Nikon's new Z8/Z9 Setting Guide (Wildlife Edition)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

[EDITED] This appears to be new; Nikon has added since I downloaded the new Suppl Manual for Z9 FW 5.0 a few days ago

It's bit skint compared to @Steve 's books ;) However, it confirms yet again Nikon is branching out from a central emphasis on designing products for Sports photography into the growing market of Wildlife photographers.

Sports has long been their traditional emphasis in support manuals for their high end ILCs eg the Sports AF setting guides, and it reflects a strong emphasis of their R&D on the AF settings and custom settings in these cameras. These dedicated Sports AF Guides go back to at least the D5/D500 circa 2016

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I do hope it reflects greater interest from Nikon in wildlife photography.

As to the substance, you're right. Not in the same league as Steve's books. And it seems to me relatively simplistic recommendations, given the sophistication of the Z9/Z8 bodies.

In my opinion I find it a rather useless guide
I was... decidedly underwhelmed. I think it sort of works as a guide for someone who is maybe an owner of a Z8/9 who wants to try wildlife photography out but has absolutely no background at all. For the average user of this forum, it's very much going to be more on the useless side.

It has a recommendation to use aperture priority mode to photograph BIF with 6.3 lens at max iso 2000.... :) Maybe I'm doing things wrong all this time....
And on page 27, the advice is to use a Dynamic Area (S) mode with Subject Detection (Animal)?
Last time I checked, SR doesn't work with the Dynamic modes. Perhaps they meant to type Wide Area (S)?
I agree it's underwhelming and less detailed (ie skint) compared to their AF Sports guides. Half of the content reviews the Z Nikkor telephotos, which is obviously marketing as much as guidance.
Nevertheless, Nikon is expanding its envelope, compared to the traditional emphasis on stadia sports.

Thom Hogan's response:
" My suggestion is you ignore this new PDF from Nikon. It doesn't teach you anything, it has misguided, misleading, and inconsistent info in it, and I fail to see how it's going to make you a better wildlife photographer. Oh, it's a long way from "technical."

Hi All, does anyone recall how Steve Perry set up the highlight blowup (such as the zebra pattern that is only for manual focus) while shooting fully manual speed + capture with manual adjust ISO? I use the lens ring control for ISO, however, I am unable to set up my Z8 to quick and easy to view the highlight blowup (such as the zebra pattern) other than histogram which is hard to see from view finder. Thank you in advance. David

In summary, Nikon has a published an underwhelming technical manual, with errors and missing advice. It's more of a marketing document for the new Z Telephotos.

On the positive side, publication does suggest Nikon latterly recognizes the importance of Wildlife photography for its products

Back