PC laptop vs MACbook? Please no sectarian debate

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Windows workstation I use as a desktop and a MacBook Pro for a Laptop. I don’t notice the differences between the operating systems much anymore.

When shooting professional sports, I started with a Windows laptop and after a couple breakdowns decided to try a MacBook Pro. I’ve never looked back. I could not afford to be without a reliable laptop in the field. I ‘m sure my anecdotal reliability experience is just that and Mac can have problems as well. I seemed to have good luck with the windows laptops I used for work but I also had an IT department to immediately resolve any issues or get me a new laptop. I get AppleCare+ and feel I can always get good service from Apple.

I have always built my Windows Machines and am my own IT department. It has been years since my last custom build since I'm not currently shooting professional sports anymore and my current machine still works well but I am due for a new build. I’m thinking I can use my new M2 Max MacBook Pro as a desktop replacement. With an external keyboard, mouse and monitor it will more than fill desktop duties until I build a new PC if I ever feel I need to.

Be aware that you cannot add operating power to the MacBook Air, something about how they make them thin in size. I failed to pay attention when I got my last one and it has 8GB of operating memory and that is not enough for photo programs. This thread is good for me because I'm now debating what to get next, not a MacBook Air because of its small screen size. I'm planning on trading in three older desktop machines and both laptops...I hope they give me something for all five! Also, the MacBook Air does not have a fan and it is very loud running and seems to labor over time.
I’m very confused by your statements. RAM is not upgradable after purchase on any current M computer from Apple as it is all on a single chip. Storage is not upgradable after purchase either, but one can add external storage options. Lastly, the MacBook Air with M chip does not have a fan and is completely silent at all times. If you have one making noise, it must be an older intel version and that is a very different laptop.

It looks like I could store/access files on my Synology NAS from both Mac and PC without having to jump through any third party hoops, does anyone have any experience with this?

PS to @sportmaster welcome to capitalism. Not very many tech companies are good for the planet. I'm not ok with that but don't have much of an alternative.
Not experienced yet but I am setting up a Synology NAS on my home network and plan to share files between a number of windows and Mac machines. I set up a partition for Time Machine in case I want to use it for backing up my MacBook Pro.

I also purchased MacMini M2 some days ago and set it up (installed evething, not migrated). And I used perhaps 2 hours for that ... (Adobe, DXO, FinalCut, mails, Photomechanic, Topaz, Final Cut Plugins ... etc..) what amazed me was how fast and easy was to set it up - it connected to other my devices, synchronised... it was just increadible save of time!

But you need to keep in mind that not all Photoshop (and perhaps LR) plugins are compatible with M1/M2 (selicon technology vs. intel) Some software uses Rosetta (it is a software piece to make M1/M2 understand intel-Programs). The known software sure supported but plugins - not all of them (only a few at the moment)

I use PC at work and Mac at home, I was working also as linux Administrator so, OS is not a problem for me and I jump from one to the other .. but I am conviced that Mac OS is easier than Windows ;-) (from Admin perspective ;-)

So, I LOVE my Macs ;-)

I'm hanging on to my iMac 27" as it's a superb monitor tho very slow.....I still hope for a new version of the 27* ....

Probably not happening…or a new iMac Pro either IMO. The Studio display and the Mac Mini…or Studio…or the Mac Pro if we ever actually see that…are the replacement. Apple has become mostly a consumer company but wants to sell enough higher end units to main the cachet I believe It continues to amaze me that my wife’s M1 Air is faster than my 2015 MBP ever was and for less than half the price. The Studio and display are…mighty darned nice.

Back