Nikon Z8 IBIS

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just purchased the Z8 and paired it with a Tamron F/5-6.4 150-600mm lens. My passion is wildlife photography and my Nikon D3300 I had dialed in. I feel lost with the Z8 and someone asked me if I have IBIS turned on. Don't laugh, but I wasn't even sure what that was and now I know it's about image stabilization. When I click the "i", the vibration reduction is ghosted. My camera is much shakier when I am holding it than my D3300 ever was. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Go into menu and choose the top left icon, which is the camera symbol, then use the four way wheel and press the right side to toggle over and into the menu options for the camera symbol. Now use the bottom of the wheel and keep scrolling down until you see the option that says Vibration Reduction. If it says "off", then use the right side of the wheel to bring up the option to turn it on and then use the wheel to choose "on". Press menu and you will be out and ready to shoot with In-Body-Image-Stabilization (IBIS).

On mirrorless cameras like the Z8, the body stabilization works in conjunction with the lens stabilization, if you have a lens with that option. I am not sure how third party lenses like Tamron work with Nikon Z bodies, though the tip above from Rassie may help.

On mirrorless cameras like the Z8, the body stabilization works in conjunction with the lens stabilization, if you have a lens with that option. I am not sure how third party lenses like Tamron work with Nikon Z bodies, though the tip above from Rassie may help.
Yeah, I checked with Tamron when my friend switched his D3300 to a Z50. His 150-600mm G1 Tamron would not autofocus nor did the VR work with the new body. Tamron said a firmware update would make things right again. He never did it because I gifted him my Nikkor 200-500mm when I got the 500mm PF and he subsequently stopped using the Tamron.

My wife's Sigma 100-400mm that she used on her D3300, the VR also wouldn't work on the Z50 when she got one. I took the lens to the local Sigma offices and they updated the firmware while I waited. VR works fine now on both her Z50 and my Z8.

I think you're onto something here but can I download the firmware file and install myself like I did when I upgraded the Z8 to 2.0? Thanks so much!
That may be possible under certain conditions:
1: You may be able to download and install the lens firmware if you have a tap-in console available from Tamron. See https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/soft/tap-in.html
2: I think the consoles only work for Generation 2 (G2) lenses. If yours is a G1 you'll need to have Tamron do it for you.

It is not possible for your camera to install another brand's (Tamron) firmware from the camera like we do with Nikon firmware. The lens will need to be updated separately while disconnected from the camera.

A camera store near you that sells Tamron lenses should be able to guide you on this.

Last edited:
Your lens doesn't have it's own stabilizer switch by chance?
With Nikon lenses, it works like this: If the lens has a VR (vibration reduction) switch, then the option in the Z8 menu is greyed out, because you have to use the switch on the lens.
If the lens doesn't have a VR switch or no VR at all, (in-body-) image stabilization is switchen on and off in the camera menu.

More than 80% of the image stabilization is done by the camera and 20% by the lens even with a Nikon Z lens. Few Nikon lenses provide a combined OS with the camera working with the lens to provide better overall image stabilization. With a non Nikon lens I would try having the VR on the lens switched off so it does not interfere with the camera's image stabilization system.

More than 80% of the image stabilization is done by the camera and 20% by the lens even with a Nikon Z lens. Few Nikon lenses provide a combined OS with the camera working with the lens to provide better overall image stabilization.
Nikon seem to have said since the launch of Z that Z lenses with in-lens VR (when VR is on in the menu) use the in-lens VR for axis 1 and 2 (left/right and up/down) and IBIS for the other 3 axis.

Go into menu and choose the top left icon, which is the camera symbol, then use the four way wheel and press the right side to toggle over and into the menu options for the camera symbol. Now use the bottom of the wheel and keep scrolling down until you see the option that says Vibration Reduction. If it says "off", then use the right side of the wheel to bring up the option to turn it on and then use the wheel to choose "on". Press menu and you will be out and ready to shoot with In-Body-Image-Stabilization (IBIS).

I have a Z8 and use the Tamron 150-600 g2 lens. I have ibis turned on in the camera and the lens and all of my images are tack sharp.

If you do need to update the firmware on your tamron g2 150-600, and you don't have a tap in console, you can also wait for a tamron rep to be hosted at your local camera shop. My local store has events now and then. I took my copy of the g2 in during an event and the rep made sure the firmware was up to date and ready to use with a z8.
(Of course I don't have a z8 yet, but plan on switching eventually. )

Back