Out of focus bird but in focus fly dilemma....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

An artistic question..... I normally discard non sharp images, but am torn with this one..... I was shooting with my Z9, and had 'Blocked shot af response' set to the fastest setting.
This European Robin was bang in focus until the fly flew into frame.... I was amazed at the accuracy of the camera to switch focus so quickly to the fly, but felt disappointed
that the Robin was now out of focus. I then wondered if the shot could still work with the robin flying directly for the in focus fly.
Does the robin really need to be what is in focus or can i get away with this? ....Thanks for any thoughts....

Robin-Z9A_5292-Enhanced-NR-1 by ivor ottley, on Flickr

Thanks for the response Steve..... I think its probably a case of not the best shot, but it does tell a story....I'm sorry i seem to have posted this in the wrong section....meant to be in 'critique'....if you want me to repost please let me know.

If I may, this is not a critique but rather a question: Is it possible to have both bird and fly in focus?
The depth of field would need to be very wide...this was shot at f8. Given the light available i couldn't have achieved the shutter speed needed (1/5000) with a higher f stop but in better light technically , yes the wider the depth of field, the more in focus both would be.

An artistic question..... I normally discard non sharp images, but am torn with this one..... I was shooting with my Z9, and had 'Blocked shot af response' set to the fastest setting.
This European Robin was bang in focus until the fly flew into frame.... I was amazed at the accuracy of the camera to switch focus so quickly to the fly, but felt disappointed
that the Robin was now out of focus. I then wondered if the shot could still work with the robin flying directly for the in focus fly.
Does the robin really need to be what is in focus or can i get away with this? ....Thanks for any thoughts....

Robin-Z9A_5292-Enhanced-NR-1 by ivor ottley, on Flickr
Works for me. The fly is the one with the large problem in the background(being eaten)👍👍👍

For me it is fine that the focus is on the dam in this case, the only thing that seems to me is that the image falls in impact because it is a very severe crop... or so it seems... I'm not sure, or too much treatment to remove the noise...can it be?? Greetings

The image works for me. I like the emphasis on the fly, and the dark background behind the fly helps to make it stand out. I also like the unusual perspective - looking straight at the fly and the bird. I photograph kites chasing and catching bugs, and this is ideal version of the money shot for kites.

My only preference is for a clearer and better defined fly. It's in focus, but hard to see any details on the fly.

Thanks for posting the shot. Whether a happy accident or a well timed success - the shot works and has prompted a good discussion.

I like the idea of it and the composition, the insect sharp and playing the role of subject and the story it tells is clear with the bird playing a supporting role. Something is off about this particular image though. The bird is out of focus but perhaps if has been strongly sharpened? The colors seem over saturated and the contrast too strong. I'd maybe play around with the new focus slider in lightroom, defocus the bird even more, and tone down the saturation and whatever is causing such strong contrast. Maybe select the insect and try for some detail in the dark parts.

I like the idea of it and the composition, the insect sharp and playing the role of subject and the story it tells is clear with the bird playing a supporting role. Something is off about this particular image though. The bird is out of focus but perhaps if has been strongly sharpened? The colors seem over saturated and the contrast too strong. I'd maybe play around with the new focus slider in lightroom, defocus the bird even more, and tone down the saturation and whatever is causing such strong contrast. Maybe select the insect and try for some detail in the dark parts.
Here is a softer edit.....

Robin 2 by ivor ottley, on Flickr

If I may, this is not a critique but rather a question: Is it possible to have both bird and fly in focus?

Sure…just needs smaller aperture for more DoF…but then depending on distances it might have affected the background more…and OP was likely trying to maximize shutter speed and minimize ISO amd didn’t expect the fly to show up. I might have tried sharpening up just the yes and face of the bird of that will work…but likely would just look plastic and over sharpened. The idea to make the bird even more blurred to emphasize the fly and its impending doom has merit as well.

Back