Nikon z8 and Sony Lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

my daughter just gifted me a z8 and the megadap pro. I already have a Sony 200-600. The IBIS/OSS doesn’t seem as good as when it is in the native Sony body. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a setting that would help? Or is the best course to get a Nikon 180-600, would that improve the handheld experience with stabilization. I am not the steadiest of shooters. Thank you in advance for your answers.

You might try turning VR off on the Z8 and turn it on in the lens. My buddy has that combination and he's satisfied with the results. Not as good as having a native Nikon lens, but it works for him.

The magadap adapter is pretty good, but nothing beats a bare lens with a camera from the same system. AF speed and stabilization do suffer a little. For most applications, it's going to be fine but there is a difference. If you need the Z8 and stabilization, the 180-600 is going to be an improvement. But - you might consider something like the 400mm f/4.5 or 600mm PF. These light long lenses are very sharp and lighter than the 200-600 or 180-600.

Did try turning off ibis and leave it on in the lens. Got much better results. I guess the might fight with each other somehow
With a Nikon in lens VR lens on a Nikon ML body, ignoring which switch does what, both IBIS and in lens VR are on - or off.
There is no provision for IBIS on and in lens VR Off or vice versa.

Whether the Sony in lens VR unlike Nikon works independently of Nikon IBIS is something I do not know - though your results indicate it does.

With 8 Nikon Z lens on 3 Nikon ML bodies IBIS and in lena VR work in harmony to give extra in lens VR ability using what Nikon call synchro VR.

Back