Nikon Z8 Handholding Z100-400

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How do you handhold the Nikon Z8 with the Z 100-400 attached? Do you hold the tripod collar? If you take the tripod collar off, where to you place your hands? I turned off the Control Ring because I kept bumping it. Seems pretty basic, but any suggestions on best way to hand hold the lens? Thanks...

Palm the foot. Gives your hand some height off the lens so you aren’t accidentally bumping the focus or control ring, and also allows for less hand adjustment when you do need to turn those rings, since your hand is already in place but not resting on them.

How do you handhold the Nikon Z8 with the Z 100-400 attached? Do you hold the tripod collar? If you take the tripod collar off, where to you place your hands? I turned off the Control Ring because I kept bumping it. Seems pretty basic, but any suggestions on best way to hand hold the lens? Thanks...
Like others who’ve replied, I keep the lens foot in my palm. I use the middle ring to adjust manual focus to help AF when needed.

Kind of an off-topic, but how are you all carrying the 100-400? If using a strap, are you going to tripod foot, or camera? The lens is at the weight that you should be concerned with stressing the mount, so I’m using a small Peak Design plate w/ anchors in the socket on the tripod foot. It’s not ideal, the lens+Z8 don’t hang too well at my side.

I take off the tripod collar, and use a strap that attaches to the lens rather than the camera body. That balances it nicely and leaves almost the entire lens free for me to support it. I also tend to turn off the control rings on large lenses, but I do use the Fn buttons so I have my left hand underneath the lens with one finger on one function button.

the lens and the z9 body are almost exactly the same weight so my feel is the mount is designed to handle that amount of weight

i use a strap attached to the body
You always hear “if the lens has mounts for a strap, that’s how the manufacturer intended for you to carry the lens”. Strap lugs on my 800PF, for example; yet, lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 100-400 don’t come from Nikon/Canon/Sony with any way to attach a strap to the lens. If they wanted you to use the tripod foot, they’d have provided a means to attach there without the need to buy a 3rd party plate or replacement foot, so I think it’s safe to assume we’re ok using the body.

You always hear “if the lens has mounts for a strap, that’s how the manufacturer intended for you to carry the lens”. Strap lugs on my 800PF, for example; yet, lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 100-400 don’t come from Nikon/Canon/Sony with any way to attach a strap to the lens. If they wanted you to use the tripod foot, they’d have provided a means to attach there without the need to buy a 3rd party plate or replacement foot, so I think it’s safe to assume we’re ok using the body.
i think that’s a reasonable indication, i’m just saying the mount must be designed to carry about three pounds and with the z9, either way you do it with this lens you are hanging three pounds off the mount

Kind of an off-topic, but how are you all carrying the 100-400? If using a strap, are you going to tripod foot, or camera? The lens is at the weight that you should be concerned with stressing the mount, so I’m using a small Peak Design plate w/ anchors in the socket on the tripod foot. It’s not ideal, the lens+Z8 don’t hang too well at my side.
I use a QD attachment strap and connect it the lens foot (I use RRS but others like Kirk have QD as well). It is comfortable for me and doesn't get in the way of holding the lens using a tripod when I need to do that.

I use a QD attachment strap and connect it the lens foot (I use RRS but others like Kirk have QD as well). It is comfortable for me and doesn't get in the way of holding the lens using a tripod when I need to do that.
I also have a QD setup, though w/ the Peak Design strap being QD as well I found it kind redundant, so am experimenting w/ lens plates, but the balance isn't great when letting the camera hang at my side (the lens points upward). Going to try switching the strap to the camera for better balance, but first going to contact Nikon and see their official position on it. Don't want to wreck my mount!

I'm using a Black Rapid Sport sling. Because I'm using a Z9, I have to screw in the attachment D-Ring to the bottom of an Arc-Swiss plate attached to the foot (if I decide to leave the plate on the lens) OR, if I know I am not going to use a tripod I take the foot off the lens and screw the D-Ring directly into the 1/4-20 socket on the lens. I'd love a replacement foot with QD socket, but they're all too far forward and won't balance with the Z9. Might work with a Z8 though.

Back