Nikon Z9, subject detection and focus tracking and lock-on

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon Canada had an online "Z9 discussion" with wildlife photographer Brad Hill last night. One thing I found very interesting (because I used to overly fret about my settings in this regard on the D6) is that Chris Ogenek of Nikon Canada referred to the users manual re focus tracking and lock-on and concluded that the manual says, and what his experience has been (and Brad Hill agreed), is that when using subject detection AF modes, focus tracking with lock-on (blocked shot, and subject motion) was not involved; that is it defaults to "3" or the camera's algorithms are simply making the decisions based on subject. Some on the call did say they had noticed a difference in choosing quicker or more delayed response... Chris says he's asked Japan for clarification, though, again, his reading of the manual is there is no user chosen adjustments to be made re focus tracking and lock on when using subject detect AF modes.

Simple test that will prove to any Z9 owner that Blocked Shot Response does function in Wide Area AF with Subject Tracking On. It was simple and repeatable when I tested.

Aim Wide Area AF at subject, let it detect the eye, continue to hold AF-ON, move the Wide area box totally off the subject over the background. Wait to see how long it takes before the system tries to drive AF and focus on the background. Do this with a setting of 1 and then 5...repeat if necessary...you will see there is a significant time difference between 1 and 5. 1 will refocus very quickly...5 waits much longer....long enough that for shorter BIF bursts I stopped switching over to 3D/Auto after launch as Wide would track all over the frame for enough time on a setting of 5.

Now with Auto and 3D things are likely different and we know that 3D uses "3" all the time and Auto uses 3, 4 or 5 (1 and 2 default to 3). Whether this is only with Subject Tracking Off is uncertain and hard to test.

Simple test that will prove to any Z9 owner that Blocked Shot Response does function in Wide Area AF with Subject Tracking On. It was simple and repeatable when I tested.

Aim Wide Area AF at subject, let it detect the eye, continue to hold AF-ON, move the Wide area box totally off the subject over the background. Wait to see how long it takes before the system tries to drive AF and focus on the background. Do this with a setting of 1 and then 5...repeat if necessary...you will see there is a significant time difference between 1 and 5. 1 will refocus very quickly...5 waits much longer....long enough that for shorter BIF bursts I stopped switching over to 3D/Auto after launch as Wide would track all over the frame for enough time on a setting of 5.

Now with Auto and 3D things are likely different and we know that 3D uses "3" all the time and Auto uses 3, 4 or 5 (1 and 2 default to 3). Whether this is only with Subject Tracking Off is uncertain and hard to test.

I just did it and observed the same think you did.

Yup, did a similar test a few weeks back, same conclusions :)

Back