Of all the camera's you've used/owned what's your favorite?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Extensivly use Nikon Z cameras (and Nikon DSLRs before that and Nikon film cameras before that). The Z cameras and the DSLRs are/were very functional, reliable but somewhat soulless. About as exciting as a screwdriver or a hammer - the exact tools needed for a specific task but easily interchangeable with similar offerings from other brands and easily replaceable with any newer version that may come along. None of these would be an (emotionally driven) favorite. They are very needed and appreciated but once replaced pretty much out of mind. Also not a fan of the larger size of current Nikon Z lenses (especially the mid-range primes). Optically they are outstanding but they are bulky. I bonded with interchangeable lens rangefinders over 50 years ago and all I have had (past and current) would be my favorites. Currently using a 25 year old M6 which is by far my favorite camera (with the M3 I had in the early 70's a very close second). Loved the CL I used for over 20 years. Also very much like my 4th version Fuji X100 and a newly acquired similar type fixed lens Leica camera.

1. Zenit E : Forever the first one I owned
  2. Leica M10 Monochrom : To learn to look at the light
  3. Sony A1 : For its ability to capture light with a 600mm GM
  4. Sony A9III : For its ability to capture moments others don’t catch

Last edited:
I am very new to photography compared to others responding. Started when I retired at the end of 2008 and borrowed my wifes Canon Rebel her first digital in 2009 and her canon pocket camera and went to Alaska in 2009. I explored a lot of photography types and styles, macro, 4x5 large format film, studio portraits, light painting and on and on.

I was a hunter, fisherman, backpacker, bike rider, xc and dh skier etc. and love the outdoors.

The camera that got me hooked on wildlife was the D300s, and the camera that got me hooked on birds including birds in flight was the Nikon D4s, that was my first introduction into high frame rates, fast focus, low light high ISO capability even up to 12,800. It was a great camera and along with Sigma 150-600 sport and Tamron 150-600 G2 that got me into the world of VR/IS and very portable hand held bird chasing photography.

D500 was a great bird photography body and D850 had a D500 built in. D6 was a souped up D4s.

Number 1 is:

For a birder and bird ID photographer where subjects are unpredictable all sizes, all terrain, weather, habitat and light but seldom closer than 20 feet the Z9 (about fW 4.0 and up now at fw 5.0) and Z800 mm have been my dream come true.
Withe you on the D300 D4S it drove a passion for me as well.

My favorite camera in the 20th Century was the Pentax LX. It was small and light-weight. Now I like the Nikon Z8ii; that is also small and light-weight camera.

From a Minolta SR7->Asahi Pentax->to this Nikon “F” in 1970. I shot with this camera for over 30 years and still have it. From the Vietnam War, western mountains and northern Ontario this camera served me well. I added the 43-86, first zoom ever made, arguably the worst lens ever. I had a good one however. When Nikon came out with the D100 I was smitten with the digital frontier and the “F” was put out to pasture. The migration through several DSLRs (D100, 200, 7000, 750, 500, 850s) left me thinking the D850 was the last camera I would use or need. I was wrong.
IMG_0421.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I had been shooting wildlife and the the mirror flap was scaring the critters. Nikon was late to the mirrorless party but rumors were flying that a new “flagship” model was being developed. It was worth the wait. I have the Z9, Z8 and the D850, which still gets some service. What could possibly be next?🤔

For me, similar story to others...started with a Nikon FE in 1981, and years later thought D850 was "The Best Ever". My Z8 is steadily convincing me it deserves that title.

Side comment - I'm struck by how many Sony A1 fans have chimed in, saying "not even close". To avoid derailing this awesome thread...if any folks that love the A1 might be willing to PM me with a few thoughts on their experience and why A1 is so awesome, I'd love to learn. Online reviews don't make it obvious this would be the case vs Z8. Thanks!

I am happy with my Canon R7 and 5Ds. Cheap to run and much better at taking photographs than I am. That being said I believe I was happiest taking landscapes with a Sinar 5x4. Slow but gave me time to compose the image.

Forgot to mention that one of the best portraits I did of my mother was a polaroid BW.
Have you ever owned a Canon EOS? How does it compare to an R7?

Have you ever owned a Canon EOS? How does it compare to an R7?
I have been photographing birds for a long time [ just for fun ]. The R7 is good enough for me. The 5Ds is better for some things but for birds I use the R7 95% of the time. Take lots of photos and enjoy yourself. Join a camera club and join a bird watchers group. Lots to learn before worrying about the tools, first learn about what you want to photograph. Best of luck.

Z 24-120 is light and produces great images. The Tamron Z mount 35-150 f/2-f/2.8 is flat out amazing but it is far heavier as you might expect than the 24-120 I have used both indoors and outdoors but for the most part I use the 14-120 outdoors and the 35-150 indoors in all the funky light and non stop action of the special events I photograph at church and I have never had a lens with the capabilities it has as the Tamron rep says it is a workhorse.
Canon EOS 1300D

Back