Nikon Refurbished Sale

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is the first time I've seen the Plena available as a refurb (for $1800), and also the Z 28-400mm zoom (for $1100). Good pricing if you've been waiting for one of these!
Things are slow with unit sales is the drum beat message i am hearing a lot of.
The 24-120 is tight on supply but can be obtained with a Z6III as a special package indicating the need to market and drive camera sales more.

Only an assumption.

I went and pulled the trigger on a 600 pf new with the 500 dollar discount and 0% for 2 years. A couple of days after the lens was delivered got an email from Nikon about the refurb at 3700 so an additional 600 in savings plus the 0% deal. Argh! Is there a difference between new and refurb? Is it worth an additional 600 dollars. i have never bought used or refurb..

New Nikon gear comes in a snazzy gold or black box. Refurbished Nikon gear comes in a plain brown box.
In the USA, new Nikon cameras and lenses have a 1 year warranty. Refurbished products have a 90 day warranty. Over the years I have acquired refurbished cameras and lenses from Nikon USA. I have never had a problem or complaint.

In the USA, new Nikon cameras and lenses have a 1 year warranty. Refurbished products have a 90 day warranty. Over the years I have acquired refurbished cameras and lenses from Nikon USA. I have never had a problem or complaint.
Same here. Nikon has to distinguish new vs refurb, so a white box vs retail packaging and a difference in warranty periods allow them to justify the reduced price without undermining their new product pricing. Basic marketing logic.

There is a minor but non-zero risk that a refurb is not in the same "factory new" shape as a new product. Speculation here has been most refurb are 'demo' units that are offered for sale after demo use is over while the product is in pretty much new shape, and a minority of refurb might be consumer returns. A few folks have commented in this forum about poor experiences with refurb, so it's not risk free. Most people have had a great experience however - me included. As with buying used, you take a bit of a risk in exchange for the savings, though with the 90 day warranty, there is more protection than buying private party used. Some like the refurb route, others do not - it depends on the value proposition to you.

Good luck with your decision!

As to the 90 warranty on Nikon refurbished, I discovered my credit card extends the warranty to one year, even on refurbished, as long as the item came with a warranty. You have to send a copy of the sales receipt to the credit card company.

The refurbished 600 TC was on sale for $11,160. That is a savings of $4,341 or 28%. Even if your state has a 5% sales tax, it is a savings of $3,782 or 24% over buying a new one from a camera store that pays the state tax. That seemed to be worth the risk, and missing out on the gold box.

Thanks for the info!
I bought a 24-70 f4 from Nikon refurbished that had a small internal chip on the front element. It may have been tested and found insignificant but would you accept a lens with a chip in the front element?

Everything else has been fine.

Darn Aphole computers, you have to check every word, carefully!

Thanks for the info!
I bought a 24-70 f4 from Nikon refurbished that had a small internal chip on the front element. It may have been tested and found insignificant but would you accept a lens with a chip in the front element?

Everything else has been fine.

Darn Aphole computers, you have to check every word, carefully!
I’d have returned the lens and asked for a replacement.

I’d have returned the lens and asked for a replacement.
Nikon gave me a refund and had the call tag to me by the end of the phone call. They couldn't exchange it as the price had gone up from my sale price. Their Sale Price was $700 but I found an almost new one for under $500. Their loss. LOL

I just looked over the Refurbished offerings and found nothing of interest. I pretty much have all the F Glass I'm ever going to buy. LOL

Last edited:
I just received my 400 f4.5 S from this sale and there isn't a mark on it. Other than the packaging and warranty it's indistinguishable from new. This has been my experience with Nikon refurbished products. I have to say, however, that the packaging, while adequate to protect the product during transit, was pretty rough. Nikon refurbs used to come in a labeled white box. This looked like they used whatever they had lying around the office.
Now that NikonUSA has eliminated the 5 year warranty on new lenses I don't mind the shorter warranty so much. It forces me to go out and shoot to ensure everything is up to snuff.

Back