Nikon Z 180-600mm Availability

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

rbrowers

Supporting Member
Can anyone shed any light on the availability of the Nikon Z 180-600mm Lens? I am leaving for a tiger safari in India on 2 April and it looks like I will have to do with my 24-200mm Lens for my new Z8. Unfortunately, I waited untiul February to order the lens from B&H and it is still back ordered with no promise date. Looked at the Nikon USA website for ordering the lens and it shows back ordered. Sent a request to Nikon for any information and got a "sort of" I don't know answer from the Nikon support folks. Any rumors or other information would be sincerely appreciated.

Can anyone shed any light on the availability of the Nikon Z 180-600mm Lens? I am leaving for a tiger safari in India on 2 April and it looks like I will have to do with my 24-200mm Lens for my new Z8. Unfortunately, I waited untiul February to order the lens from B&H and it is still back ordered with no promise date. Looked at the Nikon USA website for ordering the lens and it shows back ordered. Sent a request to Nikon for any information and got a "sort of" I don't know answer from the Nikon support folks. Any rumors or other information would be sincerely appreciated.
Too bad I didn’t know that yesterday! Received a call yesterday saying they got one in and I was next on the list! Turned it down as it is too heavy for me and raised issues in regard to SKB case/backpack space. Could have gotten it for you! 👍

Last info I’ve seen re: B&H is that they were shipping orders from Sept/Oct. It’s probably going to be awhile before they ship recent orders.

UK retailers such as Grays of Westminster have the lens in stock for £1,799 (approx $2300). It’d be worth an email to see if they’d ship to USA in time for your trip.

I hesitate to recommend this but I’ve seen various gray market sellers which say they have it in stock. You can find them by googling. Buyer beware with these sellers, though.

Check other USA retailers daily to see if they have it in stock. Hope you can find one in time for your trip!

It might vary by region but my wating time was about 10 weeks (order beginning of December, delivery mid February)

Here it seems like the big dealers (Camera Expresss is shipping across Europe) were a bit slower, because many clients tend to order from the bigger companies, and because Nikon seems to prefer thriving for not splitting packaged orders the time until a big order package can be shipped is sometimes longer as for smaller dealers having ordered a smaller quantity. I could observe the availablity traffic lights in smaller online shops going on green faster.

Good luck and "happy tigering" :D

You may want to check Panamoz.com (UK). Though selling new grey market products, they offer lower prices than most US dealers and they ship to the US for free (7-10 days, better let them know your trip date, so they can expedite). Their products won't be honored with Nikon USA warranty, but they do offer their local service warranty for 3 years. Their products are legit as I purchased Z8 from them and registered with Nikon USA successfully by the product serial number (and got Nikon USA congratulations). GL (if this is not allowed to be posted, remove)

If you’re doubting being able to get your copy before you leave, I agree with renting one.
I could think of nothing worse than being in a situation where you really wished you had it but didn’t & missed the shot.
Not only that, in hiring one your doing away with any stress that may be building up regarding is my copy going to arrive in time only for it not to.
Bite the bullet & hire it I say, but whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip. 👍👍

Unlikely you will get it from B-H in within time. I got a call from Allen's Camera (Levittown, Pennsylvania) couple weeks ago that they had a few in stock. Also, buy direct from Nikon. I ordered and received within a week, plus they did not charge me tax. Good luck

Last edited:
If you can't find one, have you considered a 100-400?

Good idea. Admitttedly I have never had the opportunity to shoot tigers, but I think i depends a little on the scenario.
On the one hand, tigers are pretty big animals, on the other hand it depends on the expectations on IQ / filling the frame.
Both lenses take a dip at the long end. I have them both and as long as I have the choice I shoot the 100-400 up to around 350mm and let the 180-600 take over from there.

P.S. Sorry, missed the send button last night :sleep:;)

I just returned from shooting tigers in three Indian parks and I brought both the Z100-400 and 500PF on two bodies, the 100-400 got used quite a bit so I'd suggest that as a good alternative. Tigers can come quite close.

My husband was using the Z180-600 and it was pretty perfect except sometimes the tiger was too close at 180mm, whereas I could get the shot with the 100-400. But if you can rent the 180-600 that might be the best choice. Just keep in mind that your gear will be inundated with dust, it's much worse than in Africa especially at this dry time of year. I just spent a good part of a day cleaning the dust from my cameras and lenses so if you rent, I'd get insurance with it :) I've used Lensrentals.com in the past and they are great.

Place your order thru Nikon and check local stores. I ordered mine day of announcement and I got it a week after the announce shipping. It's a good lens for 1700.00.

Post today on NikonRumors says they are now shipping in USA:

Woodyg3 - Thank you so much for the lead - pruchased one of the two they were offering.
Everyone - This forum is absolutely amazing - great timely information - Tnaks to everyone for helping me out.
Admin - Recommend closing this thread.

Back