Nikon Z6iii EVF - is it better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As a D850 user I acknowledge there are many benefits with mirrorless and it is a natural progression to eventually land there. Since I posted this and read everyone's comments and thoughts, I have contacted a local supplier who is willing to loan me a Z8 plus Z lenses for a period of time, not just a couple of days. I look forward to immersing myself and seeing if I can move beyond the previous EVF experiences.
About 6 months after the Z7 and Z6 were immediately shipped, there was a thread discussing favorite features of mirrorless cameras. By far the EVF was most frequently mentioned in spite of the viewfinder lag and other differences. Some people had a very difficult time adjusting, but others found it quite natural. The "What You See IS What You Get" relationship between the viewfinder and the resulting photo largely eliminated major exposure errors and even some focus misses. I think one of the keys is to fully embrace the EVF and what it can do rather than dwelling on the limitations. The Z8/Z9 have a virtually real time viewfinder, so most of the early issues are gone.

My approach to fully embrace the EVF was to treat it as a heads up display. I wanted the EVF to replace everything I historically had done using the rear LCD - image review, menu changes, and magnification for precise focus. I experimented with the iMenu, Fn buttons, and other techniques so that I did not need to use the LCD or go menu diving outside of formatting my card and checking battery remaining - both on MyMenu. As someone who needed reading glasses, the EVF meant I no longer needed to put on glasses to examine images or change menu settings.

My specific settings have evolved, but I've maintained this approach. With this approach, it becomes more important to be able to be thoughtful about choices for iMenu and programmable controls - much more than with a DSLR. AF settings and choices represent the main concentration for most here, but those choices have also changed the most with firmware updates, experience, and increased proficiency.

It's certainly a journey. Experiment and have fun.

Back