Nikon Rumors on updates

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mike Delgado

Supporting Member
Marketplace
On the other hand... They've clearly been updating firmware for a while. I don't think what Canon does had any impact at all, especially given software lead time
Without knowing the inner workings of the strategic and marketing divisions, one can only speculate on the timing though the Olympics and Canon's releases are certainly strong motivators.

I'm not usually one that gets excited for firmware updates but since there hasn't been anything for action/wildlife/AF since FW 4.10 almost 10 months ago. This one has the potential to be pretty big. I feel this one at the very least will have a noticable kick to the AF.

I'm hoping for raw pre-capture and maybe 30fps raw in at least HE*. I feel at this point, this will be the last chance of getting pre-capture raw of any form (even if just 20fps HE*) in the Z9 and not having to wait for a Z9II. I've heard tweety birds say it's a possible limitation of the sensor and not the EXPEED 7 processor

Since FW 5.0 was really just feature added for portrait and wedding shooters.

It will be exciting if you see 6.0 before even reading the update notes since that would indicate new features

Last edited:
The 2 are not related, it’s purely based on firmware roadmap. But the code will have been finalised for a good few weeks so it’s possible it’s already in use by some shooters
What I was thinking is that if you had new features and updates in firmware for the Z9 and Z8, you’d want to get them out before the Olympics so photographers could benefit from them at the games. I understand that perhaps some photographers get early access to new firmware.

I just checked on Nikon’s site …. Z/8-9-f not there…..11am EST 7/30/24

I've been using my Z8 only for about 6 weeks, so far I am not missing anything, but of course, updates are welcome. Maybe pre-capture in RAW or 30fps in RAW (if the hardware can do that). I have not yet seen any bugs that need fixing but as I programmer, I am pretty sure there are bugs!

Hmmmmm… Just went to the Nikon site (based on suggestions here) that the firmware updates for Z/9/8/f would likely be there today, Wednesday the 31st. Nope… however, while everyone has been focused on “Z” firmware updates, DSLRs were not overlooked. I totally missed a D850 update in April…duh!!! 🙄..done
850fw1.31.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_1121.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• 850fw1.31.jpeg
    850fw1.31.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 5
wonder if raw precapture will ever be available for the Z 8 or z 9 bodies or will that be reserved for the 2nd generation of these cameras
I would add shooting 30 FPS and 20 FPS precapture if I were Nikon because that would nerf the advantage of the R5ii today. Then they can exceed that later in the next gen hardware. Everyone will be disappointed anyway if they only hit 30FPS in the next Gen Z9 and trickle down. Leaving the R5ii with that performance edge for the next probably 3 years against the Z8 would be silly if you could add it now, with a camera that costs less and have a real advantage with current hardware.

Nikon is in no position to hold back and protect from cannibalization these days, it needs to fire all the guns at all times and grab market share.

Sony’s also going to drop a probably very competitive A1ii soon and it’s likely going to be a gen ahead of everyone.

Last edited:
Back