Nikon Zf user tips and glass

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you’re planning to shoot birds & wildlife handheld I don’t recommend using the 180-600 lens with the Zf. I find that the small and light camera body doesn’t counterbalance the lens well, given the weight and length of the lens. YMMV, of course.

Use of the combination with a monopod or tripod should be fine, though.
I actually was thinking of the Tamron 150-500. I have one for my Fuji X-H2S and love it so far! Either that or the 400 with the 1.4x TC.

Hello, you may remember my previous posts about the need for smaller gear for wildlife. I ended up keeping my Fuji X-H2S and buying the Tamron 150-500 for x-mount.

I feel super happy with the results so far. I think this is one of the best options for a lightweight birding in APS-C format.

But I HAD to have the Nikon Zf! I had sold off my f-mount lenses and cameras last year due to weight and regret it somewhat. It made sense to me to use the Zf for street and general purpose photography and see if maybe in the future, I could pick up a lens that might work for wildlife and birding especially.

I won’t be buying that lens tomorrow. For one, I have a workable kit with the Fuji but the other reason is I make one more major purchase in gear I may end up divorced!!!

So, was wondering if there’s a lens that I might be able to trade for in the used market that could serve for a while just to get a sense of what a Z system could do for me while I let the credit card cool off. Or do I just wait a while and get proper Z glass?

Also, been watching Steve’s videos and it seems Wide-c in combination with 3D is the best autofocus approach, correct?

So, lens thoughts and AF for the Zf… ?

FWIW

If your looking for manual short lenses, for your Zf a consideration based on my experience is, as i have been for years been enjoying genuine Ziess glass, Period.

Voigtländer for me is very nice but its next level down, Leica is adaptable but really Ziess does a fabulous job for far less money and little difference in many cases.

I find with Ziess or Leica glass in a general sense they excel or are designed to perform exceptionally well from F5.6 to F2, once they get to F8 and beyond they pretty much become similar to the very top end Nikon Canon Sony high end primes.

For myself Ziess has a far better and smother precise zooming feel that works so well especially with video, Ziess has greater micro and macro contrast, slightly better colour, and unique clarity offering pop and subject isolation.

European light is different an usually requires a little more contrast, for portraiture here in OZ some people feel Ziess is a little to contrasting, myself i feel is perfectly great.
I find that the light in Tasmania and south Island of NZ just really is magical by comparison to rain forests in far north Queensland.

One huge advantage of Ziess is using infinity, my 100mm F2 macro kills everything when i simply put it on infinity, i can shoot out of a Chopper or light plain with stunning landscape outcomes, i can nail para gliders from cliff tops with stunning colour and detail on my 100 F2 Ziess macro, once the subject is over 15 - 20 meters and everything is brilliantly in focus and tack sharp.

Nikon F2.8 F1.4 F1.8 lenses have truly excelled and one of my all time favorites is simply the 50mm 1.8S, once you use it you often will not want to use much else.

Nikon 50mm 1.8s, Ziess 50mm 1.4 macro, Ziess 100 F2 macro are my tools.

It depends on what your doing and wanting to archive, there is just so much choice out there.
Myself i have the DF Z9 D850, i like the ZF and its on my radar but the Z7III 61mp 10 fps is my overall preference at this stage if it eventuates.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm open to all possibilities but I think I'm most interested in the pre-AI lenses. For some reason, even though there can be imperfections such as fringing, etc. there is a magical quality about them that interest me. I got the Nikon Nikkor-H 1:2 50mm. I paid $45 and it's in great condition apart from some internal dust which per my testing does not affect the photos. I also love the 28mm f 1.4 and the 3.5. The adapted Olympus 50 1.2 is phenomenal as well! I have to pace myself with these purchases :). Fortunately I have so many Olympus SRL manual lenses that will keep me busy for a while.

NikonRumors posted a screen grab of a video showing Zf with a Voigtlander lens (40mm I think?). Looks good. But what really looks good IMO is that the control dials have had the black paint sanded off to let the natural brass show through.

I actually was thinking of the Tamron 150-500. I have one for my Fuji X-H2S and love it so far! Either that or the 400 with the 1.4x TC.
Another long lens to consider is a used 500mm pf, if you have an FTZ. It's probably lighter than the tamron 150-500 (?), and I guarantee you'll get addicted to it! You also already have a 150-500 covered by the fuji.

A lot of people seem to be enjoying the 500mm pf with their z8s and z9s. Even though I'm planning to switch to mirrorless at some point, I bought my used one for dslr use now and mirrorless use later. No way I'll get spousal approval to buy z long teles after the Z body!

There's a 500mm listed on the forum.

Do you like macro? I love my old ai-s 55mm micro nikkor f2.8. Manual focus as smooth as butter.

And I'm with you on not selling my old nikon lenses until I see what I want to use on a z8 or z9 once I switch. I have a perfect copy of a 85mm f1.8 pre ai-s I want to try.

It sounds like you are having fun...(me too, despite my inexperience)

NikonRumors posted a screen grab of a video showing Zf with a Voigtlander lens (40mm I think?). Looks good. But what really looks good IMO is that the control dials have had the black paint sanded off to let the natural brass show through.
That's what I use. Great combo.

Back