Nikon Z 14-24 vs F 14-24

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I will be travelling to Iceland in September to shoot landscape. This is new to me. I generally shoot wildlife, especially birds. I will be taking a Z9 and a D850. I already have an F mount 14-24. Is the Z so much better that I should consider replacing the F mount with the Z? I can share the F lens between the Z9 and the D850, but not the Z lens with the D850. Also, my local camera shop has the Z lens for $700 AUD off. I would be interested in opinions. Thank you.
i
I still have both lenses.
The Z version is lighter more portable and easier to fit filters to.
Both are outstanding lenses ... 🦘

I would say the key question is how much you'd use the F version on the D850 vs. getting along with only the Z version on the Z9.

I have all the equipment in your scenario, have always loved the F 14-24mm, and just upgraded to the Z 14-24mm and it is miles better imo (esp in the corners) - so for any critical landscape work, I'd much prefer the Z version. But I am in the process of switching to all Z. (yes, I need to sell the D850 and the F 14-24mm plus others). At the same time, some of my fav images have come from the D850 F 14-24mm combo, but that's more about the artwork than the equipment.

With respect to filters, the Z is *much* easier to deal with since it takes 112mm filters. The F version requires 140mm [or 150mm] filters and an external holder system e.g. Fotodiox which is cumbersome and relatively fragile (I haven't used any of those systems since after my research rejected getting one for these reasons).

Have a great trip! Cheers!

...Dave...
Thanks for this. I'm upgrading from the Tamron 15-30 to Z 14-24 or others. My reason is I use a Z9 and will be going to Foroe Island and don't want to play with Nisi S5. I'm looking for Z 14-24 and Kase magnetic filters. Of course, we all make decisions based on our needs and budget. Also, I'll spring for a Nikon Mirrorless instead of my D750.

I tested the F and the Z. I found the Z to be much sharper in the edges & corners and a bit sharper in the center. I use Kase 112mm filters. I tested all my F glass and the Z glass, Infound all the Z glass to be better. In a couple it was a lot better.

I would say the key question is how much you'd use the F version on the D850 vs. getting along with only the Z version on the Z9.

I have all the equipment in your scenario, have always loved the F 14-24mm, and just upgraded to the Z 14-24mm and it is miles better imo (esp in the corners) - so for any critical landscape work, I'd much prefer the Z version. But I am in the process of switching to all Z. (yes, I need to sell the D850 and the F 14-24mm plus others). At the same time, some of my fav images have come from the D850 F 14-24mm combo, but that's more about the artwork than the equipment.

With respect to filters, the Z is *much* easier to deal with since it takes 112mm filters. The F version requires 140mm [or 150mm] filters and an external holder system e.g. Fotodiox which is cumbersome and relatively fragile (I haven't used any of those systems since after my research rejected getting one for these reasons).

Have a great trip! Cheers!

...Dave...

Dave said, "some of my fav images have come from the D850 F 14-24mm combo, but that's more about the artwork than the equipment."

The later is whats it is mostly about....i feel

Only an opinion

Reactions: Roy
I've shot with both the D850 / 14-24 F mount lens, and the Z9 / 14-24 Z mount lens in Iceland, and they both are top of the line camera/lens combinations. The Z 14-24 lens is sharper corner to corner, and this difference would probably be noticeable when shooting astro or northern lights photography. I dont think you would notice the difference as much (if at all) with your typical landscape shots (maybe on super low WA shots with a near foreground subject).

So for me the lens purchase determining factor for your trip would probably come down to how much astro you are planning to shoot. Otherwise, for mostly landscape photography, I don't think the difference in the lenses would be noticable enough to necessitate buying the Z lens (unless you just want an excuse to acquire the Z lens sooner, rather than later in your long term migration strategy)

As far as travel restrictions for getting gear to Iceland goes; earlier this year I took the following along with me to Iceland: Z9, Z8, Z f/2.8 trinity (e.g. 14-24, 24-70, 70-200), Z 20mm f/1.8, 1.4 TC, full sized Gitzo tripod and all the typical sundries (batteries, cards, etc.). I was happy to have all of that along with me for the trip, and I got some really nice aurora shots with the 20mm 1.8 (maybe that could be a lens consideration as well).

View attachment 92983
Well explained and informative. Nice landscape.

So Kase Revolution are the only 112 mm magnetic filters on the market? I'm excluding the 150mm square systems or equivalent.
Kase 112mm filters are what I use, but I think there are a few other manufacturers out there.

Here's one from Freewell: Freewell 112mm Magnetic Quick-Swap Neutral Density Filter

I also noticed that Breakthrough has a pre-announcement out for their Mark 2 Magnetic: Mark 2 Magnetic Filter System

I have used Breakthrough (non-magnetic) filters in the past, and really liked them. They use very good glass and have little color cast.

Enjoyed the F 14-24 on my D810 - excellent lens. Used it on the Z8 once. Sold off all my F mount gear and did buy the Z 14-24 lens. As others stated the corners are better and I like the weight and form factor more.

Wanted but never used filters with the F 14-24. For the Z model I bought the NiSi hood -> https://nisiopticsusa.com/product/nisi-lens-hood-for-nikon-z-14-24mm-f2-8s-with-112mm-filter-thread/
Be forewarned the Nikon filters are expensive. I have a Nikon clear and CPL plus two NISi ND filters. Search on YouTube and you will find some videos on NiSi setup. (Probably will rarely use the CPL with sky in a shot).

I owned the F mount for years and loved using it on my D800/850. I upgraded to the Z mount last year, and there is a big difference in optical quality, and above all, the lens is super light and travel friendly compared to the F mount. If this range of focal length is something you use often, it's highly recommended to upgrade.

Thanks for this thread I will be upgrading from a Tamron 15-30 G2, due to the 150mm square ND's, to probably the Z 14- 25. The filter choices in Aus are limited for magnetic to KASE but I see Freewell now has 112mm but no kits yet. Has anyone tried both systems? My NISI S5 was good but bulky to travel with....

The 14-24 f2.8 is my most used lens. I owned the F mount lens and I used it with my D850 frequently. I now have the Z mount since I sold my D850 and now shoot 2 Z8's.

The important question is: How often do you use a 14-24? If not a lot, I'd suggest saving your money and use the F mount you already have. The Z mount is a bit better, but I doubt you would notice the difference.

I'm sure you will find other things you "need" for your trip! LOL!

NiSi 6-stop ND Filter sample photograph from Gibbs Gardens Daylily garden with Z12-24mm f/2.8 on Z8.

Attachments

• 0Z8_2046.jpg
    0Z8_2046.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 14
The 14-24 f2.8 is my most used lens. I owned the F mount lens and I used it with my D850 frequently. I now have the Z mount since I sold my D850 and now shoot 2 Z8's.

The important question is: How often do you use a 14-24? If not a lot, I'd suggest saving your money and use the F mount you already have. The Z mount is a bit better, but I doubt you would notice the difference.

Interesting, as I actually saw a difference va the F mount

Can see a comparison here which might be useful

Have the Z; once had the F. I'm sure for pixel peeping, at least, the Z will simply be a better lens technically (if I recall the techies suggest distortion is all but absent from the Z version, too). Very great thing about the Z is the lens hood nicely takes the 112 mm adapter ring for Kase magnetic filters AND that hood fits on my 50 1.2 and my 24-70 2.8 (and tho I don't own it, fits the 85 1.2 as well); which also means I can use the Kase magnetic lens cap on the Z14-24 as well, for walking about -- the Nikon system is a tad bulky really :) Ultimately I really did find the bulbous front element on the F lens a 'worry' and tho my landscape work is minimal I never did bother getting the convoluted filter solutions for the f lens, which didn't help with getting landscape stuff I liked.

I don't use it much at all, but Iceland will probably be different. I think the F mount will do the job ell, though.
Thank you.

Back