Nikon Rumors - Nikon investing $160 million in new lens factory

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think many people don’t realize just how potent these new models are and don’t realize what can be done especially in terms of action and wildlife etc. As some do they will likely want to move to better models as I did. The big complaints I hear from many is that the high end models are too complicated and bulky. This is why my wife, and excellent photographer moved to an iPhone. Then there are those like me who will likely never try to make a living of photography but love the challenge and enjoy complexity and technilogical advancement
I welcome technology, as long as we have a choice, we all are different, some of the features are brilliant some are i guess perception and marketing.

There has been a huge learning curve for many people trying to embrace some of this new technology, the inclined or the younger generation seem to find it a breeze.
It i guess depends on which pond you swim in, the tech geek savvy or the artistic, what makes it easier is if you can understand and adapt quickly then remembering it all LOL.

Nikon put together a team to help educate users more with the mirror less transition.

Saturday morning, i jumped on the train into Sydney city, warm super fast quiet ride, got of at the Quay at harbor side, out of the train went down stairs from the station, looked outside saw it was raining, Sydney Harbor and Bridge is just beautiful in the rain, ferry's at the terminal next to the station coming and going, people running here and there, side walk restaurants all full with patrons under all the umbrellas up over the tables and fire heaters burning, a street photographers heaven lol. I walked around to the Sydney Opera House where i was going to see the show called Horizons Bangara, while waiting for about 30 minutes to go in i was taking photos, i just enjoyed looking around, mist rain contrast making memories, i got inside the opera house seated and while waiting for the show to start i shared some images taken on my old S 10 Phone after slight cropping in Snap Seed. After the show i stopped at my favorite Thai restaurant before catching the train across the street, still raining, just lovely.

On my way home i reflected on why i didn't bring my Z8 and 50mm 1.8s, or the D850 with the 24-85 VR.
Lot to be said - Sometimes the phone is enough to connect with people the I phone 15 would have made a meal of this.

Only an opinion

horizon-secondary-hero.png

The show Samsung S10 Phone
Circuler Quay at night.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Circular Quay Sydney Harbor Samsung S10 Phone

Train Sation old S10.jpg

Trains up stairs ferry's down stairs, you can catch the ferry to Manly Ocean Beach to swim or surf all day. Samsung S10 Phone

Train station upper level.jpg

Opera House upper left, an hour before Vivid light show starts Samsung S10 Phone

Last edited:
I've not read any reliable data confirming QC problems in the manufacturing of Z lenses: nor cameras either.
Going back more than 2 decades, there was evidence that a few G Type Nikkors suffered variation in image quality. Yes, one was the 80-400 G. Another was the 24-120 f4G.
There was the VR glitch in one batch of the 300 f4E PF, circa 2016-7, but unclear if this was software bugs or mechanical
Thanks for picking that up i meant to refer to Z cameras not mistakenly Z lenses, i have edited my wording, again thank you.

I welcome technology, as long as we have a choice, we all are different, some of the features are brilliant some are i guess perception and marketing.

There has been a huge learning curve for many people trying to embrace some of this new technology, the inclined or the younger generation seem to find it a breeze.
It i guess depends on which pond you swim in, the tech geek savvy or the artistic, what makes it easier is if you can understand and adapt quickly then remembering it all LOL.

Nikon put together a team to help educate users more with the mirror less transition.

Saturday morning, i jumped on the train into Sydney city, warm super fast quiet ride, got of at the Quay at harbor side, out of the train went down stairs from the station, looked outside saw it was raining, Sydney Harbor and Bridge is just beautiful in the rain, ferry's at the terminal next to the station coming and going, people running here and there, side walk restaurants all full with patrons under all the umbrellas up over the tables and fire heaters burning, a street photographers heaven lol. I walked around to the Sydney Opera House where i was going to see the show called Horizons Bangara, while waiting for about 30 minutes to go in i was taking photos, i just enjoyed looking around, mist rain contrast making memories, i got inside the opera house seated and while waiting for the show to start i shared some images taken on my old S 10 Phone after slight cropping in Snap Seed. After the show i stopped at my favorite Thai restaurant before catching the train across the street, still raining, just lovely.

On my way home i reflected on why i didn't bring my Z8 and 50mm 1.8s, or the D850 with the 24-85 VR.
Lot to be said - Sometimes the phone is enough to connect with people the I phone 15 would have made a meal of this.

Only an opinion

View attachment 91373
The show
View attachment 91376
Circular Quay Sydney Harbour

View attachment 91374
Trains up stairs ferry's down stairs, you can catch the ferry to Manly Ocean Beach to swim or surf all day.

View attachment 91377
Opera House upper left, an hour before Vivid light show starts

So, you're a fellow Sydneysider?
Yes, Sydney in the rain is very nice but it is also great in the sunshine, Sydney is great anytime. ;)
Looking back to Circular Quay from the Harbour Bridge.
3 shot panorama Z7 + 14-30 @ 24mm, 24mm 1/320s f/8.0 iso64
original.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread.

So, you're a fellow Sydneysider?
Yes, Sydney in the rain is very nice but it is also great in the sunshine, Sydney is great anytime. ;)
Looking back to Circular Quay from the Harbour Bridge.
3 shot panorama Z7 + 14-30 @ 24mm, 24mm 1/320s f/8.0 iso64
original.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread.
No worries, Stunning photo, beautiful control and composition, thanks for sharing............my snaps are hand held at night from the old 2019 Samsung S10 Phone.

No worries, Stunning photo, beautiful control and composition, thanks for sharing............my snaps are hand held at night from the old 2019 Samsung S10 Phone.
Good shots considering a Samsung S10. How was Vivid? I heard it wasn't that great this year and so I didn't go.

Good shots considering a Samsung S10. How was Vivid? I heard it wasn't that great this year and so I didn't go.
Unbelievable crowds, crazy mosh pit at times, i got special VIP pre opening night access tour in the Royal Botanical Gardens event, it was excellent, so well done, very artistic, well worth going for that one, i passed on the rest.
Turnstiles in places and charging a bomb for vantage points. Yet like tourists people just keep paying big prices, what was a annual family event has become very expensive and has turned into a money making business, didn't stay for the rest, just to crowded. Every train that pulled in was full from around 7.30 on wards, the Thai i went to for dinner was now charging $54 a dish in many cases.

Only an opinion

As to Nikon opening a lens plant i think will be a good thing, i feel the products coming from there will be in cases very special and fit the glove of the RED hand as well.

High end niche innovative products is the space to go and grow.

It would be great for Nikon also to make a range of quality lenses even for drones and other products that are just amazing. Become a little like the Copal of the camera industry was

Only an opinion

Only an opinion

View attachment 91373
The show Samsung S10 Phone
View attachment 91376
Circular Quay Sydney Harbor Samsung S10 Phone

View attachment 91374
Trains up stairs ferry's down stairs, you can catch the ferry to Manly Ocean Beach to swim or surf all day. Samsung S10 Phone

View attachment 91377
Opera House upper left, an hour before Vivid light show starts Samsung S10 Phone
I think if I were not so passionate about wildlife photography I could be quite happy with an iPhone. My wife who is an excellent photographer all the way from the darkroom days and film who got me into this pastime now only uses an iPhone and she gets really good shots. Her ability to perceive situations etc is way beyond mine. However when it comes to things like birds etc. there is no comparison. I do enjoy the technical challenges but also love how the advances in technology allow me to get more interesting moments making for better photos. So I guess it goes both ways? At least for me.

As somebody having had the privilege to look behind the scenes for elecrronic manufacturing in Japan it would be a drean to be involved in something like this from the perspective of Manufacturing Operatioonbs Management solutions and Factory Design. That said, from the figure I have in my head for greenfield factories in othe industry sectors I consider the amount of investment as "a bit small" for something completeyl new :unsure:.

The background coudl well be not only getting a betgter grip on quaklitiy management, but also independence from resoureces in countries that are not - let's say in line - with what the free world is looking for ;) .

I think if I were not so passionate about wildlife photography I could be quite happy with an iPhone. My wife who is an excellent photographer all the way from the darkroom days and film who got me into this pastime now only uses an iPhone and she gets really good shots. Her ability to perceive situations etc is way beyond mine. However when it comes to things like birds etc. there is no comparison. I do enjoy the technical challenges but also love how the advances in technology allow me to get more interesting moments making for better photos. So I guess it goes both ways? At least for me.
I hear that or similar points of view from so many people especially camera club members.

A pro photographer friend who who lives on the edge of a national park holds photography glass any brand or type of camera and takes (8 -10 max) people on 4 hour nature shoots $50 a head, he is also a master at creative macro and post processing, he uses mirror less and wouldn't go back to DSLRs for what he does.
Talented and compitant he is now holding classes for phone photography incorperating LED lighting techneques and is booked out weekeends, i cant get in till Decmeber. He says other than long distance BIF and sports action he uses his I Phone or Drone which is getteing optically rediculously good, mind you he always has a drone with him and is looking at introducing classes in that.

Your wife is enjoying what she does it seems the Phopne can give so many opertuinaties and moments, also can be a very creative tool, i am seeing things being done in camera on a phone that are very impressive.

Only an opinion

As somebody having had the privilege to look behind the scenes for elecrronic manufacturing in Japan it would be a drean to be involved in something like this from the perspective of Manufacturing Operatioonbs Management solutions and Factory Design. That said, from the figure I have in my head for greenfield factories in othe industry sectors I consider the amount of investment as "a bit small" for something completeyl new :unsure:.

The background coudl well be not only getting a betgter grip on quaklitiy management, but also independence from resoureces in countries that are not - let's say in line - with what the free world is looking for ;) .
Interesting, i assume there may also be some governement contributions incentives directly or indirectly that may be on top of the amount, often you can get governements local or natioanl to the table for 10-15% and depending on teh importance and how you do the bidding between states can reach 25%, pluss some special disocunts or tax breaks on water energy for 3 to 5 or 10 years that all add up as long as you are creating jobs and there is good PR, Given teh Jpanese econemy of late any new major project is good publicity.
Also in cases special finacing or finace rates can be had, investing means an amount where and who by is often another story.

It would be interesting to see what break up is building and what is production technology or equpitment.

I assune it is largly an assembly plant not an actual core manfacturing plant as most individual componets these days are outsorced for cost effectiveness or distribution of funds, i assume the case would more so be assembly packing distribution wharehouseing ???

My curosity is more so about the startergy and is it governement incentified.

In which case $160 million with indrect benfits is plenty ? for an assebly plant.

LOL ...........Only becuase the surfs not up and the wind is from the wrong direction LOL i offer

Only an opinion

Unbelievable crowds, crazy mosh pit at times, i got special VIP pre opening night access tour in the Royal Botanical Gardens event, it was excellent, so well done, very artistic, well worth going for that one, i passed on the rest.
Turnstiles in places and charging a bomb for vantage points. Yet like tourists people just keep paying big prices, what was a annual family event has become very expensive and has turned into a money making business, didn't stay for the rest, just to crowded. Every train that pulled in was full from around 7.30 on wards, the Thai i went to for dinner was now charging $54 a dish in many cases.

Only an opinion
Wow, $54 a dish! What Thai was that?

My wife is into good composition and less worried about having the greatest resolution and what she goes for an iPhone does well enough. The convenience and simplicity of using it works well for her. Although I have a 24-120mm lens for wide angle etc. it is tempting to just use a cell phone for many subjects. Being able to view your photos while shooting on that big screen is a bonus.

Wow, $54 a dish! What Thai was that?
Wont mention the name as they know me LOL, yes next cheapest was $45 then $38 but the main nice dishes most people like or would order were all $54 or $48, and the lines were out the door.
I got out of there for $108 for two dishes, and a small 300ml bottle of sparkling water is $9.............
I wont go back on principal, the same dish and quality near home is $25.
I think after Vivid things will drop again, also it depends on the tourist ships as well.

Sydney is stunning but now has become a real tourist city................dear as poison for locals.

The ice cream parlor on the docks can cost you $10 for two scoops on a cone or 85 cents at Mc Donald's across the road, its not the money its the principal i guess.

Back