Nikon Zf user tips and glass

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, you may remember my previous posts about the need for smaller gear for wildlife. I ended up keeping my Fuji X-H2S and buying the Tamron 150-500 for x-mount.

I feel super happy with the results so far. I think this is one of the best options for a lightweight birding in APS-C format.

But I HAD to have the Nikon Zf! I had sold off my f-mount lenses and cameras last year due to weight and regret it somewhat. It made sense to me to use the Zf for street and general purpose photography and see if maybe in the future, I could pick up a lens that might work for wildlife and birding especially.

I won’t be buying that lens tomorrow. For one, I have a workable kit with the Fuji but the other reason is I make one more major purchase in gear I may end up divorced!!!

So, was wondering if there’s a lens that I might be able to trade for in the used market that could serve for a while just to get a sense of what a Z system could do for me while I let the credit card cool off. Or do I just wait a while and get proper Z glass?

Also, been watching Steve’s videos and it seems Wide-c in combination with 3D is the best autofocus approach, correct?

So, lens thoughts and AF for the Zf… ?

Hello, you may remember my previous posts about the need for smaller gear for wildlife. I ended up keeping my Fuji X-H2S and buying the Tamron 150-500 for x-mount.

I feel super happy with the results so far. I think this is one of the best options for a lightweight birding in APS-C format.

But I HAD to have the Nikon Zf! I had sold off my f-mount lenses and cameras last year due to weight and regret it somewhat. It made sense to me to use the Zf for street and general purpose photography and see if maybe in the future, I could pick up a lens that might work for wildlife and birding especially.

I won’t be buying that lens tomorrow. For one, I have a workable kit with the Fuji but the other reason is I make one more major purchase in gear I may end up divorced!!!

So, was wondering if there’s a lens that I might be able to trade for in the used market that could serve for a while just to get a sense of what a Z system could do for me while I let the credit card cool off. Or do I just wait a while and get proper Z glass?

Also, been watching Steve’s videos and it seems Wide-c in combination with 3D is the best autofocus approach, correct?

So, lens thoughts and AF for the Zf… ?
Went through similar thought process when I added a Zf to my Z9s and ended up with a very good, very cheap, fast-focusing retro-looking Z 28/2.8 SE. It's a fun kit. Thinking about getting a Voight for its manual iris dial.

Went through similar thought process when I added a Zf to my Z9s and ended up with a very good, very cheap, fast-focusing retro-looking Z 28/2.8 SE. It's a fun kit. Thinking about getting a Voight for its manual iris dial.
The kit came with the 40mil which is nice - a tiny bit soft in certain light but nice. I’m more of a 28 mil girl so I’m planning on the lens for sure! Would be great to get that used along with a longer birding lens if I can trade some other gear for it. I do still have two Nikon lenses left - the 24-120 g f4 and the 35 g 1.8 dx.

The kit came with the 40mil which is nice - a tiny bit soft in certain light but nice. I’m more of a 28 mil girl so I’m planning on the lens for sure! Would be great to get that used along with a longer birding lens if I can trade some other gear for it. I do still have two Nikon lenses left - the 24-120 g f4 and the 35 g 1.8 dx.

40mm for me is a weird focal range. 50 or 28...

The Z 24-70 f4 S can be bought used very cheap. I got one in mint condition for just over $400. I use it with a Z8, but it is small and light enough that I think it is a good fit for the Zf. There may even be some for sale on this site (if not, look to KEH and MPB and B&H).

The reason they are availabe so cheap used is that after it came out, Nikon released the equally sharp Z 24-120 f4 S that sells for only a hundred bucks more. Also the Z 24-70 f4 S was offered as a kit lens but a lot of kit buyers replaced it. Thus, supply and demand means the used market is flooded with 24-70 f4 lenses which means it sells for a low price, which is good news for buyers like you and me.

@Juliette

If you don't mind manual focus there are a host of top quality vintage lenses out there. Zeiss 50mm f2.8 Tessars go for about £30 in the UK and a Zeiss 135mm f3.5 from £40. All you need is an adaptor and if you use lenses of whatever brand with the same mount, you only need 1 adaptor. The Helios 44 58mm f2 are also a good cheap lens - I've got several from early pre-set to later single aperture ring models. My latest vintage lens is a Nikon pre ai 105mm f2.5 (a really good lens and sought after) that I got from a dealer for just £99 inc delivery.

They can also be used on the Fuji with the appropriate adaptor(s).

The Vilrox mkii 85mm f1.8 AF for Z mount is fantastic value. I saw reviews from respectable reviewers with the consensus that it was 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8S, but I got mine inc delivery for just £294!! The Z 85mm f1.8 sells at around £650 in the UK.

@Juliette

If you don't mind manual focus there are a host of top quality vintage lenses out there. Zeiss 50mm f2.8 Tessars go for about £30 in the UK and a Zeiss 135mm f3.5 from £40. All you need is an adaptor and if you use lenses of whatever brand with the same mount, you only need 1 adaptor. The Helios 44 58mm f2 are also a good cheap lens - I've got several from early pre-set to later single aperture ring models. My latest vintage lens is a Nikon pre ai 105mm f2.5 (a really good lens and sought after) that I got from a dealer for just £99 inc delivery.

They can also be used on the Fuji with the appropriate adaptor(s).

The Vilrox mkii 85mm f1.8 AF for Z mount is fantastic value. I saw reviews from respectable reviewers with the consensus that it was 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8S, but I got mine inc delivery for just £294!! The Z 85mm f1.8 sells at around £650 in the UK.
I AM looking for manual focus options as well, thank you. I appreciate the suggestions and will take a look. I've heard great things about that Zeiss 2.8. I know that TTArtisan makes one super cheap that is decent quality as well but I would rather go Zeiss orHelios. That 105mm you have sounds amazing too! Excellent suggestions - thank you @dabhand16!

I AM looking for manual focus options as well, thank you. I appreciate the suggestions and will take a look. I've heard great things about that Zeiss 2.8. I know that TTArtisan makes one super cheap that is decent quality as well but I would rather go Zeiss orHelios. That 105mm you have sounds amazing too! Excellent suggestions - thank you @dabhand16!

Better is the Zeiss 50mm f1.8 Pancolar, but they are expensive. Olympus 50mm f18 are also good and cheaper than the Pancolar. I also have a Zeiss 58mm f2 Biotar which is TINY and LIGHT!! Mine is a rare model that was only made for about 6 years in the late 1940s to early 50s, but I struggle to see any differences in the pictures with my Helios 44s that use the same design as the Biotar, They are bigger though.

The vintage lens world is not without its snags so before you buy get familar with what to look for with any lens. I have some info on my website if you would like to take a look. No wall hangers, but just to show what you can get from these lovely lenses:

Pictures for each lens click on the buttons https://www.wizardlyimagery.co.uk/vintage-and-manual-focus-lens-index.html

Last edited:
This is fantastic! I will take my time and read through it. Meanwhile, I picked up an OM to Z mount adapter so I can start using some of my older Olympus glass. Very excited - thank you so much!

This is fantastic! I will take my time and read through it. Meanwhile, I picked up an OM to Z mount adapter so I can start using some of my older Olympus glass. Very excited - thank you so much!
The TT is a toy lens. Might be okay stepped down, but completely falls apart open. Re the Olympus, don't forget the ZF is full-frame and depending on what Oly lenses you use, they may not cover the sensor. The Ai-S are great value if you're okay with using an FTZ and manual focus.

RE: the TT lens, I have one for my Fuji and so far it's been really good. I probably wouldn't get it for the Zf anyway.

RE: the Olympus lenses, I have a plethora of old SLR lenses from my OMD OM film cameras. All manual so good to go there @Nimi

Great! Get an Oly>X mount adaptor and your 50mm f1.8 will give you the field of view of a 75mm f1.8 and a 135mm is effectively 200mm on the Fuji.

Get the Boryoza FX-NZ adapter and use your Tamron 150-500 in DX mode.

However! If the Tamron has a weather sealing gasket it may not work with the adapter.

@Juliette

Zf in DX mode is about 10.6mp, which leaves very little if any for cropping post. It also drop the dynamic range by a stop or so, so I'd stay at the lowest ISO possible.

Appreciate that, @Nimi ... I actually slept on the idea and changed my mind on that anyway. I sold off all my f-mount gear and older Nikon lenses from 20 years ago and really regretting it now!

The idea is to slowly add just a couple of lenses to my new Zf both on the shorter side for street photography and longer side for birding. I have some options on the shorter side, but nothing on the long side.

This morning, a buddy of mine offered an option. He has a Sigma 150-600 that he used to use with his D500. I'm going over there to check it out today in his backyard and see how the Zf responds to it (or not).

Can I just say again how much I regret selling all my Nikon gear?!

The idea is to slowly add just a couple of lenses to my new Zf both on the shorter side for street photography and longer side for birding. I have some options on the shorter side, but nothing on the long side.

I've got a Tamron SP 500 that came with not only the full set of filters, but also a matching 2xTC. That cost me IIRC just 95GBP! This is a mirror lens and not much good for moving subjects unless slow and/or across the field of view. Mirror lenses have a fixed aperture, mine is f8, but they are very compact and light. Several makes available including Nikon. See my website for sample images. My one has a very long focus throw, presumably to allow fine focusing, but no idea if they are all like this.

Appreciate that, @Nimi ... I actually slept on the idea and changed my mind on that anyway. I sold off all my f-mount gear and older Nikon lenses from 20 years ago and really regretting it now!

This morning, a buddy of mine offered an option. He has a Sigma 150-600 that he used to use with his D500. I'm going over there to check it out today in his backyard and see how the Zf responds to it (or not).

Can I just say again how much I regret selling all my Nikon gear?!

I got rid of most of my autofocus F-mount, but kept all my Ai-S lenses to use on my film camera (F5). They were also cine-moded for use on the Z9, and now I am slowly beginning to use them on the Zf.

To one, they are all too soft on the Z9, I think they were never able to resolve to that level. For video work I actually want that because the modern lenses are too clinically digital for my clients and I need to add mist filters. However, they are perfect with the lower-resolution Zf.

The good news is that Ai-S are plenty and cheap, especially if you're comfortable buying from Japan via eBay. I have an entire set of fast primes (24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 135) which aren't worth much, but produce wonderful images and videos.

You mentioned ”short glass” also for the Zf. I’ve been using the Z14-30mm “S” and have been very impressed with the images….
IMG_0115.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I got rid of most of my autofocus F-mount, but kept all my Ai-S lenses to use on my film camera (F5). They were also cine-moded for use on the Z9, and now I am slowly beginning to use them on the Zf.

To one, they are all too soft on the Z9, I think they were never able to resolve to that level. For video work I actually want that because the modern lenses are too clinically digital for my clients and I need to add mist filters. However, they are perfect with the lower-resolution Zf.

The good news is that Ai-S are plenty and cheap, especially if you're comfortable buying from Japan via eBay. I have an entire set of fast primes (24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 135) which aren't worth much, but produce wonderful images and videos.
I do the same with my Zf. I use them with a “dumb” adapter from Urth. You can even use non-AI lenses which can be really cheap. My latest acquisition is the Nikkor-H 50mm f/2. It’s quite small and very sharp and much cheaper than a Summicron! 😎

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 29
This week I picked up a couple of lenses already ... @Nimi you were right about that TTArtisan but will keep it anyway. It's cheap and can stay on the camera when I am home just to grab fast shots. I also dug up an older Nikon Nikkor AI 28mm f2.8 from a used camera shop. Quite pleased! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This can certainly get addictive!

I have the Zf and I love it, more than I thought I would. Actually bought it to silence the little nagging voice in my head that was telling me I was missing out. Figured I'd return it after unboxing and I'd be done with my retro obsession. Nope 😆🤷🏻‍♂️ Can't put this thing down lately. I've just been shooting in mono mostly, using that little B&W switch (RAW, so I can of course convert to color if I decide to later). Super fun!

Anyway, an interim lens for street & general purpose, I'd say the excellent 50 1.8 S! Or maybe the 35 1.8 S? I love that 50 though. If you want to go a little wider, then I'd suggest the little 26 2.8 pancake lens (which is next up on my list!), keep hearing great things about it.

Down the road / when you're ready, the 180-600 is probably your best value for birds / wildlife. Another one that's next up on my list 🙂

I have the Zf and I love it, more than I thought I would. Actually bought it to silence the little nagging voice in my head that was telling me I was missing out. Figured I'd return it after unboxing and I'd be done with my retro obsession. Nope 😆🤷🏻‍♂️ Can't put this thing down lately. I've just been shooting in mono mostly, using that little B&W switch (RAW, so I can of course convert to color if I decide to later). Super fun!

Anyway, an interim lens for street & general purpose, I'd say the excellent 50 1.8 S! Or maybe the 35 1.8 S? I love that 50 though. If you want to go a little wider, then I'd suggest the little 26 2.8 pancake lens (which is next up on my list!), keep hearing great things about it.

Down the road / when you're ready, the 180-600 is probably your best value for birds / wildlife. Another one that's next up on my list 🙂
@ccirelli my sentiments exactly! I am so glad I got it. I have only 40mm z at the moment because I've had way too much fun so far with old Nikon SLR manual lenses and adapters for my variety of older Olympus lenses too. I am a street photographer primarily so it fits the bill.

If you’re planning to shoot birds & wildlife handheld I don’t recommend using the 180-600 lens with the Zf. I find that the small and light camera body doesn’t counterbalance the lens well, given the weight and length of the lens. YMMV, of course.

Use of the combination with a monopod or tripod should be fine, though.

Last edited:
Back