Nikon Zf…..perfect!….almost

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A few years ago I wanted a full frame no frills travel camera. Without boring you ad nauseam with my check list, I settled on a Df. A new U.S. market edition proved difficult to locate. It was no longer in production. I did find a new one and used it for a few years. The Df has some D4 internals, no video (don’t care about that), and just 16MP. I have an assortment of vintage ai-s glass which I easily focused manually. It was a fun camera with a strong dose of nostalgia reminiscent of my original “F” from 69-70.

I read a number of Nikon “splashes” extolling the versatility and utility of a new model…… the “Zf”. 🧐hmmmmm… The more I read the more I became convinced I should transition to this mirrorless version of the Df. Several articles and videos seemed to confirm that vintage Nikkor glass was easy to focus with the Zf. It was easy with the Df, just turn the focus ring and look through the viewfinder to the lower left for the green arrows and ball. Most of the time you simply “knew” you had focus by the clarity of the subject..

So I got one. The new Zf is smaller. It has gobs of cutting edge features and technology. The interface with vintage ai-s era glass leaves much to be desired. It does NOT have the green arrows and ball thingy in the EVF. It only works with subject detection on and the focus box will grab whatever object it likes… and you can’t move it to where you want.

However, ” Focus Peaking” saves the day! It works soooo good with these old lenses! Improvements in manual focus capabilities may be forthcoming in future firmware upgrades. Like the little green arrows and ball or even a split screen like my old “F”. For now, I’m a happy camper with the Zf…. Lots of new tech to learn here.. Here’s some pix, Df/Zf comparison and the Zf with a 24mm ai-s lens.
IMG_0027.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

You can turn off subject detection whenever you like and continue to use auto focus or manual focus. When subject detection is on, you can select which subject you prefer to focus on.

I agree with you about focus peaking, though. It allows precise focus with older lenses.

You can turn off subject detection whenever you like and continue to use auto focus or manual focus. When subject detection is on, you can select which subject you prefer to focus on.

I agree with you about focus peaking, though. It allows precise focus with older lenses.
Yup, aware of that. The assist for ai-s manual focus lenses only works with subject detection

I will add that this procedure is specific to the Zf only….

I must admit the Zf is intriguing and I think Nikon nailed it on this one (unlike the Df which had no appeal to me). Other than my pocket point-and-shoot, I only have one camera currently: Nikon Z8. I would consider getting a Zf as a compact second body to throw in my bag IF it had more megapixels (even thirty might be enough to sway me). But 24 is not quite there, since I would use it for landscape/architecture and potentially big (up to 40x60 inch) enlargements. So close, Nikon, but not quite.

I must admit the Zf is intriguing and I think Nikon nailed it on this one (unlike the Df which had no appeal to me). Other than my pocket point-and-shoot, I only have one camera currently: Nikon Z8. I would consider getting a Zf as a compact second body to throw in my bag IF it had more megapixels (even thirty might be enough to sway me). But 24 is not quite there, since I would use it for landscape/architecture and potentially big (up to 40x60 inch) enlargements. So close, Nikon, but not quite.
Fred, A new technology in the Zf is called “pixel shifting”, or something like that. You can get 96 mega pixels (😳) out of this new camera. It is especially suited to guys like you that do landscapes and architecture. I doubt I would ever use this function but it is there for guys like you. For me, a smaller version of the Df with IBIS, HEIF capabilities, multi-position screen (that also closes up), pixel increase…yatta yatta….. made this an easy choice. And, I can use any lens I own… It might be the new “Swiss Army Knife” in Nikon’s lineup…… 🤔

The instruction literature that comes with the Zf if ridiculous (see pic). I got more info with a Timex watch I bought 20 years ago. You’re not supposed to eat batteries or throw them in a fire, etc…. Stupid stuff for product liability issues. Nikon recommends that you visit their website and download detailed instructions, which I did. The section on using the FTZ adapter with older, non-AF lenses was vague. You have to dig into the settings menu a bit. For “focusing assist“ with these lenses it requires selecting a “subj detection mode” to work. That sucks. With DSLRs you get the green arrows and ball thingy in the lower left of the viewfinder. Not so with mirrorless cameras paired with non-AF lenses via the FTZ adapter. When I followed the instructions to pair the Zf w/an ai-s lens, every subj mode selection made the focus point different. It selected and locked on to other objects.. The focus peaking option DOES work and works great! Hopefully Nikon can get the manual focus thing sorted out. Like the split screen or the green arrows and ball…. It’s really just an aid when you think about it. I manually focused my lenses since the 60’s and can still do it when needed…maybe 😂. Happy New Year anyway… If you figger this out let me know…
IMG_0091.jpeg

Fred, A new technology in the Zf is called “pixel shifting”, or something like that. You can get 96 mega pixels (😳) out of this new camera. It is especially suited to guys like you that do landscapes and architecture. I doubt I would ever use this function but it is there for guys like you. For me, a smaller version of the Df with IBIS, HEIF capabilities, multi-position screen (that also closes up), pixel increase…yatta yatta….. made this an easy choice. And, I can use any lens I own… It might be the new “Swiss Army Knife” in Nikon’s lineup…… 🤔

The Zf is nothing short of an amazing camera. It's my backup camera for a pair of Z9s, but I've actually used it as my main camera too. Here is a short video on pixel shift capability I shot during a commercial shoot for Toyota.

The Zf is nothing short of an amazing camera. It's my backup camera for a pair of Z9s, but I've actually used it as my main camera too. Here is a short video on pixel shift capability I shot during a commercial shoot for Toyota.

Thanks Nimi…. That was cool!

I have a Z9, but I'm using my Zf as a landscape camera. Heck, when I had the Z9, Z8, and Z6II, I used my Z6II as a landscape camera. I have no problem producing rich detailed pictures that are 32" wide from a 24MP file. With that said, I've never gone 60" wide... however, if that is your goal, you might be better off with a Fuji GFX 50 or 100MP body.
I used to be landscape obsessed and shot with both a Hasselblad 500CM and Hasselblad XPan. In the last 2 years I've been more focused on wildlife, and the Zf is a good backup to my Z9. If I start to spend more time in landscape rich locations, I will consider adding a Fuji MF camera to my bag.
cheers,
bruce

I have a Z9, but I'm using my Zf as a landscape camera. Heck, when I had the Z9, Z8, and Z6II, I used my Z6II as a landscape camera. I have no problem producing rich detailed pictures that are 32" wide from a 24MP file. With that said, I've never gone 60" wide... however, if that is your goal, you might be better off with a Fuji GFX 50 or 100MP body.
I used to be landscape obsessed and shot with both a Hasselblad 500CM and Hasselblad XPan. In the last 2 years I've been more focused on wildlife, and the Zf is a good backup to my Z9. If I start to spend more time in landscape rich locations, I will consider adding a Fuji MF camera to my bag.
cheers,
bruce

Bruce, I shoot the Fuji, and I must tell you that the Z9 with the 14-24 is every bit as good, probably better for 99% of the time. If you must get a 100 or a 200mp file for 60" print, pano & stitch does the trick. The extra 2 bits of depth don't show even in the deepest blacks as long as you keep the Z at ISO64.

The big difference is the lenses. I shot the Fuji 120mm and the Z105 side by side this weekend and the Nikon was far sharper at 300%. My bet is it would print better. Also, the Fuji AF is not great. I hear it's a little better in the 100 mk 2.

Studio Session-342.jpg

The instruction literature that comes with the Zf if ridiculous (see pic). I got more info with a Timex watch I bought 20 years ago. You’re not supposed to eat batteries or throw them in a fire, etc…. Stupid stuff for product liability issues. Nikon recommends that you visit their website and download detailed instructions, which I did. The section on using the FTZ adapter with older, non-AF lenses was vague. You have to dig into the settings menu a bit. For “focusing assist“ with these lenses it requires selecting a “subj detection mode” to work. That sucks. With DSLRs you get the green arrows and ball thingy in the lower left of the viewfinder. Not so with mirrorless cameras paired with non-AF lenses via the FTZ adapter. When I followed the instructions to pair the Zf w/an ai-s lens, every subj mode selection made the focus point different. It selected and locked on to other objects.. The focus peaking option DOES work and works great! Hopefully Nikon can get the manual focus thing sorted out. Like the split screen or the green arrows and ball…. It’s really just an aid when you think about it. I manually focused my lenses since the 60’s and can still do it when needed…maybe 😂. Happy New Year anyway… If you figger this out let me know…
View attachment 78422
Oooohhhhh, nice Martin on the stand there. Is it a 45 or a 42? Can't see the back and sides from this angle. I bet she sounds great.

Yup….very observant of you! That’s my other Martin… a D42…. companion to my old D28…
She's a beauty. I have an HD28V that I bought around 2000 and an all KOA SPD-16K2 that I got around 2009 or so. I have several other guitars too. As my wife reminds me, I have more guitars than I do talent. Only gig I play these days is I play bass in our church band. Older I get the less interest I have in gigging. I'm fine with my unpaid Sunday morning gig.

Yep, that is a beautiful guitar. I have always been partial to the style 42 over the style 45. 42 has just the right amount of bling without being "too much"
Jeff

Back