OM Systems OM-1/100-400 Cheat Sheet

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tom Reynolds

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I created this Cheat Sheet for my wife Ginnie so she can remember how to setup her camera for BIF.

------------------------------------------
OM-1 100-400 settings for Bird Photography

Normal
  • Silent sequential shutter 20 f/s. Only two drive modes selectable are silent shutter 20 f/s and ProCapture SH2, 25 f/s, the maximum allowed with the 100-400
  • Auto ISO
  • Largest aperture possible. This can be set by setting the Zoom lens to 100MM and setting the F/stop to F/5. The F/stop will increase-decrease automatically as the lens is zoomed in and out.
  • Adjust ISO compensation by pressing and holding the REC button and rotating the command dial until the histogram is at its lightest settings without displaying orange shading in the frame that designates blown-out highlights.
  • AF Area is all. Only two AF Areas selectable are small and all. AF Area can be changed by pressing the LIVE VIEW button and rotating the command dial. Subject ID:Birds. Subject ID can be turned on-off with the EXP COMP button

• Custom Modes
  • White Bird (C4) Press the ISO button. Identical to Normal EXCEPT ISO compensation is initially set to -1.3 ev. Changes to Normal are independent from White Bird. Adjust ISO compensation in White Bird to suit by pressing and holding the REC button and rotating the command dial until the histogram is at its lightest settings without displaying orange shading in the frame that designates blown-out highlights.
  • BlackBird (C2) Press the AF-ON button. Identical to Normal EXCEPT ISO compensation is initially set to +1.3. Changes to Normal are independent from Black Bird. Adjust ISO compensation in Black Bird to suit by pressing and holding the REC button and rotating the command dial until the histogram is at its lightest settings without displaying orange shading in the frame that designates blown-out highlights.
  • ProCapture (C3) Press the AEL Button. Identical to Normal EXCEPT drive mode is set to ProCap SH2 (25 f/s, focus on every frame) Changes to Normal are independent from ProCap. Adjust ISO compensation in ProCapture by pressing and holding the REC button and rotating the command dial until the histogram is at its lightest settings without displaying orange shading in the frame that designates blown-out highlights.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:
1-BBAF on the OM-1 is NOT the same as a shutter half-press. A shutter half-press starts the pre-Capture (ProCapture) when in ProCapture. BBAF does not so I don't use BBAF. I wish it did, however, because maintaining half-press for a minute is not easy. 2-2-This lens is limited to 25 f/s.

Back