Ol fart old style?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well I said all the above about mirrorless cameras and just had them wrote off as glorified cell phone cameras. I was shopping for a used D5 for a few weeks because I've never been very happy with my D850 for shooting birds and wildlife in those periods of just after dawn and just before dark. I bid an a few and was constantly losing on the D5s when they got higher than I wanted to spend for what I considered would be a specialty camera for me. I'm just a hobby shooter these days and make no money with my equipment anymore. My 200-500 Nikon and my D500 is my go-to combo for wildlife and my d850 and D810 are my first choices for landscapes and general purpose cameras. Three days ago I decided to try a Nikon Z7 with the 24-70 kit lens. After a brief learning days all I can say now is WOW! I just love the EVF and the ability to just dial in my settings until the photo looks great and fire the QUIET shutter. Last night I went out to shoot the moon and ended up taking shots of the night sky free hand. It took amazing photos and the sky lit up like I was using a flash. My FTZ adapter is on backorder so right now I'm stuck with just the one lens but the Z3 has definitely found a home with me. I guess you can teach and old dog some new tricks...

Still not a mirrorless believer. I really do not want to switch from DSLRs. I did enjoy Steve's D6 review so much so that I bought a lottery ticket and...well...still shooting my D5. If my retirement business continues at its current pace, a D6 may well be in the near future and add to my Nikon learning curve.

Well I said all the above about mirrorless cameras and just had them wrote off as glorified cell phone cameras. I was shopping for a used D5 for a few weeks because I've never been very happy with my D850 for shooting birds and wildlife in those periods of just after dawn and just before dark. I bid an a few and was constantly losing on the D5s when they got higher than I wanted to spend for what I considered would be a specialty camera for me. I'm just a hobby shooter these days and make no money with my equipment anymore. My 200-500 Nikon and my D500 is my go-to combo for wildlife and my d850 and D810 are my first choices for landscapes and general purpose cameras. Three days ago I decided to try a Nikon Z7 with the 24-70 kit lens. After a brief learning days all I can say now is WOW! I just love the EVF and the ability to just dial in my settings until the photo looks great and fire the QUIET shutter. Last night I went out to shoot the moon and ended up taking shots of the night sky free hand. It took amazing photos and the sky lit up like I was using a flash. My FTZ adapter is on backorder so right now I'm stuck with just the one lens but the Z3 has definitely found a home with me. I guess you can teach and old dog some new tricks...
That's fantastic. I'm definitely NOT going to try one out then!? ( My story may read the same!). To be honest, absolutely, if I could afford to, I would go mirrorless. Let's face it, it's the future. Nothing better than progress!!

To be honest, absolutely, if I could afford to, I would go mirrorless. Let's face it, it's the future. Nothing better than progress!!

Well, I wouldn't. Not yet. The AF on the mirrorless Nikons isn't as good as that of the DSLRs. Not for BIF. That's not progress, is it?

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't. Not yet. The AF on the mirrorless Nikons isn't as good as that of the DSLRs. Not for BIF. That's not progress, is it?
Can't comment, I've never tried one.? ATM I'm happy with my D750, it gives me what I want and I'm happy with its performance. I'll give a "Z" a try when I can afford to buy it. ( In case I like it!!)

I’ve gone from a Nikon FM to a Sony SLT-A55 to a Nikon D7100 to a Nikon D7500. My next camera will be a Nikon D780. I’m much more comfortable using DSLR’s. The extra weight really doesn’t bother me and I’m more attuned to the controls.

Strap on the D3S with 200-400 for a while..lol
My Hasselblad ELM clocks out to about 1.25 frames per second and about 8 pounds with the 350 attached. Is that heavy enough?
It serves me well in the summer (today 111 degrees) if I take off the lens , put it on a tripod, sit in front of it and use the mirror as FAN

Back