Nikon Z 14-24 vs F 14-24

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

IainD

I will be travelling to Iceland in September to shoot landscape. This is new to me. I generally shoot wildlife, especially birds. I will be taking a Z9 and a D850. I already have an F mount 14-24. Is the Z so much better that I should consider replacing the F mount with the Z? I can share the F lens between the Z9 and the D850, but not the Z lens with the D850. Also, my local camera shop has the Z lens for $700 AUD off. I would be interested in opinions. Thank you.
i

I have not used the f mount version but reviewers i trust rate this Z lens as the sharpest of any ultra wide made by anyone. Sharper than the f mount.

i have the z mount copy and it is a wonderful lens.

As the Z 14–24 can be difficult to use with filters and there are luggage restrictions travelling to Iceland, there is much to be said for staying with your F mount version for this trip.

I would say the key question is how much you'd use the F version on the D850 vs. getting along with only the Z version on the Z9.

I have all the equipment in your scenario, have always loved the F 14-24mm, and just upgraded to the Z 14-24mm and it is miles better imo (esp in the corners) - so for any critical landscape work, I'd much prefer the Z version. But I am in the process of switching to all Z. (yes, I need to sell the D850 and the F 14-24mm plus others). At the same time, some of my fav images have come from the D850 F 14-24mm combo, but that's more about the artwork than the equipment.

With respect to filters, the Z is *much* easier to deal with since it takes 112mm filters. The F version requires 140mm [or 150mm] filters and an external holder system e.g. Fotodiox which is cumbersome and relatively fragile (I haven't used any of those systems since after my research rejected getting one for these reasons).

Have a great trip! Cheers!

...Dave...

Last edited:
As the Z 14–24 can be difficult to use with filters and there are luggage restrictions travelling to Iceland, there is much to be said for staying with your F mount version for this trip.
As Len stated, there are going to be luggage restrictions associated with your upcoming trip. Do you need both Z & D bodies? If this is a landscape trip the Z9’s wildlife abilities will not be needed. I would consider only taking the D850 and your quality “F” glass…(trinity?) The Z9, for all it does, is large and heavy and equipment management could diminish enjoyment of your trip……just a a thought

Not sure how you get from Australia to Iceland, Icelandair so does not have any meaningful luggage restrictions fro Europe to Iceland and back, ask me how I know it!

Regarding lenses, until the 14-24 Z showed up, the F-mount version was seen as the very pinnacle of wide angle lenses. So, besides wanting the Z version (nothing wrong with that), I wouldn't see any reason to switch, especially since the F version works perfectly fine on a FTZ adaptor.

As for Iceland in general, either of those lenses would do the trick. I'd also take something longer, say around or up to 300mm, Icelands landscapes just beg for intimate and abstract shots, as wrll as those at a longer distance. Everything from seascapes and waves over mountains to glaciers. That leaves a huge gap, which might need some coverage between 24 and, say, 300.

And regarding the luggage worries (no idea where those come from...), this March I took:

- D700 with grip
- D300
- 16mm fisheye
- 20-35 AF-D
- 50/1.8
- 70-180 Micro
- 300 Ai-s f4
- TC-201
- 18-70 DX
- 10-20 DX Sigma

The DX Kit fit in a small toploader for the kids, the FX gear in a backpack that fit under the front seat. I still could have taken another personal bag, say a laptop messenger bag, for myself as part of Icelandairs economy standard tariff. The two tripods went into the checked in luggage.

And that kit was overkill, the 20-35 was barely used, and mostly after the 70-180 apperture failed. The 10-30 DX was a nuissance and never once mounted. The 18-70 DX and D300 were used after the D700 AF motor died (it was quite a trip regarding equipment failure...). The D300 was also the body for birds with the 300. And the 50mm stayed at the bottom of the bag the whole time.

So I don't see any issue with taking a Z7, D850 amd a choice of lenses. Just don't ignore wildlife completely, while it is too late for Puffins and breading season is nearing its end, there are still plenty birds around, as are seals and, of course sometjing not to miss, whale watching in Husavik (if pass there, don't miss it!). They even have fish eagles at some places, so I only saw one once pretty far away. Oh, and Iceland horses! Not necessarily wild life, but something like a 300 mm lense works great for them if they are farther away.

Edit: Just saw you talk about a Z9 and a D850. Still don't see a problem, a D850 is not that much bigger than a D300 and Z9 roughly the size of a D700 with grip (that thing is heavy and huge).

Icelandairs economy standard allows for 20kg checked-in, one backbag and one personal item. Never saw them having trouble fitting this in a full plane.

Last edited:
As Len stated, there are going to be luggage restrictions associated with your upcoming trip. Do you need both Z & D bodies? If this is a landscape trip the Z9’s wildlife abilities will not be needed. I would consider only taking the D850 and your quality “F” glass…(trinity?) The Z9, for all it does, is large and heavy and equipment management could diminish enjoyment of your trip……just a a thought
Two of us will be shooting sometimes and I need a back up. But I could get Z7 or Z8…..!

I am surprised to read about possible luggage restrictions as there are no specific restrictions for us, European travellers.
If your main focus is wildlife and just the occasional landscape will the F mount do just fine.
Also read above that the Z mount is difficult to use with filters. I guess that is a typo as the F mount is the one requiring special/larger filters.

I used the F mount 14-24 for many years and loved it. It was a pain to use filters with and took up a good deal of space. I was going to buy the Z 14-24 but ended up buying the 14-30 Z F4 as a compact option. I have been very impressed with this compact lens. I am sure the 14-24 has an advantage in quality but I genuinely cannot see any difference between results from my old F mount and the Z14-30. For me this compact option has worked really well when travelling.

I will be travelling to Iceland in September to shoot landscape. This is new to me. I generally shoot wildlife, especially birds. I will be taking a Z9 and a D850. I already have an F mount 14-24. Is the Z so much better that I should consider replacing the F mount with the Z? I can share the F lens between the Z9 and the D850, but not the Z lens with the D850. Also, my local camera shop has the Z lens for $700 AUD off. I would be interested in opinions. Thank you.
i
I've shot with both the D850 / 14-24 F mount lens, and the Z9 / 14-24 Z mount lens in Iceland, and they both are top of the line camera/lens combinations. The Z 14-24 lens is sharper corner to corner, and this difference would probably be noticeable when shooting astro or northern lights photography. I dont think you would notice the difference as much (if at all) with your typical landscape shots (maybe on super low WA shots with a near foreground subject).

So for me the lens purchase determining factor for your trip would probably come down to how much astro you are planning to shoot. Otherwise, for mostly landscape photography, I don't think the difference in the lenses would be noticable enough to necessitate buying the Z lens (unless you just want an excuse to acquire the Z lens sooner, rather than later in your long term migration strategy)

As far as travel restrictions for getting gear to Iceland goes; earlier this year I took the following along with me to Iceland: Z9, Z8, Z f/2.8 trinity (e.g. 14-24, 24-70, 70-200), Z 20mm f/1.8, 1.4 TC, full sized Gitzo tripod and all the typical sundries (batteries, cards, etc.). I was happy to have all of that along with me for the trip, and I got some really nice aurora shots with the 20mm 1.8 (maybe that could be a lens consideration as well).

20240213-_Z812830.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The corner performance of the Z is way better, and has much improved flare resistance compared to F. If you have the megadap ETZ adapter you can get a Sigma 14-24 2.8 DG DN, performs like the native Z for half the price. Best value lens of all time imo

I've shot with both the D850 / 14-24 F mount lens, and the Z9 / 14-24 Z mount lens in Iceland, and they both are top of the line camera/lens combinations. The Z 14-24 lens is sharper corner to corner, and this difference would probably be noticeable when shooting astro or northern lights photography. I dont think you would notice the difference as much (if at all) with your typical landscape shots (maybe on super low WA shots with a near foreground subject).

So for me the lens purchase determining factor for your trip would probably come down to how much astro you are planning to shoot. Otherwise, for mostly landscape photography, I don't think the difference in the lenses would be noticable enough to necessitate buying the Z lens (unless you just want an excuse to acquire the Z lens sooner, rather than later in your long term migration strategy)

As far as travel restrictions for getting gear to Iceland goes; earlier this year I took the following along with me to Iceland: Z9, Z8, Z f/2.8 trinity (e.g. 14-24, 24-70, 70-200), Z 20mm f/2.8, 1.4 TC, full sized Gitzo tripod and all the typical sundries (batteries, cards, etc.). I was happy to have all of that along with me for the trip, and I got some really nice aurora shots with the 20mm 1.8 (maybe that could be a lens consideration as well).

View attachment 92983
That is truly magnificent. I think I will stick with my F mount if the difference is not night and day. Then we can share lenses better. Tempting whr=en it is so much reduced in price though.

I had the F14-24 and found it to be sharp enough for me on a D850. Guess what, due to its size and weight, I rarely used it (never took it on vacation) and instead used my 18-35 f3.5-4.5 which is a highly under rated lens. I never regretted not having my 14-24. However when I changed to the Z system, I got the Z14-24 and it seems so small and light in comparison. If those are important factors for you, then I'd suggest the Z14-24, and of course it is noticeably sharper.

I had the F14-24 and found it to be sharp enough for me on a D850. Guess what, due to its size and weight, I rarely used it (never took it on vacation) and instead used my 18-35 f3.5-4.5 which is a highly under rated lens. I never regretted not having my 14-24. However when I changed to the Z system, I got the Z14-24 and it seems so small and light in comparison. If those are important factors for you, then I'd suggest the Z14-24, and of course it is noticeably sharper.
Thank you! I am tempted.

The F-mount 14-24 set new standards when Nikon released it in 2007, but the grad filter attachment is a pain...150 system etc

The significant advantages of the Z 14-24 f2.8S are lighter more compact and above all more "filter-friendly". It's arguably one of the best Ultrawides designed to date.

Having said all this, I kept my Zeiss 15mm Distagon for challenging landscape photography, but added the light, more affordable, and more compact 14-30 f4S, which is usually shut down to f8 for landscapes on support.

FWIW, I had the F mount version for years. I sold it and got the Z mount version when I went mirrorless. The Z mount version is a very nice 'upgrade' over the f mount and I have not looked back.

Adding one more major advantage of the Z over the F - the F 14-24mm + camera body was not close to fitting in my Peak Design 3L sling bag. The Z 14-24mm + Z7 fits very well, which means it's a walkaround system for me now! Also I can fit that combo in my backpack when taking out the Z9 + 400mm f/4.5 + TCs. So for me, it was a very nice upgrade in several aspects.

Cheers!

Back