Nikon Refurbished Sale

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is the first time I've seen the Plena available as a refurb (for $1800), and also the Z 28-400mm zoom (for $1100). Good pricing if you've been waiting for one of these!
I pulled the trigger on the Plena. That was too good a deal to pass up.
It is so tempting, but I swore off on buying refurbished a while ago. Now I'm thinking of turning myself into a liar.

Hurry up and sell out of these Nikon!

Last edited:
Whiskeyman - Go on...do it! You won't regret buying a Plena!! ;)

It's funny - some lenses on the used market are a TON cheaper than Nikon's refurb pricing; others are the opposite.
Example: Nikon AF-S 105mm f/1.4, easily had for under $1k used, but Nikon refurbs are $1440 on sale.
Counter-example: Nikon Plena is rarely found for under $2k used, yet is $1800 as a Nikon refurb on sale right now.

These market distortions are strange, but once you figure them out, you can hone in on the best way to purchase a great lens if you can't afford (or don't value) buying new. This assumes you are ok with refurb or used - both have risk. In my experience, the savings make self-insuring for issues pay off, especially for multiple purchases over enough time.

Whiskeyman - Go on...do it! You won't regret buying a Plena!! ;)

It's funny - some lenses on the used market are a TON cheaper than Nikon's refurb pricing; others are the opposite.
Example: Nikon AF-S 105mm f/1.4, easily had for under $1k used, but Nikon refurbs are $1440 on sale.
Counter-example: Nikon Plena is rarely found for under $2k used, yet is $1800 as a Nikon refurb on sale right now.

These market distortions are strange, but once you figure them out, you can hone in on the best way to purchase a great lens if you can't afford (or don't value) buying new. This assumes you are ok with refurb or used - both have risk. In my experience, the savings make self-insuring for issues pay off, especially for multiple purchases over enough time.
I have checked out refurbs over the years, but never found them a good deal. Mainly because the reduction is either only about 10% and/or the tax associated with the purchase puts the item near the price of a new item purchased from a seller who does not add tax nor shipping costs to the item being sold (such as B&H). And the new item carries a 1 year warranty not the 90 day warranty offered on refurbs.

Makes total sense. My point was less about new vs refurb, more about how funny the marketplace is on used vs refurb pricing, which is what I usually compare if not buying new.

Each choice is right - depending on what we value!

Makes total sense. My point was less about new vs refurb, more about how funny the marketplace is on used vs refurb pricing, which is what I usually compare if not buying new.

Each choice is right - depending on what we value!
Agree. I've bought a lot of used gear.....and "saved" ??? a lot of money over buying new over the years.

I have checked out refurbs over the years, but never found them a good deal. Mainly because the reduction is either only about 10% and/or the tax associated with the purchase puts the item near the price of a new item purchased from a seller who does not add tax nor shipping costs to the item being sold (such as B&H). And the new item carries a 1 year warranty not the 90 day warranty offered on refurbs.
I've been bitten twice by Nikon products: once, a camera, and twice, a lens. Both were refurbs...:mad:

Now, if I were at my In-Law's place in New Hampshire and could get it without sales tax, it would be even harder to resist. But in that case, I'd be looking at either the Z400 2.8 TC or the Z 600 4 TC.

I've been buying refurbished gear from Nikon for many years. Some if it is customer returns, but I've been told that the majority of it is 'demo' gear the Nikon reps take to photo shows, photo conferences, symposiums, etc. The gear is sometimes checked out to professional photographers to evaluate for purchase or reviews. Once a camera or lens doesn't look 'Mint +' it gets replaced with new gear and the demo gear goes into the refurbished system to be inspected, refurbished and sold.

So far every camera, lens, strobe I've purchased refurbished has been indistinguishable from new except it arrived wrapped in bubble wrap or in a plain, brown box rather than a gold or black box.

I snagged a refurbished Nikon Z fc with the kit zoom in black yesterday to be my casual walkabout camera.

Back