Nikon Z lens satisfaction.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have 14-24 f/2.8 for night skies and 14-30 F/4 for other uses. WOuld like to see 14 or 16 F/1.8 or 2 for night skies
24-120 F/4 is a great all purpose lens
70-200 F/2.8
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 soon to be replaced by 180-600???
105 macro
55 or 60 Z maco for copying slides
400 F/4.5 would love to get 600 F/5.6 PF if they ever make it.
600 TC - just arrived so little experience with it
800 PF

180-400 TC (F mount) - future in my fit is uncertain at this point.

I haven't really been able to invest in Z mount glass unfortunately, but what I have is fantastic.

Shoot with my Z9

Z Mount:
-20 1.8S - some landscape but mainly astro (by far the best astro lens I've ever used. I find 20 to be the perfect FL, 14 is just too wide for me)
-24-70 4S - another fantastic lens, especially for it being the "kit" lens I got when I got a Z6. Would like to replace it with the 24-120 4S though. This is my primary landscape lens, and I tend to shoot landscapes at longer FL

F Mount:
-70-200 2.8 E FL - my all around lens for landscapes, portraits, sports, etc
-600 4G - my baby, wildlife obviously
-1.4 TC3

Gaps/wants:
-biggest gap in my line up is mid range telephoto between 200-600mm. Planning to remedy this soon, but still debating between the Z 180-600, 100-400, or 400 4.5.
-Considering replacing my old 600 4G with the 800 6.3 to accompany whatever Tele zoom I get. I'd really love the 600 TC, but I'm working with a college student/wildlife research tech salary so that's not in the cards right now
-Would also love to get the 85 1.2 for portraits

I have taken advantage of the Z series to improve the collection of shorter lenses.
  • 50 1.8 S
  • 24-70 F4S (kit lens at discount with Z6ii) I never saw the value in the F mount 24-70 F2.8 lenses and avoided the expense there.
  • 85 F1.8 S (portrait)
  • 105 2.8 S - macro
Yes, the S series has been a bit of a revelation in terms of clarity. I think it’s about having less chromatic aberration, better coatings and colour balance plus much better resolution combined with better mid frame performance and edge performance.

From here the process of transition will slow why I trade in and sell of F mount bodies and lenses to fund some non S lenses like the 180-600 and the 70-180. This is about weight.
I still have my long (but heavy) primes with F-mount. (300 F2.8 VRII, 500 F4G) I will keep both and assess how the 180-600 works for me.
I am still considering the ultra wide lens choices - is it the 14-30 F4 S or the 14-24 F2.8S? Both seem decent options. I see myself doing more landscapes rather than wildlife.

I have taken advantage of the Z series to improve the collection of shorter lenses.
  • 50 1.8 S
  • 24-70 F4S (kit lens at discount with Z6ii) I never saw the value in the F mount 24-70 F2.8 lenses and avoided the expense there.
  • 85 F1.8 S (portrait)
  • 105 2.8 S - macro
Yes, the S series has been a bit of a revelation in terms of clarity. I think it’s about having less chromatic aberration, better coatings and colour balance plus much better resolution combined with better mid frame performance and edge performance.

From here the process of transition will slow why I trade in and sell of F mount bodies and lenses to fund some non S lenses like the 180-600 and the 70-180. This is about weight.
I still have my long (but heavy) primes with F-mount. (300 F2.8 VRII, 500 F4G) I will keep both and assess how the 180-600 works for me.
I am still considering the ultra wide lens choices - is it the 14-30 F4 S or the 14-24 F2.8S? Both seem decent options. I see myself doing more landscapes rather than wildlife.
I totally agree, these Z series lenses are excellent considering the cost and size. I swapped my F mount 14-24 f2.8 for the 14-30 f4 and have no regrets. As you say with the 24-70, I can't justify the extra weight of the 2.8 lenses, for the minimal advantages. (They are also excellent lenses.)

Underlying the high optical quality we have bought into, in our Z Nikkors, lies the architecture of the Z Mount:

A graphical explanation of the advantages:

The wider, very shallow throat is invoked to explain why the Z lenses are sharper to the edges, with minimal vignetting... and aberration correction with refined 3D Rendering;

We also see this in the smaller U Wide zooms exemplified in the 14-30 f4S and 14-24 f2.8S. These symmetrical designs that can avoid a huge bulbous front element, and maximum apertures (58 f0.95S and a f0.6 lens is theoretically possible on the Z Mount.

So we photographers reap even more the benefits using filters etc

The 55mm width of the Z mount also facilitates IBIS. There is more lateral space for the sensor to move within the light window. These two interesting articles - interviews - explain some of these advantages

Last edited:
I shoot mostly landscape and some motorsports, some watersports; since buying the Z100-400 I have not once used my Z70-200/2.8, and I’m hankering for a fast 50. Considering trading the 70-200 and 50/1.8 on the 50/1.2 but it’s big and heavy, so I’m seeking recommendations on the Voigtlander Z50/1.0

I don’t know about you but I struggle with an illogical desire to own a “top” of the range lens in the Z mount line-up. The problem with this is a combination of cost, weight and working out which focal length (or zoom range it would be).
In each case so far the mid level (translation code = 1.8 S line) has been too good, I haven’t achieved the goal. I also acknowledge it is totally silly to desire lenses which exceed my use/photography level/quality needs. The mid level is (🤨🤨 annoyingly) so good.

I made the move 4 years ago with the Z6. To me, it seemed obvious then that Nikon had made the commitment to the Z mount and we were already witnessing glass with better IQ than the F equivalents ( 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 are examples) Its been a while but for me the 180-600 will complete my"set". In 4 or 5 years, I'll see what will replace the Z8.
Or maybe sooner ... hmmmm

Back