If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gordon_g

Supporting Member
Well not really what I was hoping for but something is better than nothing.. Drove 6 hrs and it was horrible weather luckily I was able to get a couple shots before they bedded down and stopped moving.
ADSC9223.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Pose!
BDSC9251.jpg

Keeping The females inline...

ADSC9270.jpg

Last edited:
Not really sure How I feel about this Image... I wanted the Two elk in the background but don't have a good way to crop this... It's kinda cool because of the water running out of his mouth after drinking from the puddle in front of him... Thoughts??? Or just trash???

ADSC9162.jpg

Very nice Gordon, I haven't seen a bull with antlers that impressive in the elk range this year. Glad you got to see some elk, back in the 70s and early 80s it wasn't unusual to spend a day or two there and see nothing but deer. My favorite is the first, but they're all really nice. I don't think I'd do anything with the last one, it's fine as it is; some folks would really cheat and clone the two grazing cows to the other side of the bull -- please don't do that.

Very nice Gordon, I haven't seen a bull with antlers that impressive in the elk range this year. Glad you got to see some elk, back in the 70s and early 80s it wasn't unusual to spend a day or two there and see nothing but deer. My favorite is the first, but they're all really nice. I don't think I'd do anything with the last one, it's fine as it is; some folks would really cheat and clone the two grazing cows to the other side of the bull -- please don't do that.
Nope no worries that's too much!

The first ones are lovely. The last one is also very nice. I like it. I think I'd try cropping it so the two cows are at the very edge and give the bull more room to look into and
see how it looks. It looks pretty darned nice the way it is. :)

Great series Gordon. My favourite is the first, but they are all fantastic. Not sure what to do with the 4th, perhaps play with cropping like others have suggested. Lucky you seeing elk - certainly worth the 6 hour drive.

Great images, Gordon. I still have to get some good elk images - I'm envious of these. :)

As for your question about the last one: Unless the picture is a portrait shot, It always looks better when the subject is off center, in this case to the right of the image. To achieve that you have two options:
1) As Callie said, add real estate to the left. This will still include the two cows, but the animals will be smaller in the frame.
2) Crop the rightmost cow off as in the attached example. Easier, but perhaps not quite as effective as option 1.

Elk.jpg

Last edited:
Not really sure How I feel about this Image... I wanted the Two elk in the background but don't have a good way to crop this... It's kinda cool because of the water running out of his mouth after drinking from the puddle in front of him... Thoughts??? Or just trash???

View attachment 7468
Very easy to clone out in photoshop if you have it. You could then crop to have him a little farther right in the frame.

View attachment 7468
Nice shots Gordon! Where at in PA were these photos taken?

The first ones are lovely. The last one is also very nice. I like it. I think I'd try cropping it so the two cows are at the very edge and give the bull more room to look into and
see how it looks. It looks pretty darned nice the way it is. :)
Thanks Icarus! Yeah Kinda what I was thinking about the first time... Just have to play some more with that one... Unfortunately had I been paying more attention when taking that photo I would not be having this issue... (Live and learn right! )

Great series Gordon. My favourite is the first, but they are all fantastic. Not sure what to do with the 4th, perhaps play with cropping like others have suggested. Lucky you seeing elk - certainly worth the 6 hour drive.

Thanks Kathy! Yes I had my doubts, when I checked the weather the night before it was supposed to be warn and partly sunny... 45 minutes from arriving it started pouring rain... In the end it worked out. :)

Great images, Gordon. I still have to get some good elk images - I'm envious of these. :)

As for your question about the last one: Unless the picture is a portrait shot, It always looks better when the subject is off center, in this case to the right of the image. To achieve that you have two options:
1) As Callie said, add real estate to the left. This will still include the two cows, but the animals will be smaller in the frame.
2) Crop the rightmost cow off as in the attached example. Easier, but perhaps not quite as effective as option 1.

View attachment 7500

Not bad! Didn't think about trying this... I do like this better than my original.

Very easy to clone out in photoshop if you have it. You could then crop to have him a little farther right in the frame.

Yes I have Photoshop... and I know I could do that I'm just looking for options, There are so many Great Photographers here... there will be some really good idea's and really I'm doing this to force myself to think about something other than just getting a sharp image... (don't know if that makes sense or not). LOL

index.jpg
Gordon

Here it is. I just used content aware crop to pull the frame up and left. Once you have the larger frame, you can eyeball the ratio and crop as you want.
I just pulled it through Nik Viveza to make the sky a bit bluer, the buck a bit lighter and the colours a bit popper. it is not finished, if you like the idea, go and enjoy enlarging
:giggle: