Nikon published a wildlife guide for the Z8/Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The guide seems overly simplistic - as though it was written for beginner to intermediate photographers. I would have liked a lot more explanation about why specific choices should be considered - such as WB, AF area choices, frame rate, etc.

The guide seems overly simplistic - as though it was written for beginner to intermediate photographers. I would have liked a lot more explanation about why specific choices should be considered - such as WB, AF area choices, frame rate, etc.
In all fairness to Nikon, the ex "D500 and 200-500 crowd" at times NEED simplistic explanations.

Reactions: seh
In all fairness to Nikon, the ex "D500 and 200-500 crowd" at times NEED simplistic explanations.
Agreed - it just misses the mark as an NPS product. Someone like Paul van Allen has already gone a lot further in some of his presentation to professionals and advanced photographers.

And for the record - there are some excellent images made by the "D500 and 200-500 crowd". I'm sure a "Z8 and 180-600 crowd" includes both beginner and advanced photographers - and everything in between.

I wish some YouTubers had gotten this guide several years ago. It might have helped them choose the right settings. :)

Agreed - it just misses the mark as an NPS product. Someone like Paul van Allen has already gone a lot further in some of his presentation to professionals and advanced photographers.

And for the record - there are some excellent images made by the "D500 and 200-500 crowd". I'm sure a "Z8 and 180-600 crowd" includes both beginner and advanced photographers - and everything in between.

I wish some YouTubers had gotten this guide several years ago. It might have helped them choose the right settings. :)
Eh... I really don't see this guide as being suitable even for people in this category. I think it only really makes sense as a guide for people with almost no experience shooting wildlife at all, like the sorts of photographers who post on Reddit or DPreview or wherever showing off shots of a chipmunk from their 300 DX lens that's about 5% of the frame and want to know what they should do differently or what lens they should get to do more wildlife photos. (I don't intend to insult these people in trying to describe them, by the way.)

The photos in the wildlife guide are quie nice, I enjoyed looking at the captures. Also, I don't fault Nikon for trying, at least it gives novice users a beachhead to land.

I did let out a few chuckles on these settings:

1. Auto ISO to 2000? Z8/Z9 cameras can handle ISO6400 easily.
  2. Auto White Balance ? Probably no. Personally, I always set WB according to the lights on location & fine tune it in the post process.

Also, with each photo, it would be very helpful to know the distance between the photographer & subject, or it's been cropped in post-process.

For a coffee table read & beginner guide, the little book is all right.

Oliver

No doubt great images can be made with that setup. Ive made a few myself with it. But if youre coming to the Z 9 from the D500 youre likely lost when it comes to settings.

This “guide” is actually laughable. They are obviously trying to push lens sales! I don't think they even mentioned the 600PF lens because it's probably a best-seller.The article is a joke and whoever wrote it has never actually taken a wildlife shot. (Added to this a bit later)...if I kept my ISO at 2000 I would not get very many images when shooting wildlife in action and if someone sets their ISO at max. 2000 and then uses Auto ISO they better be prepared for some problems if they are shooting in low light.

Last edited:
Found here: https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive6/jsNgx001E7HK063uyaG39rhhoL57/Z9Z8_TG_Wildlife_(En)01.pdf

Thom Hogan wasn't a fan of it and is recommending everyone completely disregard it. I haven't finished reading the guide, but from what Thom said, it's pretty rough. https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/whos-writing-nikons-technic.html
I agree with Thom and Patrick…obviously not written by a wildlife photographer. Nikon should get a license from Steve and pay him for a copy of his book with every body they sell…at least the Z8/9.

This “guide” is actually laughable. They are obviously trying to push lens sales! I don't think they even mentioned the 600PF lens because it's probably a best-seller.The article is a joke and whoever wrote it has never actually taken a wildlife shot. (Added to this a bit later)...if I kept my ISO at 2000 I would not get very many images when shooting wildlife in action and if someone sets their ISO at max. 2000 and then uses Auto ISO they better be prepared for some problems if they are shooting in low light.
I felt the same.

Steve already has better books than Nikon could ever write. And how many books can you buy and then ask the author right here questions and receive answers? It is also not often you buy a book and you get constant updates as Nikon has tons of firmware updates. Steve for the win.
Yes, Steve's book are outstanding compared to others and his timely updates are really appreciated also.

When tracking wildlife with the latest firmware, does 3D still track better than Auto Area? In the past some suggested that you capture in Auto Area and handoff to 3D. I believe that Steve was one of them. Is that technique still recommended?

Steve already has better books than Nikon could ever write. And how many books can you buy and then ask the author right here questions and receive answers? It is also not often you buy a book and you get constant updates as Nikon has tons of firmware updates. Steve for the win.
All of your comments are right on the money. I don't see how anyone could ask for more than what you get with Steve's books.

When tracking wildlife with the latest firmware, does 3D still track better than Auto Area? In the past some suggested that you capture in Auto Area and handoff to 3D. I believe that Steve was one of them. Is that technique still recommended?
If memory serves, that’s Steve’s baseline recommendation. The focus area selection in Auto Area is too chaotic for me. I find that Wide-S/L or my custom C-1 (19x7) works better. I handoff to 3D when needed.

It’s difficult to get the small 3D box correctly placed over the head or eye of a subject which is moving around. That’s why handoff to 3D is recommended.

Last edited:
The technique that you described has worked very well for me and I use it frequently.

Back