location where it's physically not possible to get closer to the subjects (one step closer and you fall off the cliff, or fall off the pier, or get submerged in water, or you're not allowed (legally and/or ethically) to leave the trail, etc). I absolutely love my 800f5.6 and love it even more with the Z9. I used to rarely use a TC other than the factory-matched 1.25X. Now I regularly use the 1.4 and sometimes even the 1.7. Of course hiking miles up-and-down steep inclines with the 800, plus monopod and other lenses is pretty fatiguing especially with some of my health issues. So when the 800PF was announced I ordered within hours of pre-orders opening. I'm still anxiously awaiting its arrival (non-NPS). Though I am curious to see how well the 800PF compares to the 800f5.6, especially in terms of backgrounds, particularly with specular highlights.

One of the things I'm trying to figure out now is what other lenses should be on my road-map, especially considering that hopefully soon I'll start traveling a little more (haven't flown since pre-COVID). Currently my travel, such as it's been, has been car-based so I can "pack heavy", though I still get grumbles from the family when half the trunk is filled with camera gear before we even start trying to put in suit cases and other family-related things. :)

I already have the Z f2.8 "trinity" which gets everything below 400mm OK. I also have the 120-300f2.8 F mount, which I absolutely love, but even though it's "only" 300mm, it's a fairly large lens and I don't think I can really manage that plus something that gets me out in the 800 range. Maybe the 400f4.5 plus TCs, but I've gotten pretty addicted to being able to shoot in fairly low light. That's why the 400TC seemed like a nearly ideal choice. The trinity (plus TCs) cover the <400mm range reasonably well, and the 400TC plus 2X TC would cover the 400-800 range pretty well. Or maybe wait for the 200-600 ... though Nikon's marketing has done a pretty good job convincing me I really want/need the S-line lenses .... :)

Some interesting discussions on lens choices .... I normally just have these discussions with myself, since these types of choices are naturally very specific to one's circumstances. But I'm curious to get some additional thoughts to swirl around in my head with my own thoughts.

Currently I shoot a significant number of my images on the really long end of things. Almost 50% of my shots are from 800mm+ and that percentage is higher if you start from the time I got the 800f5.6. Typically I'm either shooting small subjects, or I'm in a location where it's physically not possible to get closer to the subjects (one step closer and you fall off the cliff, or fall off the pier, or get submerged in water, or you're not allowed (legally and/or ethically) to leave the trail, etc). I absolutely love my 800f5.6 and love it even more with the Z9. I used to rarely use a TC other than the factory-matched 1.25X. Now I regularly use the 1.4 and sometimes even the 1.7. Of course hiking miles up-and-down steep inclines with the 800, plus monopod and other lenses is pretty fatiguing especially with some of my health issues. So when the 800PF was announced I ordered within hours of pre-orders opening. I'm still anxiously awaiting its arrival (non-NPS). Though I am curious to see how well the 800PF compares to the 800f5.6, especially in terms of backgrounds, particularly with specular highlights.

One of the things I'm trying to figure out now is what other lenses should be on my road-map, especially considering that hopefully soon I'll start traveling a little more (haven't flown since pre-COVID). Currently my travel, such as it's been, has been car-based so I can "pack heavy", though I still get grumbles from the family when half the trunk is filled with camera gear before we even start trying to put in suit cases and other family-related things. :)

I already have the Z f2.8 "trinity" which gets everything below 400mm OK. I also have the 120-300f2.8 F mount, which I absolutely love, but even though it's "only" 300mm, it's a fairly large lens and I don't think I can really manage that plus something that gets me out in the 800 range. Maybe the 400f4.5 plus TCs, but I've gotten pretty addicted to being able to shoot in fairly low light. That's why the 400TC seemed like a nearly ideal choice. The trinity (plus TCs) cover the <400mm range reasonably well, and the 400TC plus 2X TC would cover the 400-800 range pretty well. Or maybe wait for the 200-600 ... though Nikon's marketing has done a pretty good job convincing me I really want/need the S-line lenses .... :)
The 800 6.3 is amazing and I see no drop off from my 800 5.6. Do you think youd keep the 800 6.3 if the 600 f4 comes out with a TC, or just use that one exclusively?

I also own the 100-400 and 500 PF, but will be really torn on the 600 and what to do. If probably get it but not sure how thin I want to spread myself financially if I should try to keep the 800 6.3 too as a lighter option.

The 800 6.3 is amazing and I see no drop off from my 800 5.6. Do you think youd keep the 800 6.3 if the 600 f4 comes out with a TC, or just use that one exclusively?

I also own the 100-400 and 500 PF, but will be really torn on the 600 and what to do. If probably get it but not sure how thin I want to spread myself financially if I should try to keep the 800 6.3 too as a lighter option.

I have the 600f4 f-mount too (this was actually a little bit of a "mistake" ... I didn't intend to have both the 600 and 800 - long story .... I do like having both, as sometimes the 600f4 is just the right tool for a particular job, but that's a lot of money on fairly similar lenses).

So it depends a lot on what exactly the Z 600 looks like. Having a Z version would likely be better than the adapted f mount, especially with the synchro VR on the Z9, but it depends a lot on the price as to whether I'd consider it worth it, especially since I'm still hanging on to my D850 as a backup camera and having both an F and a Z 600mm seems pretty overkill, even by my standards .... It might be a really tough decision if it's a 600f4 with built-in 1.4TC. But given that the majority of my shots are at 800+ I probably wouldn't give up the 800PF.

I have the 600f4 f-mount too (this was actually a little bit of a "mistake" ... I didn't intend to have both the 600 and 800 - long story .... I do like having both, as sometimes the 600f4 is just the right tool for a particular job, but that's a lot of money on fairly similar lenses).

So it depends a lot on what exactly the Z 600 looks like. Having a Z version would likely be better than the adapted f mount, especially with the synchro VR on the Z9, but it depends a lot on the price as to whether I'd consider it worth it, especially since I'm still hanging on to my D850 as a backup camera and having both an F and a Z 600mm seems pretty overkill, even by my standards .... It might be a really tough decision if it's a 600f4 with built-in 1.4TC. But given that the majority of my shots are at 800+ I probably wouldn't give up the 800PF.
Good point; the 800 PF is much lighter too, but my biggest question would be sharpness, namely with the built in TC is the 600 going to be as sharp at 840 5.6 as the 800 6.3 is without a TC? If so its hard to justify having the PF though its a luxury lens to hold on to for warblers and good light. Tough decision.

Good point; the 800 PF is much lighter too, but my biggest question would be sharpness, namely with the built in TC is the 600 going to be as sharp at 840 5.6 as the 800 6.3 is without a TC? If so its hard to justify having the PF though its a luxury lens to hold on to for warblers and good light. Tough decision.
If I didn't need to go longer than 800, I would probably go with the 600 if it were a TC and if the sharpness was close enough. But in my case, I'd say more than 50% of my shots with my 800f5.6 are with one of the TCs attached, which is a large part of the reason I originally opted for the 800f5.6 over the 600 (and then, as mentioned, mostly as a "mistake" ended up with a 600f4 too ....). So it would be unlikely I'd give up the 800PF. But who knows .... if I start traveling more, flexibility becomes more important and the 800PF is very special-purpose. The question for me would be more between the 400TC and 600TC if that's what it ends up being. Most likely I'd go with the 400TC, as I'd still have an "800f5.6" with a 2TC and I'd be able to cover more low-light and wider FOV shots.

I am still not decided which lens will be the best choice for my style in wildlife photography: The Z 400 F4.5 or the Z 100-400 F4.5-5.6, both with TC 1.4. I will test them before deciding.
Probably the flexibility of the zoom ist much more important for me than a little more light and a little more image quality at 400mm. You miss less promising shooting opportunities with a zoom lens, because you can recompose the image in half a second. On the other hand the 400/4.5 is lighter and better to handle, I assume.
Hard decision ...

I am still not decided which lens will be the best choice for my style in wildlife photography: The Z 400 F4.5 or the Z 100-400 F4.5-5.6, both with TC 1.4. I will test them before deciding.
Probably the flexibility of the zoom ist much more important for me than a little more light and a little more image quality at 400mm. You miss less promising shooting opportunities with a zoom lens, because you can recompose the image in half a second. On the other hand the 400/4.5 is lighter and better to handle, I assume.
Hard decision ...
Check out the focal length of your last bunch of photos, it they’re 90% or more at or over 400mm then you don’t need the zoom. Not my idea, but it sounds reasonable as a place to start.

Hard decision ...
I used the Z 100-400 recently in Botswana and it was excellent for hand hold shooting of BIFs and close up subjects.....even with the 1.4 tele.

I just ordered a Z 400mm f4.5, then did a lot of thinking about it and watching Brad's discussion (twice) . When the store called to say it was in, I declined!

The 400mm is just too short and, for me, marginal in focal length using the 1.4 tele and way too slow with the 2X. (I am currently shooting a 600mm f4...). However, I bought the 2X tele for the 100-400 since Brad says is very good image quality up to 700mm. I also have an F mount 500 PF.......which most folks say takes a 1.4 tele better on the Z9 than it did on DSLRs.

In the meantime, for ME, there is a HUGE HOLE in the 500mm-600mm focal length for Z lenses. So for now, I'm shooting my 600mm till that hole gets filled in......with hopefully something that fits my needs.

I got the 2x zTC for the z70-200 as my “stop-gap“ until the z200-600 appears. I’m more a generalist type so a long prime doesn’t fill any need, just lust (🤭) while the z100-400 doesn’t appeal…I think because of the variable aperture. Not so sure. But I can wait.

I got the 2x zTC for the z70-200 as my “stop-gap“ until the z200-600 appears. I’m more a generalist type so a long prime doesn’t fill any need, just lust (🤭) while the z100-400 doesn’t appeal…I think because of the variable aperture. Not so sure. But I can wait.
The Z 70-200 F2.8 S with TC 1.4 and 2.0 also could be a solution for me, as I am more a generalist and not the guy who wants to fill the frame with small birds. The 70-200 is a fantastic lens, the rendering of colours, contrast and out of focus areas is outstanding.

Hard decision ...
The 400mm f/4.5 is an awfully good lens. I have not used it for much wildlife yet - but my images with it at last week's PGA Tour Championship were exceptional. The resolution holds up even at 300% magnification, and it's lighter than my 70-200 f/2.8. It is great with the 1.4 TC. A friend tried it with the 2x teleconverter on the Z9 and was raving about it.

For me, the 70-200, 400 f/4.5, and 800mm PF (and 1.4 TC) cover all the bases. If I photographed more insects, I might prefer the close minimum focus distance of the 100-400. For travel, I'm already able to pack both the 800mm and 400mm in my regular airplane carry on bag - along with everything else needed - but the 100-400 could be a good travel lens if that was a priority.

Back