Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.01

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

• Changed the default values for the following settings displayed when connecting wirelessly:
    • Encryption keys
    • The password displayed after the camera’s default settings are restored
  • Fixed the following issues:
    • Green color casting occurred with some pictures taken.
    • The date and time set in camera sometimes would not be correctly applied.
    • Using [Picture review] to view an image in a “tall” (portrait) orientation and zooming in the image prevented the display from being scrolled to the intended direction with multi selector or sub-selector.
    • After a firmware update, the eye sensor sometimes would not function and the viewfinder would not turn on.
    • The “i” menu would sometimes remain in the viewfinder when it was looked through after the shutter-release button was pressed halfway to exit the “i” menu viewed in the monitor.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2024/04/23/...ate-version-2-01-released.aspx/#ixzz8YCVggS4U

Nice, it addresses the green color cast… this is something I’ve noticed with the Z8 files, which I correct in post for every photo. Everything is always green-ish. Hopefully this really does fix it.

The I-Menu not disappearing on half-shutter press was also super annoying. Def a good fix.

Apparently released today,had a look at changes and cannot see anything of real importance, maybe wrong as new to Nikon.
Russ.
Not important unless you've been using the camera enough to notice the annoyances. Sure, it's not a massive FW update like 2.0 was, but fixing these little things can amount to a nice quality of life improvement.

Note that this update includes IPTC changes that reset the camera settings. Be sure you have backed up your settings to a memory card before installing this firmware.

Many times we experience bugs but they are infrequent or unexplained and don't occur again. This update fixes some of those issues.

The published list of changes is not comprehensive. There are almost always unpublished fixes in firmware updates.

Note that this update includes IPTC changes that reset the camera settings. Be sure you have backed up your settings to a memory card before installing this firmware.

Many times we experience bugs but they are infrequent or unexplained and don't occur again. This update fixes some of those issues.

The published list of changes is not comprehensive. There are almost always unpublished fixes in firmware updates.
To act as an anecdotal data point....I did not see your message until after performing 2.01. My settings thankfully remained intact.

No changes to settings after the update. Interesting to see the fix for green color cast. I shot with my Z8 quite a bit last week. I haven’t noticed a color cast at all. Perhaps it was situation dependent.

I backed up but did not need to do so, all seems as was.

Did yours actually change, or was it an assumption due to the IPTC ?

No changes to settings after the update. Interesting to see the fix for green color cast. I shot with my Z8 quite a bit last week. I haven’t noticed a color cast at all. Perhaps it was situation dependent.
I read something on Facebook recently from someone with two different Z8s, one of which had a green cast and the other of which didn't when photographing the exact same thing. I seem to recall that they claimed it was later models that were affected. Given the examples they showed, it was quite apparent. Perhaps they were correct and it only affected some revisions or something.

I read something on Facebook recently from someone with two different Z8s, one of which had a green cast and the other of which didn't when photographing the exact same thing. I seem to recall that they claimed it was later models that were affected. Given the examples they showed, it was quite apparent. Perhaps they were correct and it only affected some revisions or something.
Were they shooting RAW or jpeg?

The green cast has been aggravating. When there’s a lot of foliage present, some reflection is expected, but it was present even in shots with no foliage… like, in the dead of winter 😂 can’t wait to try it out and see if the queasy cast has been fixed.

Here's a pre-update example of a shot SOOC. Green cast everywhere :sick: :
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240421_08.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The steps I use to correct that are adjusting the tint, and also lowering the hue of the yellow channel for every single photo I worked on. Here's after:
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240421_08-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Took the Z8 out yesterday, and editing photos now, it the photos appear to be a LOT less queazy in appearance. It wasn't a major problem, per se, but in certain circumstances it made achieving proper color/white balance a lot more challenging. Very happy to see this behavior reduced.

Back