Nikon Z 9 DK-33 eyecup, rubber ring keeps falling off

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Midway

I like to carry my Z 9 with lens attached in a Think Tank BackLight 36L while hiking or out on walks for quick removal should I come across something interesting.

It fits but it is snug in the backpack and the eyecup must rub as I remove the camera. The rubber ring fell off a few times on my first eyecup and I was able to find it until I didn't. The replacement is now coming off and I can't seem to get it to go back on.

I have another spare and applied some glue in the hope that will keep the rubber in place a little longer. The eyepiece itself is fine. I prefer it to any after market eyecups. I will test the eyecup with glue applied once it cures completely and have yet another spare if it doesn't. Relatively minor issue but not one of Nikons' best designs.

Nikon_DK_33_eyecup_glue.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I like to carry my Z 9 with lens attached in a Think Tank BackLight 36L while hiking or out on walks for quick removal should I come across something interesting.

It fits but it is snug in the backpack and the eyecup must rub as I remove the camera. The rubber ring fell off a few times on my first eyecup and I was able to find it until I didn't. The replacement is now coming off and I can't seem to get it to go back on.

I have another spare and applied some glue in the hope that will keep the rubber in place a little longer. The eyepiece itself is fine. I prefer it to any after market eyecups. I will test the eyecup with glue applied once it cures completely and have yet another spare if it doesn't. Relatively minor issue but not one of Nikons' best designs.

View attachment 68529

Love my Zemlin eyecup.

You might try fitting some small 35mm x 1.5mm rubber bands around the eyepiece to fill in the gap between the rubber eyecup and the camera body to stop it from being levered off when you remove it from your bag?

You might try fitting some small 35mm x 1.5mm rubber bands around the eyepiece to fill in the gap between the rubber eyecup and the camera body to stop it from being levered off when you remove it from your bag?

The eyecup stays on but the rubber piece falls off. Thanks.

Nikon-Z9-Original-Eyecup.jpg

The Zemlin eyecup looks good but also appears deeper than the DK-33 making the Z 9 with lens attached fit even tighter.

I like everything about the OEM DK-33 except the tendency for the rubber ring to fall off and stretch making it difficult to put back on.

MindShift_36L_Z_6mm_f4_TC_S_ZZ9_1000p.jpg

The Zemlin eyecup will fold forward. I’m willing to bet you won’t have an issue. I love mine!
i'm guessing it'll still stick out about 2mm more, even folded. considering that’s a soft case, it probably will fit, although it looks like it’s a bit undersized for that setup and is probably pushing it a bit already

for most people it’s not an issue

^ I agree with John - that's a really tight fit and likely to continue to cause problems. If a larger bag isn't an option I would replace that really big lens hood with something smaller. I replaced the stock hoods on both my 500pf and 400 f4.5 with much shorter aftermarket ones for two reasons - less lens movement in high crosswinds winds than with the stock hood, and easier fit in my bag.

There is about a half inch of clearance. It fits OK; the back of the body can rub if I am not careful to lift the end of the lens side first and slide the body forward before lifting it out. Not as easy to do when leaving the pack on and swinging it around to take the Body with lens out.

BackLight_36L_600_S_TC_800p.jpg

I don't know if that kind of glue is the best solution. I would use an elastic glue here.
Another solution would be to get rid of the side pockets insert (I don't know if that term is correct; I mean the removable walls inside the backpack). It would allow to take out the lens side first and then move the camera body towards the lower end of the backpack.
Maybe it's possible to find some smaller insert walls (maybe from a smaller backpack), so you won't give up storage room.

I have had a Zemlin eye cup on my Z9 from the time there were available. It has never fallen off the camera, doesn't mind being folded over to fit in a backpack, and the rubber piece itself has never come loose. I added the same eye cap to the Z8 when I got it.

Related, sort of, .... I find the Zemlin 800 PF sun hood that comes in 2 sections to be much more user friendly than the Nikon original 800PF sun hood. I mostly use just the smaller section of the Zemlin on my 800PF and it certainly does the job. And, the Zemlin lens cap for the 800PF is also a winner.

Edited 9/2 @ 7:32
PS... I forgot to mention I carry my Z9 with the 800PF attached in my 36L backpack. Yes, it is a little tight but so far, the Zemlin eye cup has not been bothered by the rubbing against the case nor being flattened against the case.

Last edited:
I would also recommend looking into the Zemlin pinch front lens cap. Much easier to use than the stock fabric cover and takes up less room in a bag. I do not have the 600mm tc but the 800mm. I have the same backpack but have not used it for for the last couple of years. I hike/bird with the camera and lens on my BR strap ready for instant use.

The stock lens case that comes with the 800 is like the one with the 600 and with the Zemlin lens cap on it easier to put the 800 with Z9 mounted into the lens case as desgned and I have the longer Zemlin eye cup installed.

I have a series of Think Tank retro duffles outfitted to use Think Tank cubes or put Think Tank holsters and the Z800 lens case with Z9 attached into for vehicle transport. I use sound/vibration deadening material in the bottom of the duffle long enough to come up on each end and that gives extra protetion if the bag has to go in the back of my SUV insted of on the back seat.

I also use the 2 piece Zemlin hood and it is great to be able to use just the back half if it is windy ... les sail effect.

I use the Zemlin eye cup that is a bit longer for the hydrophobia rain cover but my main reason is I like it to move my cheek away from the back screen :) So the extra lenght would not be what you wanted. I have one on each of my Z9's and so far they have worked great.

Back