Nikon Z8 first firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

From the firmware changelog:
  • - Focus could still be adjusted using the focus ring when [Disable] was selected for a15 [Manual focus ring in AF mode] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] if an option other than [Non-linear] was chosen for f9 [Focus ring rotation range] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
On my Z8 camera there is no a15 setting and the f9 is always greyed out.
Any hints are welcome.

Hi,

From the firmware changelog:
  • - Focus could still be adjusted using the focus ring when [Disable] was selected for a15 [Manual focus ring in AF mode] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] if an option other than [Non-linear] was chosen for f9 [Focus ring rotation range] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
On my Z8 camera there is no a15 setting and the f9 is always greyed out.
Any hints are welcome.
A compatible z lens has to be mounted to the camera for those options to appear on the menu.

What specifically did you do to figure it out? I downloaded it and it's in the download file on my Mac. Whatever I do to the bin file I get the same error message. I'm not a magician on the keyboard so please keep it simple. Thanks.
You can drag the bin file to the top level of the card. I did that and the firmware updated without issue.

A minor curiosity.... the Z8 1.01 bin file has a created date of 6/26/2023, but was not released until almost 2 months later. Is this time lag typical for beta testing with real users?

You don't have and aren't supposed to open the .bin file from the download. Just drag and drop it onto the highest folder on your memory card and load the card into your camera. (You will see DCIM and the bin file under it on the card.) The upgrade will work.

On the other hand for those with the recent Z9 upgrade, the download file ending is .dmg is not the transfer file which ends in .bin. So that one you do have to open on your computer until your see the .bin. (It took me two clicks, one from .dmg to Z9 and another to find the .bin.) Then drag and drop the .bin onto your card. (I had to call Nikon support to figure that one out.)

The .bin file is what you should copy to a CFe card. The camera’s update firmware is in that file. Don’t try to open it.

The Z9 .bin file is delivered in a dmg file from which the .bin file is extracted.

I’m not sure why Nikon delivers them differently. 🤷🏾‍♂️
You can also use SnapBridge to install the update. Took about 5-10 minutes this morning. No problems updating

A minor curiosity.... the Z8 1.01 bin file has a created date of 6/26/2023, but was not released until almost 2 months later. Is this time lag typical for beta testing with real users?
I don't know for sure, but I assume so? Maybe they spent that time testing it on camera bodies of their own staff or pros before releasing it to the public.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the Z8 when you press the i menu button the i menu comes up vertical on the right side?

Back