Nikon Z8 & Z9 Game Changing AF Update: Cycle AF Areas

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
OK, I know many here at the forum already know about Cycle AF Areas in the Z8/9, but I've had questions, witnessed mistakes, and saw need for some clarification about how this works and what it does - so I made a video. :)

Everything you need to know to get the most from it - even if you already think you know what it is, there might be some new stuff here for ya :)

Excellent video, Steve! I’m amazed at how fast you can cycle through the options. I now just use 2 buttons for AF handoff to supplement the primary AF mode on my Z8. Are you now using Auto Area over 3D for your primary handoff option?

Excellent video, Steve! I’m amazed at how fast you can cycle through the options. I now just use 2 buttons for AF handoff to supplement the primary AF mode on my Z8. Are you now using Auto Area over 3D for your primary handoff option?
Yes, I talk about that in my book and in that video I mention about BIF settings.

Thanks a lot Steve! Great video! I had already implemented the cycle AF modes to my video button on my Z9, but hadn’t yet reassessed any changes to the Fn buttons. Your video has given me a few ideas. Thanks a lot.

Love this feature, especially since my function keys are effectively persona non grata with all but the shutter finger wrapped in mittens during cold weather; think I'm gonna love it generally too. As always Steve, thanks for the highlight (e.g. heavy nudge to point me to new features :) ).

I've been giving this a sort of test run since it was introduced to the Z8, but I'm pretty sure I much prefer the way I did it before, which was to set the AF change button to Fn1 so I can hold that down and spin the dials - front to swap between AF-C and AF-S, rear to swap focus areas.

I like this better primarily because I feel like it gives me more control over what focus mode I'm in. With the area cycle, I can only go forward, whereas with the dial if the mode I want is just before the one I'm on I can just move the dial backwards one time instead of having to tap the cycle button 5 or times, more if I miss. I understand why people would want less stuff to press, but to me there's not much difference between pushing the button 4 times and moving the dial 4 times.

I also like to have quick access to AF-S so I can go into pinpoint mode for those occasional situations where I am trying to get focus on a very precise point or on something that's slightly too obscured for single point to fit in there. For instance, while critters hiding in the foliage usually don't make the best photos, every once in a while you still might want one and often single point can't help but catch the edge of some branch or leaf or something and closest target priority means you get focus on that. With pinpoint I can usually avoid this problem.

I've been giving this a sort of test run since it was introduced to the Z8, but I'm pretty sure I much prefer the way I did it before, which was to set the AF change button to Fn1 so I can hold that down and spin the dials - front to swap between AF-C and AF-S, rear to swap focus areas.

I like this better primarily because I feel like it gives me more control over what focus mode I'm in. With the area cycle, I can only go forward, whereas with the dial if the mode I want is just before the one I'm on I can just move the dial backwards one time instead of having to tap the cycle button 5 or times, more if I miss. I understand why people would want less stuff to press, but to me there's not much difference between pushing the button 4 times and moving the dial 4 times.

I also like to have quick access to AF-S so I can go into pinpoint mode for those Po occasional situations where I am trying to get focus on a very precise point or on something that's slightly too obscured for single point to fit in there. For instance, while critters hiding in the foliage usually don't make the best photos, every once in a while you still might want one and often single point can't help but catch the edge of some branch or leaf or something and closest target priority means you get focus on that. With pinpoint I can usually avoid this problem.
Good point. I’ll have to give it a try. Two days ago I had a bobcat hiding in the sage at Yellowstone periodically popping it’s head out for a look around. I only had single point AF quickly available and tried focusing on its ear. I got the shot EVENTUALLY but had I been able to switch quickly to single shot and pinpoint AF I could have focused on an eye through the sage. This wasn’t a case where I needed 20 shots/second to capture out of focus shots. Just needed on shot with pinpoint accuracy to capture it. I run into the same issue frequently and your suggestion may be the solution.

Steve’s position is well reasoned and highly functional. Case in point, shooting osprey nest building in early morning light. Lots of specular reflection off of the water, Auto Area struggling. Tap 3x on rec button, now on W large, problem solved. Osprey on nest, same lighting, AA struggling jumping to spots on body, highlighted sticks. Tap x 1 for spot focus, problem solved. Highly useful and efficient and way easier than programming and remembering individual buttons.

I also like to have quick access to AF-S so I can go into pinpoint mode for those occasional situations where I am trying to get focus on a very precise point or on something that's slightly too obscured for single point to fit in there. For instance, while critters hiding in the foliage usually don't make the best photos, every once in a while you still might want one and often single point can't help but catch the edge of some branch or leaf or something and closest target priority means you get focus on that. With pinpoint I can usually avoid this problem.
As I like to say, whatever works well for you is the right answer :) We're all different and it's great to have choices :)

I agree with you, I find the Press & Twirl is the optimal custom setting to select one among several options. As you say, it's quicker to reverse a step back etc, and with the Press Button Once enabled using the Red Video button.

I was skeptical initially, when the Z8 FW 2.0 introduced Cycle AF. The reality is in the testing, however.....since upgrading to Z9 FW 5.0.

I find the "trick" is to select a minimum of AF modes in the Cycle AF submenu. I have a total of 6 only - very quick to click through.

However, the AFS + Pinpoint mode sounds worth trialing, and ideal to setup on RSF [Hold] if it is possible.

Great step beyond, Many thanks to Steeve. : the Z9/Z8 was limiting the reaction time of the photographer by an old time ergonomy when using long lenses and when changing AF modes must be the fastest possible to keep chances.
We tested intensively with two other friends all Z9 with 800pf and 600 pf : all three are estimating that Steeve's trick is the faster ever. Really a game changer at the end of the day in semi-closed space such as bush , forests when no time is left for detecting , framing and shooting.

To me Cycle AF is great. I recognize the AF mode just looking at the size of the AF box (which is why I'm changing it in the first place). I can press the Cycle AF fast enough to cycle thru the choices faster than it takes me to push a button and rotate a command dial.....(it's also simpler for this dolt ;) ). My choices pretty much mimic Steves settings but I also have C2 selected. Cycle AF allowed me to eliminate an AF Override button that I've since put to good use for another function. It's not the be all to end all but I find it a great option.

Now that I'm spoilt with Cycle AF I want Cycle SD....:)

OK, I know many here at the forum already know about Cycle AF Areas in the Z8/9, but I've had questions, witnessed mistakes, and saw need for some clarification about how this works and what it does - so I made a video. :)

Everything you need to know to get the most from it - even if you already think you know what it is, there might be some new stuff here for ya :)

Thank you Steve for the update set up video! You fired me up and I was excited to update my Z9. I was not finding the menu items you identified when I realized I had not yet run the firmware update! Duh!! You do make it easy for us. I guess I’m now expecting you to run the updates for us (although you did do a video on this to again make it easy for us).

Having used this feature on Sony for years, I will say it is most useful when you limit your list of AF modes to a reasonable number. I only have 4 on my list so I have good muscle memory of how many clicks to get from any given AF mode to another. I think the push and scroll would be more useful if you have a long list of AF modes that you want to move between.

I have set up my Z 9 as I believe you have instructed. When I cycle, I see the present selection in a small text/icon at the top of my viewfinder, but the red box I am using in the middle of the viewfinder doesn't seem to change. Am I doing something wrong?

I have set up my Z 9 as I believe you have instructed. When I cycle, I see the present selection in a small text/icon at the top of my viewfinder, but the red box I am using in the middle of the viewfinder doesn't seem to change. Am I doing something wrong?
Is the camera/lens set to manual focus mode?

Nice video but I still find it much easier and much much faster to just map the 3 buttons on the back of the camera, AF ON, DISP, and the Sub Selector center press. If you are rushing and over press the Cycle AF mode button you have to run through them again. I also find I VERY rarely need to come off Auto Area in Bird SD for any situation.

Whatever works for people, but the mapped buttons is still my setup. This also allows my finger to never come off the shutter keeping me always ready to shoot. Personally I would much rather prefer an option to cycle through the different subject detection's than the AF modes, freeing up my RSF (Hold) for other options

Last edited:
Back