nikon z8 save load settings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z9 but the procedure is the same except I don’t have an SD Card slot. There is no such thing as a cheap CFe card and as the Z9 will work with XQD cards, I just bought a used XQD card on the cheap and use that only for storing my saved settings. You can do the same with an old SD card. The saved file is small so a small card will do just fine. I mark my card as “Z9 settings” so that I don’t accidentally use it for anything else and keep it in my camera bag so that I always have it with me if needed.

My manual states that if two cards are inserted in the camera then the files will be saved to the card in Slot 1. To make sure the file is saved to the SD card, remove the other card before proceeding.

Format the SD Card in Camera.

In the Setup Menu go to “Save/load menu settings” and push the multi selector to the right

You will only have the option to “Save menu settings” as there are no saved settings on the card yet

With “Save menu settings” highlighted push the multi selector to the right or push OK

The settings are instantly saved

Go back to “Save/load menu settings” and you will now see the option to “Load menu settings”

When you have the option to “Load menu settings” you know the settings were successfully saved

You can just trust that the settings were saved correctly or do the “Change a setting and then do the Load menu settings” thing to see if the setting you changed is back to where it was before.

That’s it. Don’t over think it.

The light really does go out when you close the refrigerator door.

Another option, iPhone only I believe, is Reikan Snapshots. The paid version allows you to download settings, make changes then re-upload them to the camera. It also prints out a report listing all of your settings. In addition to the cost of the program, you will need to factor in the cost of the specialized cables that you need to make it all work. I’ve tested on my Z6 and my Z8. The Z6 worked flawlessly, the Z8 took a few days to get it working. I’m really not sure what I did to finally make it work. It finally just took pity on me I guess. Customer service was nonexistent. But the ability to have a written document of all settings in the camera makes it worth it.

Another option, iPhone only I believe, is Reikan Snapshots. The paid version allows you to download settings, make changes then re-upload them to the camera. It also prints out a report listing all of your settings. In addition to the cost of the program, you will need to factor in the cost of the specialized cables that you need to make it all work. I’ve tested on my Z6 and my Z8. The Z6 worked flawlessly, the Z8 took a few days to get it working. I’m really not sure what I did to finally make it work. It finally just took pity on me I guess. Customer service was nonexistent. But the ability to have a written document of all settings in the camera makes it worth it.
iOS and Android. Z8 and Zf aren’t listed as supported cameras. I’ve never used it but I might try it sometime.

Update: In checking the app’s info on the iOS App Store, Zf and Z8 are supported as of the most recent app update two months ago. Apparently the website for the app hasn’t been revised accordingly.

Last edited:
Back