Notes from NPS Presentation - Firmware 3.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

EricBowles

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon Professional Services had a one hour program on November 10 with Mike Corrado and Mark Cruz. Lots of great information about the firmware update and features you might not have known about. Here are my notes - and none of this was tested during the program so I won't necessarily be able to add further explanations.

With pre-release capture, you often capture a lot of frames and know there was obviously no need for any of the series. Rather than deleting lots of high frame rate images individually, you can delete the entire burst or series using a new iMenu option. Go to first frame in the series. Viewfinder shows a stack icon. Select iMenu – Manage series / Delete – Deletes entire series – saves a lot of time in post processing

Playback display options - Mark first shot in the series as a Playback option - let's you quickly find and view the start of a series.

Option for Series Playback – choice of first shot, entire burst in a stack (all images in the stack) – plays back the stack as a series

Panning – with mirrorless, first frame at actual shutter speed is displayed. A DSLR provides a blackout so you can see frames begin and end, but the Z9 does not have a blackout at any time so it has to create a "fake" blackout. D14 – Release Timing Indicator – provides three options so you can bring back the blackout if desired with Type A. You can also set the shutter speed at which the “fake” blackout occurs.

Lots of improvements to AF

• Low Light, stickiness, etc.
  • Should have less tendency to focus on backgrounds or interruptions

Flash or remote flashes trigger bright image – not ambient lighting. Built into custom menu now. Can set it to display ambient lighting.

Custom D9 – View Mode LV – Default is now “Show effects of settings” – camera settings are displayed with ambient light measured and displayed. If you like to see the image through the EVF as though flash was active, choose “Adjust for ease of viewing”

For pictures of LED panels (like advertising at stadiums or camera views) – previously could have banding. Custom function now for both (stills and video) listed as High Frequency Flicker Reduction

Vertical playback – Playback now shows vertical format if that is how you are shooting. Great for mounted on a tripod in a studio.

Video:

High Res Zoom – In video mode you can zoom up to equivalent of 2x focal length. 4k file output. No longer need to record in 8k and crop in post. This is a 4k file without needing to handle a large file or crop later. 50mm f/1.2 lens can become a 100mm lens with the same DOF. Works with new accessory for video. Custom menu - Video – G8 – choose desired speed for high res zoom. Under Controls G2 – program Fn button to High Res Zoom. Fn1 can be set to Zoom In / Automatically sets Fn2 to Zoom Out. Can also program Lens Fn Ring or Control Ring to Zoom in or Zoom out in a similar manner to be used for Hi-Res Zoom (Lens must be mounted). High Res Zoom is always downsizing – only non-Raw formats.

Time codes – time codes can be simultaneously reset for multiple cameras using the WRT-10 remote / WR11a – set them to the exact frame – Z9 only right now. Can use GPS clock to synch using Snapbridge if you have Z6ii/Z7ii and earlier cameras.

Also can be used with Atamos AirGluBT to synchronize camera clock across multiple cameras – not limited to cameras – can include all products compatible with AirGlu. Z9 only right now.

Video – G6 AF Speed – You can change the speed at which the lens moves for changes in focus. Makes it easier to capture fast moving subjects with all in focus. Reminder - G7 – AF Tracking – Low makes it slower so camera sticks on a focus target longer.

Macro – Focus Shift Shooting – New option in the Shooting Menu – Focus Position Auto Reset – Turn On and the camera will return to the original focus distance after a stack is completed so an additional stack can be created.

Now there is a Full Format option when formatting the card in the camera. Full Format does wipe out the card completely – images can’t be recovered using software. Some cards require full formatting for 8k Raw video. Full Format is recommended if you are shooting 8k video. Otherwise it’s simply an available option.

i know these are usually basically walk-throughs on the features but i was disappointing they didn't seem to really talk to the subject tracking stuff (at all?!). i had to put it on in the background, but i don't recall them talking about it in any detail.
No - they did comment about the improvements in AF with better low light, more stickiness in subject detect modes and better emphasis on the subject over the background. But they did not spend time talking about tracking for stills - just video.

The program did start with Mike Corrado sharing a very tight series of images of gulls feeding. His comment - and what I saw - was that every bird was very sharp with great detail around the eye. And every image seemed to have food - crabs, fish, or snail shells. It makes you want to avoid wasting your time with a subject that is not feeding or doing something special.

Eric - thanks - we have asked NPS UK and Ricci to provide more information -- from the source -- about the AF changes and any guidance Nikon, as opposed to 3rd parties - can provide to us about hybrid-Af Handoffs.
Some folk seem overly keen to have Nikon apologize for providing an update with a BUG -- we that is certainly NOT my agenda. Mine is simply to understand what they were trying to do and to receive ANY GUIDANCE, as opposed to NONE, that Nikon, Nikon Educators, or NPS can provide in relation to how the expected AF to work after upgrading to 3.0.
Hudson Henry has just posted a number videos on YouTube -- and I agree with him - the Af is better after upgrading to v3.0 and YES - folk may need to change how they perform hybrid-AF -- mainly folk need to take care the focus point is locked onto a subject before switching to 3D.

Some folk seem overly keen to have Nikon apologize for providing an update with a BUG -- we that is certainly NOT my agenda. Mine is simply to understand what they were trying to do and to receive ANY GUIDANCE, as opposed to NONE, that Nikon, Nikon Educators, or NPS can provide in relation to how the expected AF to work after upgrading to 3.0.
agree. i wasn't looking for them to even admit it's a bug. it can be "some people have been struggling with x.y.z and here's some guidance".

I think it would be great if Nikon UK and Europe NPS had access to this program. It is a good program. There is another coming up in December led by Paul Van Allen. He's always good and the information is very practical.

I'm not particularly worried about a bug as long as it is rare with a fast fix. They had been testing the firmware for a while, so it sounds like the bug was picking up some old code or an older file at some point as they were distributing it. It is a mistake that should not happen and is a shame since it was tested well in advance as it was to be deployed.

THANK YOU Eric, you are an asset to Nikon, and I personally thank you for posting here.

> " ... was that every bird was very sharp with great detail ..."

I'm reading birds!? Birds!? Birds!
Birds do not buy my pictures oir pay for the gear! Albeit, pretty English birds did buy.

My issue, and still current with 3.0, ... focus is affected by light on/in the scene, rain totally scrambles the focus, if locked onto a 'people' head, and the person falls focus is lost. Focus tracking with lock on 1-5 is contrarian, so it seems, and weak, found 2 to be the best, when in reality 4 or 5 should avoid the focus to seek new focus, but keep trajectory on the original subject.

In the D850, I could easily set the focus tracking to ignore something passing in front during a pan. The Z9 all too often grabs at random once focus is lost from a passing object (real or bright).

Focus is lost during early morning or late afternoon and pan passes a bright object, focus jumps to bright object.
Subject in sudden downward trajectory focus on head or eye, and rider looks to next jump - focus grabs background, particularly if tree leaves in back (yet in NX studio focus point on or near head, and breaks to the trees or sky (I need to try 'erratic').

I checked in NX Studio, and tracking is iffy. What is worse, I'm tracking a head, AND the red focus IS ON THE HEAD, during the 20fps sequence, for no reason it will grab the scenery then jump back to the head after the 2-3rd shot. Tried various a1 to no avail and a2 to no real change.

My beef ... I tried many setting with the Z9 - too long to bore you here - but the Olympus M1X w/40-150mm f/2.8 PRO latches on and does not let go at 15+fps in RAW (particularly in pro capture, that could be a clue) - and keeps focus in the rain (with no rain gear!), so it can be done.

The Z9 is very quick to grab the subject if I think about it while not looking through the finder, but in actuality there is too long a delay to grab the head or eyes of a fast moving subject (subject may have moved 8-10ft before eye/head is grabbed. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe the M1X dual processor is faster??

Unfortunately I need to shoot tight with the M1X, as every pixel counts. The Z9, when working is SPLENDID and give me room to spare and crop in post. My 10 cents (inflation).

>> to have Nikon apologize for providing an update with a BUG ..

A bug is not the issue, the issue is blaming myself and wasting time trying to get it right when in fact it's internally known and shared by the clique. Apologies are not needed, but transparency is needed.

If I knew it was a bug, I could always go back to BBF to capture to subject. I'll be doing BBF until fixed. Obviously I'm not amused.

Last edited:
Just to be clear - I'm part of Nikonians but not supported in any way by Nikon. I'm simply an NPS member.

Thanks - I'll try to share what I can as these programs come up. There is another program with Paul van Allen next month.

As far as tracking and Lock on are concerned, it's a trade-off. You can set the camera to stay with a subject longer, but that means it stays with an incorrect subject longer as well. Or you can choose faster, and it picks up a new subject faster, but is not as sticky. It's not a setting you change once and leave - it's something you actively use and tweak depending on what you are photographing.

The other thing Reed Hoffman mentioned last month is to use a smaller AF area if you are struggling for focus. Wide Small or Wide Large are preferred to Area if you are struggling.

Paul van Allen has mentioned a couple of times the connection between scene recognition using matrix metering and focus AI subject recognition. IF the camera is using matrix metering and recognizes a portrait, the camera will expect to look for a head and eyes and know where to look.

FWIW, Ricci (Nikon School UK) talked a bit about it in his talk with the Grays of Westminster folks here:

And he did suggest there may be a related FW update coming.

Obviously he doesn't speak for Nikon, but it was of interest.

And no, I don't remember where in that long video they talked about that subject :-D

> is to use a smaller AF area ..

Yes, tried all. So far the best for me is a small wide rectangle just above the middle horizon to grab above the jump, and get the head/helmet.

What is interesting, is that it will pick up a person's head outside the focus rectangle. I know not why.

Which may be why it will also picks up a white post (or other bright white object in the 'decoration'!), even if outside the rectangle. I found people was better than auto in subject detection. My guess is that it can look faster using one mode, rather than trying all subject combinations.

> I'm part of Nikonians but not supported in any way by Nikon. I'm simply an NPS member.

Indeed I realize that, and appreciate your sharing, time effort and PATIENCE to help the community. Be careful, there may be a non disclosure agreement <g>. They may pull your membership! Some may see a collaborator <vbg>.

FWIW, the M1X will lock onto a white/black target and stick to it. Obviously I have 5 days off.

So my subject have a black/white suit, or white saddle pad /black saddle, or the white patch on a horse's head. The M1X locks on and stays locked even if passing poles, shrubs, etc. In the M1X I set a focus delay so it tracks a trajectory waiting until it can re acquire. My closest guess, is it behaves like a GPS entering a tunnel and losing signal, even if no signal, it knows the speed you entered into the tunnel and location, and tracks expecting to find you when you come out.

BTW, I also found "Wide-area AF C1" and "C2" to be the same. It's up to me to select the focus box size for each one. The manual does not mention this, but alludes to them being different. No so. Just gives me a quick way to change box in the heat of the moment .. I like it. Wide-area AF uses color to latch on - so claimed, Dynamic-area does not (so claimed) and may be closer to the M1X method (contrast), but something fails in the Z9 - at least for my niche.

Maybe I'll go back to birds and mushrooms so no need to rebrand.

With pre-release capture, you often capture a lot of frames and know there was obviously no need for any of the series. Rather than deleting lots of high frame rate images individually, you can delete the entire burst or series using a new iMenu option. Go to first frame in the series. Viewfinder shows a stack icon. Select iMenu – Manage series / Delete – Deletes entire series – saves a lot of time in post processing
Thanks for sharing Eric.

For anyone else looking through this forum item:

I zoned in on the 'delete entire series' item. I have attempted to set this up previously, but had no luck and gave up, I have looked through the FW3.0 supplement document, specifically page 22. I set the check box for 'Mark first shot in series' in the Playback display options and so I do see the multi photos icon with the number of shots when I display photos. Under the "series Playback' menu item I have toggled on the 'Sub-selector displays first shot' and 'List series as single thumbnails' options. The latter is the only thing I see as required in the FW 3.0 supplement manual for the 'Manage series' option to work.

When I view the first shot of a series and press the i-Menu button the 'Manage series' option appears, then I hit the right arrow and I see the sub menu displayed. However, 'Protect' is the only option highlighted. When I try to select the grayed out 'Delete' option I get the 'This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state' error message.

Thinking I am missing something, any ideas on what that might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for sharing Eric.

For anyone else looking through this forum item:

I zoned in on the 'delete entire series' item. I have attempted to set this up previously, but had no luck and gave up, I have looked through the FW3.0 supplement document, specifically page 22. I set the check box for 'Mark first shot in series' in the Playback display options and so I do see the multi photos icon with the number of shots when I display photos. Under the "series Playback' menu item I have toggled on the 'Sub-selector displays first shot' and 'List series as single thumbnails' options. The latter is the only thing I see as required in the FW 3.0 supplement manual for the 'Manage series' option to work.

When I view the first shot of a series and press the i-Menu button the 'Manage series' option appears, then I hit the right arrow and I see the sub menu displayed. However, 'Protect' is the only option highlighted. When I try to select the grayed out 'Delete' option I get the 'This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state' error message.

Thinking I am missing something, any ideas on what that might be would be greatly appreciated.
Is it showing the image stack of the entire series when you select the first image? Try sending Paul van Allen a note on Instagram. That is his preferred communication channel and he was on the call today.

Is it showing the image stack of the entire series when you select the first image? Try sending Paul van Allen a note on Instagram. That is his preferred communication channel and he was on the call today.
Thanks. Yes the icon with the number of images in the stack does show up on the first image.

Nikon just sent out a survey following up on the program. I asked them to include UK and Europe NPS members where appropriate.
I’m at a complete loss, as you know, to understand why Nikon continues to want to keep non-NPS Nikon OWNERS, who are deeply financially invested in Nikon equipment, from attending these webinars, and keeping them in the dark concerning the functional capabilities of the equipment they have purchased. Everyone just seems to sit back and accept it. For my part, I’m of the view if I’ve paid for the product, as I have, I am equally entitled to the information. Perhaps you can put forth that question, because they sure aren’t listening to me or other non-NPS members.

I should add that I am very appreciative of you being willing to keep us non-NPS types aware of these presentations and sharing the information. But for you, I wouldn’t even know these sessions were occurring. What strikes me as particularly odd is Nikon’s refusal to permit taping and sharing of the information. One has to wonder what they have to hide. So to be clear, my angst is with corporate Nikon, and I am very appreciative of your efforts to keep us informed.

Last edited:
As a person who owns both A1 & Z9 & also being an Ex Software Architect I am in a much better position to understand what works & what does not work in the real world
The biggest issue that Z9 May be facing is poor GUI design & side effects when the design is changed
Also I wonder how many Nikon ambassadors used other mirrorless system ( specially A1) to give correct feed back to Nikon about good & bad design
For e.g even Sony RX 10 Iv ( 4 year old compact camera ) had group delete where as Nikon is implementing the feature in FW 3) . I had it & that camera was one of the reasons for me junto A1 ( apart from Steve’s review & availbility of 200 600)
Nikon certainly needs to seriously look into its software processes to get its act together
I am yet to upgrade to FW 3 & will wait for some time before upgrading
The one thing that amazes me is the rock steady videos delivered by Z9 with 500 PF ( A1 is no patch to it & is pretty shaky hand holding)

Last edited:
Back