North American River Otter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Otter Family enjoying a fish dinner.
Happy trails.

51957730499_62c15c9d5a_h (1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

51957426426_d560a0d5cd_h (1).jpg

51958013075_a06c1e54ee_h.jpg

Great shots. Lovely. Spotted one of those in Toronto (of all places) on the weekend; got a photo (not remotely shareable quality; just 'proof' really :) ). Now, they're at the top of my shot list given I know where they're hanging out. These guys were considered pretty much extirpated from the Greater Toronto Area for a very long time, until being spotted again in the last few years.

Great shots. Lovely. Spotted one of those in Toronto (of all places) on the weekend; got a photo (not remotely shareable quality; just 'proof' really :) ). Now, they're at the top of my shot list given I know where they're hanging out. These guys were considered pretty much extirpated from the Greater Toronto Area for a very long time, until being spotted again in the last few years.
Thanks Steven.
Happy you were able to spot one and glad they're slowly making a comeback.
Happy trails.

One of my favorite animals. I always consider myself lucky for an opportunity to be able to observe them for more than a few seconds. Well done.
I was lucky enough to have a pair play (for less than half a minute) in the bow wake of my canoe on a river once, and I was in the bow. Magical.

Cool captures, Paul. The last shot reminds me of the goofy TV song ... (you probably haven't heard it)

fish-heads fish-heads
roly-poly fish heads
fish-heads fish-heads
eat them up, yum! - author, unknown

I've seen a few of them at distance around here but it's a rarity and they were super skittish. they saw me 30 m out and disappeared under the water. Maybe someday I'll capture one.

I was lucky enough to have a pair play (for less than half a minute) in the bow wake of my canoe on a river once, and I was in the bow. Magical.
I sat quietly in a kayak against a rocky shore and had a whole family of six pups and both parents swim by and around me. One of the pups slid up onto a rock beside me and I thought it was going to climb in the boat with me. Have had a couple of similarly close encounters. Then this past fall within a few weeks time there were two incidents in the news of people being viciously attacked by otters and receiving dozens of bites in each case. I had always thought them to be harmless. I'll be more cautious in future.

I sat quietly in a kayak against a rocky shore and had a whole family of six pups and both parents swim by and around me. One of the pups slid up onto a rock beside me and I thought it was going to climb in the boat with me. Have had a couple of similarly close encounters. Then this past fall within a few weeks time there were two incidents in the news of people being viciously attacked by otters and receiving dozens of bites in each case. I had always thought them to be harmless. I'll be more cautious in future.
Wow, that's a lovely experience you had! But, yah I've seen such news stories; good cautionary tales to remind me thatdespite cuteness any animal that's wild is well wild! Just watched a video of a person inch up to a bison and try to pet it! Or people feeding sealions from their boats and then the seal coming aboard and attacking folks as they reach out to pet them. Not sure what gets into people's heads, other than too many Disney movies?

Cool captures, Paul. The last shot reminds me of the goofy TV song ... (you probably haven't heard it)

fish-heads fish-heads
roly-poly fish heads
fish-heads fish-heads
eat them up, yum! - author, unknown

I've seen a few of them at distance around here but it's a rarity and they were super skittish. they saw me 30 m out and disappeared under the water. Maybe someday I'll capture one.
Thanks Kirk, had luck on my side that day.
Happy trails.

That's quite a demented little loony tune, a real toe tapper. 😄
Skip to 2:15 in the video.

Thanks for the comment Dan.
They sure are comical characters, but are wild, powerful and play rough.
Happy trails.

Back