Photo of Z9 leaked

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So,
truly Pro caliber and Pro price range.
For myself personally I don’t mind spending 65 on a camera but 12 grand and up for something I can’t carry by hand isn’t what I’m looking for. I’m sure it’s perfect for many others.
I wonder if that 200-600 z mount will be comparable to what Sony offers now in regards to auto focus speed, size, weather resistance and weight??? I was going to wait and see but the more I see from Sony the closer I am to pulling the trigger.
My wife already said she is taking ALL my Nikon equipment when I do.
The perfect setup for myself would be Z9 living up to the hype and a Z mount 500 or 600 PF then I would stay with Nikon.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading that it looks like the Alpha 1 won’t be needing a name change, not this year anyway.
It was well known the R3 was not a high MP camera, but many expected it to be around 30MP. I don’t think there is a big difference between 24 and 30MP and don’t have an issue with it being 24MP which is a great resolution for many things. For people looking for high speed and high res, the options will be A1 or Z9 until Canon brings the R1 to market or they can get the R5. I’m interested to see how they price the R3 since they have already said it isn’t their flagship camera. My guess is it may be only a little more than the R5.

The leaked photos of the Z9 make the size look close the gripped Fujifilm X-H1 I had which wasn’t a bad size. It wasn’t huge But still had a good overall grip. I’m a little more curious about it now, but still think it’s more camera than I want to buy.

It was well known the R3 was not a high MP camera, but many expected it to be around 30MP. I don’t think there is a big difference between 24 and 30MP and don’t have an issue with it being 24MP which is a great resolution for many things. For people looking for high speed and high res, the options will be A1 or Z9 until Canon brings the R1 to market or they can get the R5. I’m interested to see how they price the R3 since they have already said it isn’t their flagship camera. My guess is it may be only a little more than the R5.

I am not sure on pricing. This R3 is not inferior to the 1dx mk3 in any aspect so I could see them at $6000 and over $7k on the R1 (with the A1 + grip at $6800 it wouldn't be far fetched). They decision is also very relevant for the Z9 pricing because Nikon won't price the Z9 at or below the R3 level.

The other thing to note is the monopod screwed directly to the lens foot...... no heads, gimbals or other contrivances.....simplicity.
That's pretty common among sports shooters that work from a relatively level playing field and don't do a lot of steep up or down tilting as wildlife shooters often do.

Looks pretty good to me. I like that it adds more buttons but seems to keep more or less the same layout for the ones that are on both the Z9 and Z6/7. Nikon so often likes to completely change the layout for just about everything between their entry-level, mid-range, and pro bodies. Consistency is nice :)

So does it have an FTZ adapter on it? are they producing a Z mount 180-400 that is not in the road map?

If we could buy one today what lens would there be available for birds and wild life?

Did anyone notice that there seems to be tape around the screen perimeter.
2450BD5D-4727-4CAD-ACC1-38AB20DC445B.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
2450BD5D-4727-4CAD-ACC1-38AB20DC445B.jpeg

These images are of a Prototype, probably. Hopefully, Nikon add the missing rear LCD, secure card cover, and final optimizations to Haptics.

A vibrant discussion across at FM is emphasizing how the time is up for Nikon to improve the Custom menu options to meet photographers' expectations. It's interesting how a critical mass have realised the much wider universe of menu options in CaSony.

This furore over Haptics contrasts against a high probability the core imaging and Autofocus engine will position the Z9 as industry leading, Significantly perhaps. Haptics matter of this camera have become all the more critical.

It will be very gormless of Nikon to panelbeat (yet again) a F5 cockpit into the Z9..... Unprecedented menu options are very long overdue, which embrace Nikon's logical menu structure , and improve its capabilities, radically. Nikon's strategy of drip feeding tiny improvements into menus (eg Recall Shooting Controls in D5 and D6) is too little late, too localised. Over 2 decades on, customization options of most of the controls are too restricted on a Nikon ILC, and Nikon continues to assume it knows best how a camera's controls must be configured.

Last edited:
These images are of a Prototype, probably. Hopefully, Nikon add the missing rear LCD, secure card cover, and final optimizations to Haptics.

A vibrant discussion across at FM is emphasizing how the time is up for Nikon to improve the Custom menu options to meet photographers' expectations. It's interesting how a critical mass have realised the much wider universe of menu options in CaSony.

This furore over Haptics contrasts against a high probability the core imaging and Autofocus engine will position the Z9 as industry leading, Significantly perhaps. Haptics matter of this camera have become all the more critical.

It will be very gormless of Nikon to panelbeat (yet again) a F5 cockpit into the Z9..... Unprecedented menu options are very long overdue, which embrace Nikon's logical menu structure , and improve its capabilities, radically. Nikon's strategy of drip feeding tiny improvements into menus (eg Recall Shooting Controls in D5 and D6) is too little late, too localised. Over 2 decades on, customization options of most of the controls are too restricted on a Nikon ILC, and Nikon continues to assume it knows best how a camera's controls must be configured.

In contrast to your thoughts, I am fine with the menu structure on the Nikon bodies. I find them to be more logical than most other cameras. I, however, would like to see Nikon introduce "optimized AF modes" in their custom menus. Canon bodies have the ability to select AF for erratic movement, for continuous movement, and for interfered movement. These coincide with sporting events like figure skating, track, and football (same for both either form).
With respect to haptics, I think Nikon needs to reinstate the ability to change AF coverage with one click of a button. As many have noted, this is not old tech and something present in the D500/D5 D850 & D6 (listed in order of introduction). The continued failure to include this simple firmware update in the Z-bodies is an irritant to those who like to shift away from dynamic or wider coverage to single spot quickly. Adding this feature and allowing 100% customization of all buttons on the camera would go a long way to matching what is common in Canon's body.
With respect to the screen, looking carefully, it appears that this screen on the Z9 is like that of the Z6/Z7. I can see why one might tape it down if they never plan on flipping it out... one less thing to catch on something in the bag and body. Being a pre-production camera, it is possible that Nikon has not finalized how they intend to secure to the screen to the body when not flipped out.

(by the way Woody... I always enjoy reading your posts, as you continue to expand my vocabulary... (adding gormless to my list of adjectives ;-p )
regards,
bruce

So does it have an FTZ adapter on it? are they producing a Z mount 180-400 that is not in the road map?

If we could buy one today what lens would there be available for birds and wild life?

Yes - it is using the FTZ and the standard 180-400.

The roadmap shows plans for a 400 f/4.8 and 600 f/4 as well as a 100-400 S lens. There is a 200-600 on the roadmap but I see that as an enthusiast lens to be paired with the lower cost iteration of an action body or with existing bodies.

I noticed there is a LAN button on the bottom left.

Yes - it is using the FTZ and the standard 180-400.

The roadmap shows plans for a 400 f/4.8 and 600 f/4 as well as a 100-400 S lens. There is a 200-600 on the roadmap but I see that as an enthusiast lens to be paired with the lower cost iteration of an action body or with existing bodies.

I noticed there is a LAN button on the bottom left.
That is not encouraging. I want a 200-600 lens if it is comparable to what Sony offers.
Lightning fast focus, dust proof, light weight and easy to carry hiking, great sharpness and overall quality.
im an enthusiast but willing to spend hard earned money on what works for me. Im no marketing genius but a Z mount 500 pf should be in the roadmap

That is not encouraging. I want a 200-600 lens if it is comparable to what Sony offers.
Lightning fast focus, dust proof, light weight and easy to carry hiking, great sharpness and overall quality.
im an enthusiast but willing to spend hard earned money on what works for me. Im no marketing genius but a Z mount 500 pf should be in the roadmap

The roadmap 200-600 lens is not an S lens - thus my comment. The 100-400, 400, and 600 are S lenses. I don't think you need to worry about optics and performance. Part of the goal with a 200-600 is the right price point. I'd expect the 200-600 is a 200-500 upgrade rather than a 180-400 replacement.

I'd expect to see PF lenses in the future. I've heard suggestions that they would be 400mm and 600mm or even longer - slightly longer than the F-mount versions. The roadmap was very thoughtful, but it only goes through 2022 and mainly through March 2022.

my guess is that Nikon’s 200-600mm will be comparable to the Sony. The silhouette looks more like the Sony than the F mount 200–500mm and I’d expect it to have similar performance to the Sony. The 200-500mm is a great value, but all the Z mount lenses seem to be better than the F mount equivalent, and more expensive. My guess is it will be between $2000-$2600 USD. Of course I could be wrong.

The roadmap 200-600 lens is not an S lens - thus my comment. The 100-400, 400, and 600 are S lenses. I don't think you need to worry about optics and performance. Part of the goal with a 200-600 is the right price point. I'd expect the 200-600 is a 200-500 upgrade rather than a 180-400 replacement.

I'd expect to see PF lenses in the future. I've heard suggestions that they would be 400mm and 600mm or even longer - slightly longer than the F-mount versions. The roadmap was very thoughtful, but it only goes through 2022 and mainly through March 2022.
. From my experience, I agree, even the non s lenses perform fantastic on the Z bodies. I am really enjoying my 24-200 as a all day carry around lens. I can’t wait to get the 200-600 when it becomes available!

This is pretty much how I see it too, thanks.
The results I see from Sony 200-600 don't look like much of a compromise for my needs. I don't think I will wait any longer.
I can always switch back if Nikon catches up to Sony. That would probably be about the time I retire in a few years and will be looking to spend more time with my hobbies. Big plans for the golden years.

This is pretty much how I see it too, thanks.
The results I see from Sony 200-600 don't look like much of a compromise for my needs. I don't think I will wait any longer.
I can always switch back if Nikon catches up to Sony. That would probably be about the time I retire in a few years and will be looking to spend more time with my hobbies. Big plans for the golden years.
Of course you are free to switch at any time, but why make the decision just months before expected announcements by Canon and Nikon? Tomorrow is already August and the R3 announcement is expected to be in September. Nikon is expected to release improved tracking firmware for the Z6ii/Z7ii in September which should give a glimpse into what the subject tracking will be like in the Z9, just slower. The Z9 is also expected to be fully announced before the end of November. I would expect we will will get a few Nikon super telephoto lenses with the Z9 announcement if not before. I’m personally hoping Nikon releases the 200-600mm with the Z firmware update in September. I‘m not one to normally recommend waiting for the next product announcement/release because you’ll find yourself waiting forever, but within the next 3-4 months, we should have a very good idea of what the other options consist of. Just my opinion, but why not wait a few months to have a much better idea of the available options if you don’t need it today. Six months or more ago, it would have been different, but we are too close now; for me at least.

Back