Photo is not worth your life...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Iczek had a lapse in judgment concerning his safety. And it bit him in the 🫏 as they say… he’s very lucky and shamelessly told his story. I commend him for that…

However, his story pales by comparison to the one that surfaced in USA TODAY recently. A visitor to a zoo in India just had to have a “selfie” with the sleepy lions 🦁 to impress friends. So this idiot climbs over the enclosure and prepares the shots with his phone…. The lion(s) wake up! ……Lunch is served! Ya’ just can’t fix stupid!

This discussion came to mind when I heard the outcome of a young 18-year-old wildlife photographer who was recently found drowned in a lake at Indiana State Park. He'd been missing since this past Friday. They don't know yet what happened, he was alone and his kayak was found floating on the lake. His vehicle was on shore.

I think we all need to be aware regardless of how well we think we know an area and how many times we've been out. Sadly, it only takes one time...

With my underwater photography I needed to be vigilant and this is easier said then done when focused on a subject at depth. My worry was having to be rescued by my dive buddy or if I got bent having the dive boat need to try to get me to a hyperbaric chamber and ending the dive trip for everyone else on the boat. Even in wilderness areas I would not want to put others lives at risk if I needed to be rescued as a result of my pushing my luck.

Back