Occasionally unresponsive buttons - Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,

My Z8 menu and play buttons become unresponsive occasionally and start working without restarting after a while. I am trying to find out if anything I am doing might be causing it but I couldn't figure it out yet.

Does anyone else also experience the same? I'll be talking to Nikon tomorrow but thought to put it on the forum just in case someone knows what is going on.

TIA.

Yes, I noticed that yesterday when I was tweaking some settings but I thought that's the way they're supposed to work after the camera goes to sleep. It is strange because after I read your post they seem to be working now. However, The i button is now doing it. I have to press it twice before it starts working. That's the very same thing that was happening with the menu and play buttons on the initial press.

Yes, I’ve had that happen, on my i button. The behavior is very infrequent though. Most of the time it doesn’t occur but when it does pushing the button repeatedly elicits no response. I pretty much ignore it when it happens, and go on with using the camera and next time I go back to the i button, it works. And once it happens and I get it working I won’t have the problem again during that shooting session. Thanks for bringing this up.

I haven't experienced non-responsive buttons, but I am having an issue where aperture does not stay where i set it. I shoot manual mode. Several times now I've noticed aperture has a value other than desired. Set it at f8 for example once today, then noticed it was at f2.8. Seems to just do what it wants......

An intermittent occurrence on my Z9, too. I did mention it once to Nikon when my Z9 was in the shop being repaired (for something else) but we agreed that unless it could be replicated in the shop.... The frequency of the 'issue' on my Z9 has got to be 1 in multiple thousands of button uses, and while I've done NO systematic testing or observation of it, there is no single button on which the unresponsiveness occurs. I simply find myself going, wtf, and then the button responds and I assume I've not pressed it directly or firmly enough or the like.

I used to have a similar issue when i got my Z9, until i realized that while holding the camera in from of me one of my left fingers was gently pressing the AF button on the side of the body.

Just want to post an update.

I am unable to reproduce the issue and it seems the issue was because of how I was holding the camera while using the menu. I was holding the lens with my left hand and that might be pushing one of the fn buttons which caused the non-responsive menu/playback buttons.

Other than this I can't think why it happened as I can't reproduce it anymore.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

it seems the issue was because of how I was holding the camera while using the menu. I was holding the lens with my left hand and that might be pushing one of the fn buttons which caused the non-responsive menu/playback buttons.

I still do this with my Z6ii! Using my left hand to hold the camera while I chimp/look at the menu/change something I often press one of the FN buttons that are close to the lens.

I haven't experienced non-responsive buttons, but I am having an issue where aperture does not stay where i set it. I shoot manual mode. Several times now I've noticed aperture has a value other than desired. Set it at f8 for example once today, then noticed it was at f2.8. Seems to just do what it wants......
My guess is the ring on your lens is set to something else causing it to change if you're on a z lens.

This is the most common user issue with "my settings are randomly changing".

Also, if you're on a z9, my guess would be the secondary dials aren't locked and you're moving them accidentally.

My guess is the ring on your lens is set to something else causing it to change if you're on a z lens.

Also, if you're on a z9, my guess would be the secondary dials aren't locked and you're moving them accidentally.
Happened on mostly non-Z lenses.

I’ve had this with my Z 8 and previously with my Z 7ii. None of the buttons work when it happens. I will see if I’m pressing or turning something with my left hand the next time I experience it. (The Z 7ii has gone to MBP so it will be my Z 6 and Z 8 that I’m monitoring…).

Every time I've heard of this happening it was because another button was accidentally being pressed at the same time. For those of us with the Z9, it was usually some button on the integrated grip being depressed because the lock on the grip that is supposed to prevent this very easily gets pushed to the unlocked position.

Got my Z 8 a couple of weeks ago. Today I was out and noticed the Menu button was unresponsive at some points. Repeated presses had no effect, I just waited it out.
I figured the battery misbehaved due to temps in the 30s. Then decided to Google "z8 not responding to menu button" and came across this post. I guess it's not the temps or battery then.

Yes, I had this kind of problem as well and that was my fix

Back