Packing Overkill

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodyg3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I bought one used XQD memory card from MPB, and this was the box it came in. LOL.

box.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I bought one used XQD memory card from MPB, and this was the box it came in. LOL.

View attachment 49190

Fact: the smaller the box the more likely it is to get lost. So shippers pay more in box and shipping costs but less on replacing shipped product. Navigating the claim dept of any package service is futile for shippers and recipients so insurance is meaningless.

Hopefully it wasn't loose inside an otherwise empty box!
Tones of brown paper balled up inside. :)

I was wondering if they also included the one sneaker next to the box in your picture in the box too?
LOL. No, I thought I should put something next to it for scale. :)

Fact: the smaller the box the more likely it is to get lost. So shippers pay more in box and shipping costs but less on replacing shipped product. Navigating the claim dept of any package service is futile for shippers and recipients so insurance is meaningless.
That makes sense. It's still really funny. Also, I wondered why not a padded envelope.

Many possible reasons. 1) They were out of smaller boxes. 2) Negotiated terms with their shipper for a flat rate regardless of package size or weight up to something like 50 or 100 pounds. So size didn’t matter. 3) Envelopes are sorted through a machine that rolls and squeezes them between rollers that could possibly damage an XQD card. 4) The employee filling the order had a sense of humor.

A Postmaster told me a few years back that at that time Amazon had negotiated a contract with USPS to have USPS deliver their packages, including special Sunday deliveries during the holiday season, of up to 105 pounds for a flat rate of $5 per package. USPS lost a significant amount of money on that deal, he said.

That’s what I e been thinking.

I've purchased quite a bit from MPB and the items have all been very well packed in large boxes with an abundance of crumpled kraft paper padding. I'm sure that's less expensive than having items damaged in transit, paying for returns, shipping a replacement and having an unhappy customer.

Back