Nikon Micro 200 f/4 D

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Will Nikon ever update the Micro 200 f/4D? Is the 105 2.8 it? For those who long for more focal length, what’s a good solution?
It's amazing how long its been since Nikon updated that particular lens and I'd think with the inclusion of Focus Shift shooting in their high end bodies including the D850 and D6 (and Z series as I understand it) which require AF-S lenses I'd think they'd have an interest in updating this classic lens.

But for now the 105mm AF-S and perhaps a TC-14 iii is your best bet in Nikon macro lenses.

Reactions: JSD
What DR said :)

The Z series is probably where we'll see an eventual update for it. Next year there's supposed to be a 105 macro for the Z series so at least it's a start. Hopefully a 200mm will come along as well. However, I think I've given up on a new 200mm for the F mount. Still, the 200 F/4 is crazy good, even as old as it is.

Reactions: JSD
Will Nikon ever update the Micro 200 f/4D? Is the 105 2.8 it? For those who long for more focal length, what’s a good solution?
According to posts on the DPreview Nikon FX forum, this lens has been discontinued. It is listed as on backorder at B&H.

Bill

I doubt that Nikon will do something here, but I think @Steve is right saying

Still, the 200 F/4 is crazy good, even as old as it is.

There is a good reason why these lenses are traded quite rarely and still for pretty high price tags these day.
When my friend gave me some guidance about macro photography and which lens to use, this one was top of the recommendation list. I got one and never regretted it. Although I don't do much macro these days, I will definitely not let it go. If you need a macro lens with a bit more reach, get one of these as long as you can get a decent copy.
AF is loud and slow, no VR, but these are things you don't need for macro anyway, but IQ is a dream.
After I got the 200 f4D I sold the 105 f2.8 VR straight away (primarily for reach, not necessarily for IQ). at the time I used the 105 f2.8 with a 3rd party tripod foot for the lens, because I wasn't happy with the stability of the support via camera at all. With the 200 f4 D you have a kind of "turntable effect" where vinyl freaks use high end turntables with a body made of rock. It weighs almost 1,2kg (!) and has an irremovable, very stable and very smoothly operating tripod foot (that will need a seaprate Arca plate) and "small parts" like my D750 (750g) are just happily hanging off the rear end without bothering the lens' balance too much :). Due to its stability it is also very tolerant for using the lens hood outdoor even with some wind, something that didn't work as good with the 105.

I bought a used 200 f/4 macro about a year ago and I use it a lot on a Z7. With focus peaking, the combo works well for insects, etc. However, focus stacking is not possible on the Z except by manual focus changes.

I doubt that Nikon will do something here, but I think @Steve is right saying

AF is loud and slow, no VR, but these are things you don't need for macro anyway, but IQ is a dream.
After I got the 200 f4D I sold the 105 f2.8 VR straight away (primarily for reach, not necessarily for IQ). at the time I used the 105 f2.8 with a 3rd party tripod foot for the lens, because I wasn't happy with the stability of the support via camera at all.

I agree that VR is of limited use on longer telephoto macro lenses since they will usually be on a tripod for closeup and macro usage. However, AFS like autofocus is very useful for focus stacking with so called focus shift shooting. Longer focal length macro lenses in the 180-200 mm range are an important segment in macro since they have a tripod collar which balances out the system and allows rapid change from landscape to portrait orientation. In addition to better working distance, the longer focal length gives better subject isolation with more background blurring.

Unfortunately, lens selection in this focal length is becoming limited. Tamron and Sigma have apparently discontinued their macros in this focal length range and a search on B&H for such lenses in Nikon F mount yields only the Nikon 200 f/4 which is on back order or discontinued and the Irix 150 mm f/2.8 which is of questionable quality. Apparently lenses in this focal length didn't sell well, perhaps due to their high price an bulk. Photographers interested in these lenses might be well off to search for good used copies. If you require AFX like autofocus, the Sigma 150 or 180 mm are good options. I have the Sigma 180 f/2.8 and am quite pleased with it. I chose it over the Nikon 200 f/4 because I like to focus stack with my D850.

Bill

If you require AFX like autofocus, the Sigma 150 or 180 mm are good options. I have the Sigma 180 f/2.8 and am quite pleased with it. I chose it over the Nikon 200 f/4 because I like to focus stack with my D850.

Well, I have never tried it myself, but I would confirm your recommendation because the Sigma 150 f2.8 actually was the seond one he recommended to me. But he made clear that is important to get the "old" one without VR/VC ! At his time I wasn't even thinking of things like focus stacking :) and I don't have camera that is able to do that on its own. So I didn't take focus stacking into consideration.

Back