Nikon Z8 first firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I did the update this morning. Biggest change that I found so far if the way the auto manual focus works. It corrected a lot of the problem that I have with the Z8 slipping into manual focus when shooting in auto AF.

I'm trying to open the .bin file after downloading it from the download page and I keep getting an error that says "Unable to expand "Z_8_0101,bin". It is in an unsupported format." I'm on a Mac and was able to download the file and update the Z9 with no problem. Not sure why this one is giving me problems.

I'm trying to open the .bin file after downloading it from the download page and I keep getting an error that says "Unable to expand "Z_8_0101,bin". It is in an unsupported format." I'm on a Mac and was able to download the file and update the Z9 with no problem. Not sure why this one is giving me problems.
The bin is the update file? Why are you trying to open it?

I also run a MAC OS Ventura 13.5, I got the same message "Unable to expand "Z_8_0101,bin". It is in an unsupported format.". In addition my MAC does not yet support RAW downloads from the Z8. Waiting for Apple to step up.

I am still on Monterey - because adobe supports the Z8 files - I dont notice the mac not supporting it

The download is a zip file - and wont open

The firmware update for the Z9 is a .dmg file

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 17.50.45.png

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 17.51.47.png

Last edited:
I did the update this morning. Biggest change that I found so far if the way the auto manual focus works. It corrected a lot of the problem that I have with the Z8 slipping into manual focus when shooting in auto AF.
Care to expound? I haven't encountered any problems "slipping into manual focus" unless I inadvertently knock the MF ring?

I also run a MAC OS Ventura 13.5, I got the same message "Unable to expand "Z_8_0101,bin". It is in an unsupported format.". In addition my MAC does not yet support RAW downloads from the Z8. Waiting for Apple to step up.
The .bin file is what you should copy to a CFe card. The camera’s update firmware is in that file. Don’t try to open it.

The Z9 .bin file is delivered in a dmg file from which the .bin file is extracted.

I’m not sure why Nikon delivers them differently. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just to be clear. YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE TO YOUR COMPUTER, I drop it onto my desktop.
exe.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
update.jpg
bin.jpg
The update file is called "F-Z8-V101. exe" ( which is an executable file and should run when you click on it with the mouse). That will create a folder labeled "Z8 Update" wherever you clicked on the .exe file. When you open the folder the "Z_8_0101.bin" file will be inside. YOU DO NOT CLICK ON THIS FILE> you open up you memory card on your computer and drag and drop the bin file to your memory card and place it below all other files and folders on you memory card. Then put your memory card back into your camera and go to the firmware update in your Z* menu.

Just to be clear. YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE TO YOUR COMPUTER, I drop it onto my desktop.
View attachment 68224View attachment 68225View attachment 68226The update file is called "F-Z8-V101. exe" ( which is an executable file and should run when you click on it with the mouse). That will create a folder labeled "Z8 Update" wherever you clicked on the .exe file. When you open the folder the "Z_8_0101.bin" file will be inside. YOU DO NOT CLICK ON THIS FILE> you open up you memory card on your computer and drag and drop the bin file to your memory card and place it below all other files and folders on you memory card. Then put your memory card back into your camera and go to the firmware update in your Z* menu.
For windows, yes.

Or just change the extension to zip and open it, drag the bin out. For best results, following the process nikon wrote is the way to go.

This one didn’t come on a .dmg file (macOS) like updates before…caught me the first time too. Just copy the downloaded file to the card and away you go.

Fortunately, the FW update went well, though for the first couple of minutes nothing happens on the progress bar and that could be a bit disconcerting for some users. What's with creating an .exe file rather than just a .zip or plain .bin for download? In Windoze, I had to copy the file out of "downloads" into a separate folder, run the .exe to create the .bin?

Fortunately, the FW update went well, though for the first couple of minutes nothing happens on the progress bar and that could be a bit disconcerting for some users. What's with creating an .exe file rather than just a .zip or plain .bin for download? In Windoze, I had to copy the file out of "downloads" into a separate folder, run the .exe to create the .bin?
That is standard procedure in my experience.

You can rename the extension to a zip and pull the bin out.

I agree it's an extra step, and one that could be avoided, but it's not like it takes long for something I do once every few months or so.

Me too - any ideas?

I did the update this morning (I use a PC) no problems. I have not used the camera yet (and have only used it briefly twice since getting it - once before sending back for lug repair and once after). Since I don't do video I can't imagine I will notice any changes, I just did it to stay current.

I must say I prefer Nikon's system of loading it onto a memory card and installing that way. When I had a Sony for a while (now sold), they would not allow this and forced you to use the cable to plug the camera directly into your computer.

Back