Osprey Photography as Sebastian Inlet

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would like to go to Sebastian Inlet FL mid-December to photograph diving Osprey. I plan to be there for 3 mornings and 3 evenings. The camera is a Nikon D7100 with original 18-300mm lens. It is not the newest, but neither am I. I plan to use Topaz Photo AI to make up for the limited reach of my lens. I am looking forward to a fun trip, hoping for a photo to print for my study wall, and several more photos to view on TV. What achievements can reasonably be expected?

Sebastian inlet is a wonderful place to shoot Ospreys. You can at times get really close to them and the 300 will be ok however my last trip I was shooting a 600mm and cropping. With a shorter lens you will have to pick your shots more as you need birds that will get in close. As for timing it can be hit and miss. I know folks who have gone in December and see a few a day and those who have gone and seen dozens at a time. Wind direction at the inlet along with time of day and sun position will dictate what shots you can get. I haven't been in December but I have been in January and March with great success.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I was there in March this year for 3 days and had a great time. I was shooting full frame and mirrorless (Z9). I mostly used the 500 mm PF lens and 1.4x TCIII, for an effective 700 mm f8 lens. Even at 700 mm, there were a number of times I cropped the resulting photo. However, there were also a few times when a bird was close enough that 700 mm was more lens than I needed/wanted. Wind direction, time of day, sun angles, and recent weather all may have an important impact on photo opportunities and the number of osprey around. On the best outing I had in March (an afternoon/early evening outing), I saw at least 19 osprey fishing at the same time in the inlet for a couple of hours.

I did try the Z 100-400 lens on my Z9 with the Z 1.4x TC (so 560 mm f8 at the long end). That was nice for the birds that came close, but on balance, I found the 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII more useful. Depending on circumstances, it might be nice to have a choice.

Using the D7100, you will benefit from a crop factor on your 18-300 mm lens, getting to a FOV equal to a 450 mm lens on a full frame body. Even so, you might consider taking a longer lens if you have access to one (including renting one) -- say the Nikon 200-500 mm zoom or the 500 mm PF.

Mark Smith does workshops there for osprey photography. His work is pretty amazing. I have not done his osprey workshop (I hope to at some point), but I have done his spoonbill workshop and found it both fun and useful.

Good luck.

Sebastian inlet is a wonderful place to shoot Ospreys. You can at times get really close to them and the 300 will be ok however my last trip I was shooting a 600mm and cropping. With a shorter lens you will have to pick your shots more as you need birds that will get in close. As for timing it can be hit and miss. I know folks who have gone in December and see a few a day and those who have gone and seen dozens at a time. Wind direction at the inlet along with time of day and sun position will dictate what shots you can get. I haven't been in December but I have been in January and March with great success.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Hello,
I will be at Sebastian inlet next week and would like to know what is the best spot to photograph the ospreys. I never been there.
Thank you,
John

Trip results. The first evening and morning and evening of the next day it was windy with rough water. Note: there was lots of fine spray, I would only change lenses when I got inside my car. There were several Osprey, but they mostly just flew with very little diving. I got lots of flying photos and photos of other birds. I took most of my photos from the pier on the south side. The next morning, I again got there before dawn. This time I went to the little pond like area on the northwest side. I got specular sunrise photos. I stood on one of the paths from the parking area to the beach. The bushes on the sides if the path framed the photo and the sun was just behind the bridge. The breeze was calm. While it was just starting to get light (to dark for my camera system) over a dozen Osprey showed up. Lots of them were diving and a few caught fish. I got a set of photos of one watching, diving, outstretched claws, hitting the water, and taking off. Unfortunately, no fish. I had to leave to soon to drive home. Lessons learned. The "no see ums" really chewed up my feet on the last morning. I felt them but would not leave before I had to. The rented Nikon 200-500 lens certainly had greater reach than my Nikon 18-300 lens. Its weight was not a problem, even at my age of 81. I had done dumbbell exercises for 2 months in preparation. What was a problem was the amount of turns needed on the 200-500 lens to change its zoom from a wide zoom to spot the birds and then a bigger zoom for the photo. Part of the problem was likely my inexperience with the 200-500 lens. My 18-300 lens was far superior at this and I was more proficient with it after years of using it. I got some good photos with it. None of my photos even approached those of Mark Smith, but it was fun and I consider it a successful trip. I thank Mark Smith for the lessons I learned from his videos.

Hello,
I’m finally in FL again!
Sebastian Inlet is on my list.
I have a sensitive question though, I’m Jewish, I cannot be at a place where the beach has swimming people (women).
Is it possible to photograph Ospreys without being at a swimming beach?

Thanks 🙏

Hello,
I’m finally in FL again!
Sebastian Inlet is on my list.
I have a sensitive question though, I’m Jewish, I cannot be at a place where the beach has swimming people (women).
Is it possible to photograph Ospreys without being at a swimming beach?

Thanks 🙏
Sebastian inlet is your place! You will be on a pier with fisherman. I’ve never seen anyone swimming. The current of the inlet is usually strong and not allowed. The beach is behind you and I’ve not seen people swimming or laying out on the beach there.

T
Sebastian inlet is your place! You will be on a pier with fisherman. I’ve never seen anyone swimming. The current of the inlet is usually strong and not allowed. The beach is behind you and I’ve not seen people swimming or laying out on the beach there.
Thank you so much David.
I’m having a hard time being up 6am.
Its a 90 minute drive from west palm.
Is the action only in morning, Or during the day as well?

Possible for a GPS address? Link?

Thank you.
(P.s.
You think I can capture Ospreys without a global shutter and pre raw?😃)

Hey Joel, I wouldn’t waste the time and effort at SI, this time of year. There are a couple resident osprey, though the bulk have moved on to nesting sites. If you want to see a large number, in close proximity, nearby Blue Cypress Lake is the place to be though you’ll need to hire a boat.

Hey Joel, I wouldn’t waste the time and effort at SI, this time of year. There are a couple resident osprey, though the bulk have moved on to nesting sites. If you want to see a large number, in close proximity, nearby Blue Cypress Lake is the place to be though you’ll need to hire a boat.
Thank you.
How do I go about hiring a boat?! And about what are the prices?
(Some stuff I have Zero experience…)

What about spoonbills? - Wife wants that..

We have the Z8/9
600 & 800 pf
70-200 with TC’s

Morning is one side and evening would be the other side of the inlet. Wind direction will indicate a lot about best times of day. Do some searching there are other threads that I’ve provided maps and more details. At a trade show and only have my phone on me.

For spoonbills right now, Stick Marsh is hard to beat and it's closer for you than driving to the Wetlands. They're right in nest building phase and the action is great. Be there at sunrise and you'll have around 1 1/2-2 hours of non-stop action before the light becomes intense. If you really want to go to SI, it costs around $8/day and you can park on either/both sides of the inlet (bridge). The inlet faces almost perfectly NE so plan accordingly for sun and check local wind directions. There are beaches on the Atlantic side and while people lay out, they don't tend to swim/bathe there as much as the lagoon on the river (see map marked BEACH). As I mentioned, there are only a couple resident osprey right now so you are better off heading to BCL. If you kayak and have access to one, that's the best way to navigate BCL because access is limited. I'm hesitant recommending particular guides/boats since my experience has largely been on kayak and I haven't rented a boat there for >5-10 years. I think there are outfits which still rent kayaks and they are located around Middleton's which is where you want to be. The better cypress trees are on the west side of the lake though the entire lake offers great opportunities.

Sebastian Inlet.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
BCL.jpg
Area.jpg
Stick Marsh.jpg

Last edited:
Stick March is good for Spoonbiills, and I've heard Orlando Wetlands is good, but don't have personal experience.
Last week I was at Orlando Wetlands and at Black Point Drive on Merritt Island. Lots of Spoonbills at Orlando Wetlands. Only saw a few on Merritt Island.

Last week I was at Orlando Wetlands and at Black Point Drive on Merritt Island. Lots of Spoonbills at Orlando Wetlands. Only saw a few on Merritt Island.
That is over 2 hours drive each way.
As much as I want to see spoonbills, drivers 4+hours isn’t vacation for my brain. I get stressed from driving. Thata my personal limitation.
I used to drive a school bus in morning, then a kindergarten teacher. By the time I got to school my brain was half drained. I’m still trying to figure out why I get so exhausted /tired sitting behind the wheel.

Maybe its Ozempic which is causing me less energy…

@JoelKlein, are you going to Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands in Palm Beach County? On eBird.org, Spoonbills have been reported at both locations this week.

I hope you can find some Spoonbills while you’re in Florida. They are breathtaking to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_8113.jpeg
    IMG_8113.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
@JoelKlein, are you going to Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands in Palm Beach County? On eBird.org, Spoonbills have been reported at both locations this week.

I hope you can find some Spoonbills while you’re in Florida. They are breathtaking to watch.
Both are about 40 mintues drive. Perfect! can I leave now or its too late?
which one should I choose?!
Wakodahatchee Wetlands, 13270 Jog Rd, Delray Beach, FL 33484
or
Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands, 12800 Hagen Ranch Rd, Boynton Beach, FL 33437

I prefer Wakodahatchee but the locations are close to each other. If it’s a sunny day the light will be harsh right now. If you can wait a couple of hours it’s better to get there a hour or two before dusk.

I usually try to get there before sunrise because the light is better and once the sun is up parking will be hard to find.

Have fun!

Both are about 40 mintues drive. Perfect! can I leave now or its too late?
which one should I choose?!
Wakodahatchee Wetlands, 13270 Jog Rd, Delray Beach, FL 33484
or
Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands, 12800 Hagen Ranch Rd, Boynton Beach, FL 33437
Ooookay, Went to both locations. First to Wakodohatchee, arrived 6PM (heavy traffic) With the Z600 & 800 pf.
I was amazed how close the birds are. I wished I had with me the 100-400, but lens rentel didn’t have it available for my dates.
The 800 was way too long, or maybe not. Will see on the laptop later. The 600 was better.

At 7PM we were asked out, they close on 7PM. So we hopped over to Green Cay, arrived almost 7:30ish glad I had all gear in car, We took the 70-200 & 50/1.8 it was really no more shooting time. But, against all odds, about 8pm we found a lonely Spoonbill! First time we see it in real life. Its a much smaller bird of what I had anticipated. The birdy was kind enough to come close to get some burst shots in a variety of shutter speeds and ISO. We then switched to Video, until it was literally dark.

Thank you for the help though.
It’s a start…

Thank you.
How do I go about hiring a boat?! And about what are the prices?
(Some stuff I have Zero experience…)

What about spoonbills? - Wife wants that..

We have the Z8/9
600 & 800 pf
70-200 with TC’s

DV Wildlife Photography (https://www.dvwildlife.com/)

Osprey Tour on Blue Cypress Lake - Vero Beach, Florida
Available Dates: May 8th to May 18th 2023

Eagles + ospreys this time of year @:
Bald Eagle & Raptor Tour - Gainesville, Florida
Available Dates: Year-Round

Back