Nikon Z6III announcement

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've heard a suggestion that it would allow uploading a custom LUT - a useful tool for video that could be applied to stills.

Of course, the other approach would be to have an Adobe RGB LCD or viewfinder. That would represent a wider gamut and more colors than we can normally display.

The two things that my GFX does that my Nikon doesn’t are in-camera pano ratios and genuinely useful “film sims”/“LUTs”/“Picture Styles”. I’m big on pre-visualization (rather than “fix it in post”), and Fuji does this much better than Nikon.

If Nikon paid just a little more attention to this space, I’d happily sell about 2/3rds of my camera equipment, and shoot exclusively Nikon.

Perhaps the halo effect of the X100VI, and Panasonic starting to pay attention to SOOC will make everyone else take notice?

And now we have a photo...

The comparison photo in the comments is interesting. I am all for smaller bodies, but I suspect that the extra bit of height will make the grip fit that much better in my hands. I had to add a bracket plate to my Z6 to give my hand just a bit more purchase, and this small gain in height looks like it will accomplish the same.

--Ken

A sensor shield is a welcome feature. I hope it will be available on all future Nikon Z cameras.

IMG_8379.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not interested in video at all but I would love to see faster sync speeds for outdoor portraiture.
I guess I am the absolute minority here in a wildlife oriented community 😜

I will wait for your review to decide if a Z8 will be a better choice as my backup body. Currently, the Z8 is 1.000 Euro off (with the rebate program and a coupon that I got from Nikon)

After waiting for a long time for the Z8 I sold my D850 and got a Z6ii. When the Zf appeared as a Fuji XT fan I loved it and it came sooo close, but there were a few issues in it for me. The Z6iii might just be what I want, even though I love the vintage look and feel of the Zf.
As a single camera, I probably wouldn’t recommend it, but it’s excellent as second camera, it as as always carry with you. I recently was at a friends wedding (as a normal person, not photographer), with the 40mm f2, and I still can’t believe how good the pictures came out, especially with a relatively simple lens. I don’t regret buying the Z f at all.

Someone? I think it was Nikon Europe mentioned the z6iii had 2 Expeed 7 processors. As I recall, the z8 only has one. Wonder if that is true (or a holdover from the z6ii twin Expeed 6 processors) and what the z6iii is doing with 2 processors?

Someone? I think it was Nikon Europe mentioned the z6iii had 2 Expeed 7 processors. As I recall, the z8 only has one. Wonder if that is true (or a holdover from the z6ii twin Expeed 6 processors) and what the z6iii is doing with 2 processors?
Did you mean Nikon Rumors? Nikon Europe won’t have any details available until Monday.

As a single camera, I probably wouldn’t recommend it, but it’s excellent as second camera, it as as always carry with you. I recently was at a friends wedding (as a normal person, not photographer), with the 40mm f2, and I still can’t believe how good the pictures came out, especially with a relatively simple lens. I don’t regret buying the Z f at all.

Much as I like the Zf being a Fuji XT fan with an XT-4 currently after having an XT-1, XT-2 and 2 x XT-4s, it just fell down on a few details for me, and my current Z6ii is also not quite there either, so if the Z6iii brings all (or more) of what the ZF has it won't be a single camera, it will be one of 4 cameras!

Current line up is Nikon Z6ii and a Z5 waiting for an IR conversion. Now one Fuji XT-4 and an XH2s.

If it's a shutter, why is it closed with the lens off? My Zf and other mirrorless bodies have the sensor exposed / I never see the shutter.
My hope / hunch is - maybe the Z6III has a 24mp stacked sensor and no mechanical shutter, same setup as the Z8/9 except lower res sensor.

Apologies in advance if I completely have my wires crossed here

i think that’s a shutter, not shutter shield. if it’s stacked we’ll get a shield

i think that’s a shutter, not shutter shield. if it’s stacked we’ll get a shield
I looked at the shutter in my Z7II and the shield in the Z8 and could not decide which it resembled more…perhaps a slight edge to the shield but pretty close to a toss up. Guess we will know next week…but if has a similar sensor to its big brothers then I would suspect more likely a shield and no physical shutter like those.

The accidental leak by Wex UK confirms the higher than expected price of £2700, which in turns points to a strong possibility of an unorthodox sensor design in this Mid-Tier MILC.

In light of the high RRP, NR state the obvious that the Z6 III probably has a new stacked sensor, which will set a new precedent in the lowest entry cost of this technology

Last edited:
Back