NIKON Z TC-1.4x and 800mm PF Usage Report

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With some trepidation, I purchased the Z TC1.4 for use with my 800mm PF S lens. After taking wildfowl pics (resting the combination lens/TC on the cars window for support), I was pleasantly surprised on how well this combination worked, even after additional cropping in post processing.

I would definitely recommend this combo for wildlife photography.

Attachments

• Z9A_9155ps_LLC_small.jpg
    Z9A_9155ps_LLC_small.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 103
I had the 800 PF for a while before buying the 600/4 TC. I used the 1,4 tc with the 800 PF a couple of times and got some good results. If I need the reach I wouldn’t hesitate to use this combo.

I've used my Z 800 mm PF and the Z 1.4x TC a fair amount. 1120 mm F9. I think the combination works quite well when you need more focal length. I've used it both handheld (with a fairly high shutter speed in good light) and from a tripod.

I've also used the Z 800 mm PF with the Z 2x TC. 1600 mm f13. More compromises here, but still well worth using if you want 1600 mm and other conditions are right (enough light and low atmospheric distortion).

NSTLGS3front-07-19-23-1120.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
NSTLGS2right-07-19-23-1120.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

These photos have been done for scientists, so I do some sharpening and NR in post but don't delete things or clean them up. We spend limited time at a restricted distance, get the pics and get out, to reduce stress on the hawks. Because of that, I decided to try the Z1.4TC on my 800PF even though we were in forests with heavy leaf cover and adding 40% more reach cuts the light in half. I was very pleased with how sharp the photos were and Z9 did well with added noise. I no longer hesitate to use the Z1.4TC with the 800PF.

I have 1.4 TC and used it on Z100-400, tried it on my Z800 worked okay but I prefer as @wotan1 said to use DX mode or crop FX. Primarily a bird ID photographer on foot in wide range of terrain and habitat so hand held.

I have 1.4 TC and used it on Z100-400, tried it on my Z800 worked okay but I prefer as @wotan1 said to use DX mode or crop FX. Primarily a bird ID photographer on foot in wide range of terrain and habitat so hand held.
I agree. My photos of the young Broad-winged Hawks were shot on a tripod. My Z bodies are set up with the DISP (Display) button toggling FX/DX. With DX, AF seems more reliable, and faster. Fewer missed shots at longer distances.

I agree. My photos of the young Broad-winged Hawks were shot on a tripod. My Z bodies are set up with the DISP (Display) button toggling FX/DX. With DX, AF seems more reliable, and faster. Fewer missed shots at longer distances.
Only diff is I have a button on the Z800 and one on the Z180-600 to toggle FX/DX.

Back