Osprey Communicating

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

K9Kirk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello all! I'm new to the forum ... I'm a survivor of the shipwreck, dpr, and I stranded here on the beach of BGF. It looks like a nice place to be stranded on, I think I'm going to like it here.
A shot of two osprey, one seemingly communicating to the other to land and take a rest from the harsh winds. Taken in Palmetto, FL.

014-studio-resized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hello all! I'm new to the forum ... I'm a survivor of the shipwreck, dpr, and I stranded here on the beach of BGF. It looks like a nice place to be stranded on, I think I'm going to like it here.
A shot of two osprey, one seemingly communicating to the other to land and take a rest from the harsh winds. Taken in Palmetto, FL.

View attachment 57747
Welcome to the Backcountry, great shots. Ospreys are fun to photography, easy target to practice.

Oliver

Welcome from a fellow osprey lover. I'd say what is going on is more about a territorial dispute, it looks like both are males, one may be defending his chosen nesting site and/or his female. Hard to say for sure based on a single photo.

Great shot! I would lower the birds in the frame and brighten the whites in shadow. Also, since you were lucky enough to get clouds in the BG, I would add contrast to the sky to really show the clouds.

Welcome to the Backcountry, great shots. Ospreys are fun to photography, easy target to practice.

Oliver

WELCOME to BCG! We are glad you joined us! Excellent action shot!

Welcome from a fellow osprey lover. I'd say what is going on is more about a territorial dispute, it looks like both are males, one may be defending his chosen nesting site and/or his female. Hard to say for sure based on a single photo.

Great shot! I would lower the birds in the frame and brighten the whites in shadow. Also, since you were lucky enough to get clouds in the BG, I would add contrast to the sky to really show the clouds.

Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome, everyone, I appreciate it.

I suppose it's a little harder to tell just looking at the picture but I watched the osprey on the left (a male) launch upwards to meet the female on the right. (notice the more pronounced necklace on the female) then the male landed on his perch again and the female landed next to him shortly after. I have a series of shots that shows that.

Last edited:
Terrific shot Kirk!

A little while ago, just before dusk in my back yard, two ospreys were chasing each other. The one below is anticipating the other and took off just before "impact". :)

S_DSC9936-Softness.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I suppose it's a little harder to tell just looking at the picture but I watched the osprey on the left (a male) launch upwards to meet the female on the right. (notice the more pronounced necklace on the female) then the male landed on his perch again and the female landed next to him shortly after. A have a series of shots that shows that.
The necklace thing isn't exact, I've seen males with pronounced necklaces and females with next to nothing. Given they landed on the same nest, this was something else though the one on the left is showing signs of irritation.

The necklace thing isn't exact, I've seen males with pronounced necklaces and females with next to nothing. Given they landed on the same nest, this was something else though the one on the left is showing signs of irritation.
Agreed, it's not exact, but taking into consideration it's mating season, I saw their behavior and it wasn't territorial, that they flew in together, landed together, and took off together is a pretty sure sign they're male and female.

Last edited:
Back