Orlando Wetlands

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Worth a visit. Mornings are best there for the light, the boardwalk is a great place to set up earlier the better. It does get a bit crowded especially on the boardwalk so if you are on a tripod you will need to watch other people around you tripping on it. You will find at times that 600mm can be a bit close but it's worth it.

Worth a visit. Mornings are best there for the light, the boardwalk is a great place to set up earlier the better. It does get a bit crowded especially on the boardwalk so if you are on a tripod you will need to watch other people around you tripping on it. You will find at times that 600mm can be a bit close but it's worth it.
maybe i should shoot the 180-600 instead, but i was really wantimng to work the 600 f/4. I may also take my z100-400 and put it on my Z8 with the 600 on my Z9. May be too much to deal with. Maybe i just get what i get with the 600 and not worry about it.

maybe i should shoot the 180-600 instead, but i was really wantimng to work the 600 f/4. I may also take my z100-400 and put it on my Z8 with the 600 on my Z9. May be too much to deal with. Maybe i just get what i get with the 600 and not worry about it.
I find 600mm there is fine there and what I shoot at the most. There are times you can be closer to the wildlife but usually you can position yourself easily to accommodate the longer lens. Also, from the boardwalk the view of the spoonbills is to the east so you get the nice light on them in late afternoon. There should also be plenty of opportunities to shoot the 600mm with the TC engaged.

I find 600mm there is fine there and what I shoot at the most. There are times you can be closer to the wildlife but usually you can position yourself easily to accommodate the longer lens. Also, from the boardwalk the view of the spoonbills is to the east so you get the nice light on them in late afternoon. There should also be plenty of opportunities to shoot the 600mm with the TC engaged.
shooting monopod or tripid?

I was there this morning. I brought 180-600 on my Z9 and 70-200 on my Z8. Worked just fine. 100-400 on a Z8/Z9 would be fine, too. 400 or 600 primes would be outstanding but I like the flexibility of a zoom, here.

Spoonbills were sluggish this morning. Black Vultures, Egrets, Wood Storks, and Blue Herons were active. Gallinules were quite vocal all morning. A couple of gators sighted, drifting slowly.

Last edited:
Im heading down to FL in 2 weeks hopefully the wetlands will be active.
It's difficult to say and the situation can change significantly anywhere in two weeks. Wish you well and there are tremendous numbers of opportunities around there if you are willing to drive a couple of hours in either direction.

It's difficult to say and the situation can change significantly anywhere in two weeks. Wish you well and there are tremendous numbers of opportunities around there if you are willing to drive a couple of hours in either direction.
Every year around this time I take a 2 week tour of FL, having lived in Orlando for 25 years I know some good spots in FL. Traveling down thru Orlando then west and east coast and back up to SC.

Back