Nikon Repairs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A month or so ago I slipped on some rocks and bashed my Nikon 200-500 lens on the rocky ground (whilst attached to my D500), resulting in the lens not being able to focus properly. I tested another lens on my D500 and it worked OK, so I was convinced it was the lens.

Fast forward and I get my lens back from Nikon after being charged $700 CAD for the repairs: However, the lens was doing the same thing. I called Nikon and they asked me to send back the lens, together with the camera, for which they paid the postage.

Yesterday, they call me to say there is nothing wrong with the lens, and there never was: they accidentally charged me the $700 without doing any repairs. It turns out the issue is with the lens mount on the camera, which just happens to cost exactly the same amount to repair. They're going to refund me the cost of the lens repair and charge me for repairing the camera, instead.

This is not a criticism of Nikon, I just thought I'd share the experience in case others have similar issues.

My recent experience.

My recent experience.

Thanks. Whilst they shouldn't have charged be for the repairs to the lens, I don't feel they are trying to rip me off as there is clearly something wrong, and if the lens tests ok, it has to be the camera.

I think Nikon repair frequently suffers from recto-cranial inversion. I sent in My Z9 that I bought in Canada after it bricked during a firmware update. They told me it shouldn't be a problem on the phone. They then sent me an estimate for $500+. It took them three weeks and several flip flops before they said they definitively wouldn't fix it under warranty because it was Canadian. Nikon CA fixed it just fine.

I recently sent them my F 1.4 for repair. I checked the box that said to go ahead if it cost the estimate. They charged my CC. They sent me an email telling me I had to log in with the repair number and approve the repair or else. I logged in and it said "estimate accepted". Hopefully I'll get it back soon.

A month or so ago I slipped on some rocks and bashed my Nikon 200-500 lens on the rocky ground (whilst attached to my D500), resulting in the lens not being able to focus properly. I tested another lens on my D500 and it worked OK, so I was convinced it was the lens.

Fast forward and I get my lens back from Nikon after being charged $700 CAD for the repairs: However, the lens was doing the same thing. I called Nikon and they asked me to send back the lens, together with the camera, for which they paid the postage.

Yesterday, they call me to say there is nothing wrong with the lens, and there never was: they accidentally charged me the $700 without doing any repairs. It turns out the issue is with the lens mount on the camera, which just happens to cost exactly the same amount to repair. They're going to refund me the cost of the lens repair and charge me for repairing the camera, instead.

This is not a criticism of Nikon, I just thought I'd share the experience in case others have similar issues.
Unless i have misunderstood, On the surface it seems there is something really not right about all this and someone in Nikon is absolutely telling porkies big time.
Its quite clear whats happened.
Its all very concerning and i would ask to talk to the service manger for someone to come clean.
Only an opinion

Unless i have misunderstood, On the surface it seems there is something really not right about all this and someone in Nikon is absolutely telling porkies big time.
Its quite clear whats happened.
Its all very concerning and i would ask to talk to the service manger for someone to come clean.
Only an opinion
Please elaborate.

Please elaborate.
Did the D500 suffer any impact at all.
Did the D500 when it came back indicate any new parts, grip, plates etc. Or details of what was actually done on the invoice.

They have sent back the lens, conducted no repairs yet charged you $700 they say by accident ? i feel that's just so wrong and should be impossible deserving a serious explanation.

They really cant charge you by accident, they have to list your lens serial number on the book in job repair order, the computerized charge invoice is tied to that job number with information of parts if any and labor used which is critical for them and you especially for history and repair warranty purposes.

Imagine if you didn't use the lens for couple of months then went back with an issue how would they tell what they did for you.

"I get my lens back from Nikon after being charged $700 CAD for the repairs: However, the lens was doing the same thing"

"I tested another lens on my D500 and it worked OK" its fair to assume it cant be the camera. It also depends on what lens you tested the D500 with, if its a small prime it would not reveal miss focus as readly as a long lens, hence their request for the camera and lens.

"Yesterday, they call me to say there is nothing wrong with the lens, and there never was" how can that be the case if you still found it not to be focusing correctly when you got it back, again using a different lens on your D500 showed the camera was OK.

Its a little suspicious, an assumption only, the only way the repairs would be coincidentally the exact same amount is if the eventual repairs actually exceeded the original $700 accidentally charged and they have discounted it to be the same for inconveniencing you.

If the camera and lens is working then that's all that matters.

VR mechanisms are very vulnerable from impacts on some lenses more than others especially and more so during operation.

Usually the camera lens mount plate or face flange is vulnerable on an impact or by carrying a heavy lens from the camera grip that over time bends the camera lens mount plate/flange causing a miss alignment of the focus point.

The other thing is a heavy knock can cause the VR mechanism to get knocked out of balance or operation causing a focus issue, that is from memory about a $700-$1000 repair depending on the lens.

My D3X had a fall snapped the 24-70 in two like a carrot but the camera front face plate that holds the lens mount plate needed to be replaced as it was slightly bent, new rubber grip kit, flange and lens plate was the repair along with a lens replacement.

All repair's i have experienced have always detailed parts and labour for warranty record purposes mostly.

I would be concerned ethically how a charge can be generated when nothing was done............that deserves a explanation from Nikon.

My alarm bells and cautious meter would be on alert is all i am saying.

Glad its all repaired and your happy.

Last edited:
I had a similar accident, I slipped on the rocks at the Barnegat Lighthouse. My camera was okay, the 1x4 converter was destroyed. My 500mm f4 had to go to the Nikon hospital. I could see the manual focus ring was damaged and couldn't turn.

Nikon replaced:
SWM, VR Unit, Lens Bayonet Mount, MR Encoder Unit, Focusing Ring all due to impact damage. The lens was adjusted, calibrated, cleaned and complete checkout. Total cost $899.77 and 7 weeks wait time. I had my daughter checkout the lens, seems to be working again.

Now when my right thumb heals from the fall I can get back out there. I fell Feb. 20, the doctors said the cast will be removed May 10.

Did the D500 suffer any impact at all.
Did the D500 when it came back indicate any new parts, grip, plates etc. Or details of what was actually done on the invoice.

They have sent back the lens, conducted no repairs yet charged you $700 they say by accident ? i feel that's just so wrong and should be impossible deserving a serious explanation.

They really cant charge you by accident, they have to list your lens serial number on the book in job repair order, the computerized charge invoice is tied to that job number with information of parts if any and labor used which is critical for them and you especially for history and repair warranty purposes.

Imagine if you didn't use the lens for couple of months then went back with an issue how would they tell what they did for you.

"I get my lens back from Nikon after being charged $700 CAD for the repairs: However, the lens was doing the same thing"

"I tested another lens on my D500 and it worked OK" its fair to assume it cant be the camera. It also depends on what lens you tested the D500 with, if its a small prime it would not reveal miss focus as readly as a long lens, hence their request for the camera and lens.

"Yesterday, they call me to say there is nothing wrong with the lens, and there never was" how can that be the case if you still found it not to be focusing correctly when you got it back, again using a different lens on your D500 showed the camera was OK.

Its a little suspicious, an assumption only, the only way the repairs would be coincidentally the exact same amount is if the eventual repairs actually exceeded the original $700 accidentally charged and they have discounted it to be the same for inconveniencing you.

If the camera and lens is working then that's all that matters.

VR mechanisms are very vulnerable from impacts on some lenses more than others especially and more so during operation.

Usually the camera lens mount plate or face flange is vulnerable on an impact or by carrying a heavy lens from the camera grip that over time bends the camera lens mount plate/flange causing a miss alignment of the focus point.

The other thing is a heavy knock can cause the VR mechanism to get knocked out of balance or operation causing a focus issue, that is from memory about a $700-$1000 repair depending on the lens.

My D3X had a fall snapped the 24-70 in two like a carrot but the camera front face plate that holds the lens mount plate needed to be replaced as it was slightly bent, new rubber grip kit, flange and lens plate was the repair along with a lens replacement.

All repair's i have experienced have always detailed parts and labour for warranty record purposes mostly.

I would be concerned ethically how a charge can be generated when nothing was done............that deserves a explanation from Nikon.

My alarm bells and cautious meter would be on alert is all i am saying.

Glad its all repaired and your happy.
You misunderstood: I haven't had the lens and camera back, yet.

They admitted a mistake with the charging for the lens and have refunded me. I'm not sure what else I can do, there. I assume all charging is done automatically as will be part of their online POS system.

Meanwhile, the camera is still being repaired, so I can't comment on that. Needless to say I'll be paying close attention to the documents it comes back with.

When it came back I tried the 200-500 on my D810 and it seemed to work ok, but Nikon wanted it and the D500 sent back so they could test them together.

I dont think the D500 hit the ground, but it could have: I can't say for sure. Regardless, a fall from 1200mm could have damaged the lens mount, even if the body didn't strike the ground as the 200-500 is quite a heavy lens.

In short: I'll wait to see how it all works out before bringing in the Feds.

You misunderstood: I haven't had the lens and camera back, yet.

They admitted a mistake with the charging for the lens and have refunded me. I'm not sure what else I can do, there. I assume all charging is done automatically as will be part of their online POS system.

Meanwhile, the camera is still being repaired, so I can't comment on that. Needless to say I'll be paying close attention to the documents it comes back with.

When it came back I tried the 200-500 on my D810 and it seemed to work ok, but Nikon wanted it and the D500 sent back so they could test them together.

I dont think the D500 hit the ground, but it could have: I can't say for sure. Regardless, a fall from 1200mm could have damaged the lens mount, even if the body didn't strike the ground as the 200-500 is quite a heavy lens.

In short: I'll wait to see how it all works out before bringing in the Feds.
I was confused it seems as i felt you tested the D500 with another lens and the D500 was ok, sorry.

All good hope it all works out for you.

A friend who owns a camera said he was never happy with Nikon's repair service -- he now sells only Canon and Sony.
It seems their is a bit of dissatisfaction over there with Nikon service.
Here in Oz its 5 stars from me and is why i stay with Nikon, i have had here nothing but first class support and service.
Maybe its because we only have 25 million people in the whole country LOL.

I was confused it seems as i felt you tested the D500 with another lens and the D500 was ok, sorry.

All good hope it all works out for you.
You're not crazy, I did say that, but it was a much shorter focal length lens (24-120) and even the 200-500 seemed to focus ok at shorter focal lengths on my D500: it was at 500mm where the major issue seemed to be originally.

I'm not saying Nikon are in the clear, I'm just saying I'll let it play out and see how it's resolved before taking it further, if I need to at all.

Well, I got my D500 and lens back, and all seems to be repaired, so that's good. However, I'm not entirely happy: It looks like they've replaced all the body panels on the camera, including the grip. I called them up and asked why: They said they like to return it in "factory" condition, suggesting I got something for free as it's "the same price" ($700 CAD). I'm not so convinced: It sounds like job padding, to me, i.e. doing unnecessary work to justify charging more for fairly standard repairs. I'll be writing to them to try and get a full explanation as to why they carried out unnecessary work.

Personally, I'd rather pay less and only have them repair what was broken, or at least be given the option. I don't mind a few scratches on my camera, especially as this one is less than a year old, and bought new from a Nikon dealer.

Back